G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agree, that will work fine. I might look for one at a more reputable place like newegg though.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
For a few extra bucks you might want to get a Gigibit switch, they're pretty cheap and the same brand should do you fine. All it means is that you'll get faster transfers between devices that support a Gigabit connection.

Steve

S

Shrader

Audioholic
What is a good brand for these? that was just an example i posted the link to. I was thinking the "gigabit" type would be faster.

S

Shrader

Audioholic
Thanks for the advice guys, bought the tp-link 5 port.

G

Grador

On a side note, the gigabit switch will not give you gigabit speeds if your router is not gigabit.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
On a side note, the gigabit switch will not give you gigabit speeds if your router is not gigabit.
^^ This is pure horse poop. Gig Switch will make your local network run at gigabit speed, but it wont make internet faster and unless you live in Kansas City and have Google Fiber you don't need to worry about gig routers

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree, that will work fine. I might look for one at a more reputable place like newegg though.
Newegg used to have good CS (I heard some complains recently... ), but recently they raised the prices on most merchandise and hardly the cheapest any more on many products

Ebay seller has 57000 feedback with 99.8% Positive - This is more than enough reputation for me and paypal protection is 100% geared towards customers.
If you don't like the product they will side with you.

Z

zilla

Junior Audioholic
^^ This is pure horse poop. Gig Switch will make your local network run at gigabit speed, but it wont make internet faster and unless you live in Kansas City and have Google Fiber you don't need to worry about gig routers
Correct. But at least from the switch to the router it'd be fast haha. :D

G

Grador

Well yes, but under that condition it's never worth buying gigabit anything. I was more looking at from a computer, which is presumably plugged into the router -> switch. I never said anything about internet.

Newegg was listed as a quick example, as typing on my cellphone at work is hard.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well yes, but under that condition it's never worth buying gigabit anything. I was more looking at from a computer, which is presumably plugged into the router -> switch. I never said anything about internet.
In this unusual scenario - Cable->Router->PC and switch the transfers will be limited by weakest link - aka 100mb router.

What you'd want is to use in the regular way : Cable/DSL Modem -> Router -> Switch -> PC and rest of stuff

G

Grador

In this unusual scenario - Cable->Router->PC and switch the transfers will be limited by weakest link - aka 100mb router.

What you'd want is to use in the regular way : Cable/DSL Modem -> Router -> Switch -> PC and rest of stuff
Yes agreed, but the whole exercise of him getting this switch was so that he could wire all the devices in his livingroom with only one cable running to the router.

It's not an unusual setup, it is THE setup being discussed here.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes agreed, but the whole exercise of him getting this switch was so that he could wire all the devices in his livingroom with only one cable running to the router.

It's not an unusual setup, it is THE setup being discussed here.
The correct way for OP to achieve gig speeds is to get two switches
For extremely cheap price of $17 it's well worth it

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
The correct way for OP to achieve gig speeds is to get two switches
For extremely cheap price of $17 it's well worth it
2 switches for what? His bottleneck is still the ISP.

I guess your assuming the pc is plugged into the router, and not wireless.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
2 switches for what? His bottleneck is still the ISP.
True, but to have gig speed b'ween pc (I assume storing files) and rest of electronics he'll need two of them ...

Ok, this dragged into all sort of confusion and pointless nerd "fights"

OP, You don't need a Gig to stream even 1080p compressed content - 100 mbs is more than sufficient, but copying large file over the network - gig network will offer significant improvements, but not to typical usage as streaming

That said gig speeds are cheap now and there is no reason not to get

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Correct. But at least from the switch to the router it'd be fast haha. :D
Well, probably not. Most cable modems (the router), for example, are fitted with 100 megabit, not gigabit ports, so the switch port with the link to the modem will auto-negotiate to 100Mbps, even though the port may be capable of 1000Mbps. A PC with 1GbE connected to a 1GbE switch will indeed run at one gigabit per second on that link, but the connection to the modem will be a bottleneck. Since the switch will use a store and forward strategy through the speed gearing, no data will be lost, even though you probably don't have flow control engaged. And hopefully any multi-frame messages are sent using TCP, so each connection is acknowledged and flow controlled by TCP up at Layer 4, so you don't permanently lose any of them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis