Funk Audio 8.2P Floorstanding Loudspeaker Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
At $4240 a pair ($3540/pair pre-release price), Funk Audio is looking to provide a sonically impressive offering in the 8.2P speakers. With a combination tweeter/upper midrange planar driver and two 8" mid-bass woofers, the specified 35Hz low point certainly seems credible. Featuring real wood veneers, plywood construction, a high efficiency design, and a quality drivers, Funk Audio wants you to be interested enough to open your wallets for the 8.2P. We can't wait to get our hands on a pair.

Discuss "Funk Audio 8.2P Floorstanding Loudspeaker Preview" here. Read the article.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Looks interesting. Seems (superficially at least) like a blend of the qualities of my two systems: a reasonably efficient Klipsch reference setup in my basement HT and a sweet sounding pair of bookshelf speakers with ribbons in the bedroom.

Funk Audio has also stated that their design goal wasn't a flat frequency response. While they used measurement techniques, the final arbiter was their ears.
I can understand that final voicing by ear might cause some deviation from a razor flat FR, but how far off flat response are we talking?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can understand that final voicing by ear might cause some deviation from a razor flat FR, but how far off flat response are we talking?
Very good question. I don't mind +/-3dB. Heck even my 802D2 measures +/-2.9dB listening window (although off-axis isn't quite as good :D).

But I would worry if it gets beyond +/-3dB.

BTW, is there a bookshelf version of this w/ the same 96dB/2.83V/m sensitivity? :D

Last edited:
mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
I think that there is a bit of miscoception as to the purose of the not flat on axis statement.

Most loudspakers are optimised with a listening position which gives the best reproduction. Nathans speaker is optimised for best reproduction in a normal 60 degree off axis position.

This will not give a ruler flat on axis reponse. But nore am I trying to generate a particular sound that I feel is most pleasing.

The aim in this design is to give a very realistic soundstage, accurate reproduction. This precludes any large scale differences from a flat response. We are shooting for a real world plus or minus 3db off of a straight line.

To put a sharper point on it. I have always found that a slightly falling response from about 3 khz to 20 khz gave the most realistic reproduction. We are following this design approach. So the final response will be judicouslt contoured from dead flat. But cotoured with a fine sharp blade, not a chain saw!

Stay tuned, you guys will be getting a front row seat in very hi-end speaker production!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think that there is a bit of miscoception as to the purose of the not flat on axis statement.

Most loudspakers are optimised with a listening position which gives the best reproduction. Nathans speaker is optimised for best reproduction in a normal 60 degree off axis position.

This will not give a ruler flat on axis reponse. But nore am I trying to generate a particular sound that I feel is most pleasing.

The aim in this design is to give a very realistic soundstage, accurate reproduction. This precludes any large scale differences from a flat response. We are shooting for a real world plus or minus 3db off of a straight line.

To put a sharper point on it. I have always found that a slightly falling response from about 3 khz to 20 khz gave the most realistic reproduction. We are following this design approach. So the final response will be judicouslt contoured from dead flat. But cotoured with a fine sharp blade, not a chain saw!

Stay tuned, you guys will be getting a front row seat in very hi-end speaker production!
The Salon2 measured about +/-2dB in HTM, the KEF 207/2 measured about +/-2dB on SVS, the B&W 802D2 measured +/-2.9dB on HTM, so I don't think anyone is expecting +/-0.5dB from the Funk speakers or any speakers.

But it's great that it will be within the -3dB tapering off. :D

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I am looking forward to this review (if one is in the works).

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
The Salon2 measured about +/-2dB in HTM, the KEF 207/2 measured about +/-2dB on SVS, the B&W 802D2 measured +/-2.9dB on HTM, so I don't think anyone is expecting +/-0.5dB from the Funk speakers or any speakers.

But it's great that it will be within the -3dB tapering off.
We could do that with the powered version in a heartbeat.

Stay tuned!

Mark

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We could do that with the powered version in a heartbeat.

Stay tuned!

Mark
Perhaps I missed it, but what is the goal for Funk speakers?

To produce high efficiency speakers and monitors (96dB/2.83V/m) that is just as great sounding, detailed, and accuarate as the non-efficiency "musical" speakers (90dB/2.83V/m) ?

I supposed I would be more interested in the nonpowered high efficiency monitors since I have no more room for towers. :D

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
Perhaps I missed it, but what is the goal for Funk speakers?

To produce high efficiency speakers and monitors (96dB/2.83V/m) that is just as great sounding, detailed, and accuarate as the non-efficiency "musical" speakers (90dB/2.83V/m) ?

I supposed I would be more interested in the nonpowered high efficiency monitors since I have no more room for towers. :D
Our goal is to produce high efficiency speakers that sound better, more detailed, with greater accuracy. With a level of power handling that when combined with the efficiency and ultra low power compression give them for all practicality unlimited dynamic range, in our experience this is how you make your music "come alive!" Just like our subwoofers.

FYI the 8.1.P is also available for pre release right now, it is the same cabinet shape(width and depth), but is 16" high. It uses one of the 8" drivers same as the 8.2.P, and a smaller planar. Similar overall sound and features just with a little lower sensitivity and power handling. They will need to be used with good subwoofer(s).

All of our speakers will be available with the option of being powered.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Our goal is to produce high efficiency speakers that sound better, more detailed, with greater accuracy. With a level of power handling that when combined with the efficiency and ultra low power compression give them for all practicality unlimited dynamic range, in our experience this is how you make your music "come alive!" Just like our subwoofers.

FYI the 8.1.P is also available for pre release right now, it is the same cabinet shape(width and depth), but is 16" high. It uses one of the 8" drivers same as the 8.2.P, and a smaller planar. Similar overall sound and features just with a little lower sensitivity and power handling. They will need to be used with good subwoofer(s).

All of our speakers will be available with the option of being powered.
Better. More detailed. Greater accuracy. Unlimited dynamics. Wow. Who's drooling? :eek: :D

What's the pre-release price on the 8.1P unpowered (11"W x 12"D x 16"H) ?

What does the vertical off-axis look like ? :D

What is the Sensitivity of the 8.1P in dB/2.83V/m ?

I'm trying to see how in the heck I can put the 8.1P in the same room as my dual F18.0. Screws are turning in my brain. :eek:

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think ADTG has enough speakers to get a Dolby Atmos configuration going. On the ceiling is probably the only placement options left at this point anyway :D

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Might I recommend a room other than the "great wall of speakers" room, perhaps :p.
A great room will make speaker to sound better. I think most people room are adequate unless your room has alot of reflection surface. I use to think i may need acoustic panels, but so far i dont think my room has create any problem that i once thought. Room treatment also is not gonna make the speaker sound bigger or the ability to "disapear" when tour are with constraint such as close proximity to speakers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think ADTG has enough speakers to get a Dolby Atmos configuration going. On the ceiling is probably the only placement options left at this point anyway :D
Kind of off-topic, but I hope that, when and if Atmos hits a consumer level, it will kill off dipole/bipole style speakers finally and completely. Atmos seems ideal for monopole speakers. It looks like it will benefit from a finer surround sound stage. Bipoles, dipoles, and every other surround speaker with an ambiguous sound stage and directivity should have died when discrete surround channel programming became widely available, and, if my understanding of Atmos is correct, they would only be a greater hindrance to that technology. I believe that surround sound stages can be more useful than a vague ambient mush, and maybe, just maybe, it can finally progress with Atmos.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
No the crossovers will be done in the digital domain.

Much greater control of the end result. And a very clean sounding means of reproduction.

Mark

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis