Headphones in the $50 range.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I am looking to replace the Sennheiser headphones that my 3 year old destroyed last week. I'll be getting her her own $20 pair, but these will be for my use only. Not using headphones much, just for plain trips, I don't want to go crazy. $50 looks like it gets me more than I need, but it never hurts to check with all you experts.
The Sennheisers I had sounded very good to me over the years so it may be hard to get me to switch brands without a compelling argument.
The front runners on my list right now are the Sennheiser HD 229 Black/Red Headphones, the Sennheiser PX 200 or the Sennheiser PX 100's. Has anyone tried and compared these? Any other suggestions.
Just looking for something that's comfortable to were for a few hours with good sound. Accurate sound is more important than bass-head sound. I must say that the style of the HD 229's does appeal to me.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
For isolation I'd recommend IEMs. Are you strongly opposed to them?

The sony mdr-v6 are good inexpensive headphones, but I think they're run $70.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
For plane trips, you say?

Normally I like koss Porta-pros or Sennheiser earbuds (CX300's) for portable use but I picked up a pair of these Sony MDRNC7 noise cancelling headphones and for the price they are hard to beat.

The key here is you said for use on a plane. While passive 'phones sound better in everyday use, the noise cancelling feature is really, really easy to get used to on a plane. Seriously, they are even useful without music playing just for the reduced noise floor.

Now, I'm wondering what a "real" set of noise cancelling headphones can do but since we only fly maybe three-four times a year, I'd really have to justify that outlay to my cheap self.

Oh, they also come in white.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan

I don't know much about headphones other than how much I liked the sound of the ones I had. IEM's?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Normally I like koss Porta-pros or Sennheiser earbuds (CX300's) for portable use but I picked up a pair of these Sony MDRNC7 noise cancelling headphones and for the price they are hard to beat.

The key here is you said for use on a plane. While passive 'phones sound better in everyday use, the noise cancelling feature is really, really easy to get used to on a plane. Seriously, they are even useful without music playing just for the reduced noise floor.

Now, I'm wondering what a "real" set of noise cancelling headphones can do but since we only fly maybe three-four times a year, I'd really have to justify that outlay to my cheap self.

Oh, they also come in white.
Thanks Mark. I saw you had suggested the Koss PortaPro Headphones in another thread. You like the Sony's on the plane better huh?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Like in real estate, it's all location, location, location.

Thanks Mark. I saw you had suggested the Koss PortaPro Headphones in another thread. You like the Sony's on the plane better huh?
Keep in mind that I only became aware if the Sony's within the past few months when they were on sale at the local Electronics Expo and we were going ona trip within a week or so, I decided to give 'em a try. Before that, the Porta-Pros and Senn CX300 earbuds were my portable tranducers of choice.

In an airplane environment, with the constant low-frequency background noise, the Sony's shine. In an quiet environment, when the noise of the plane isn't an issue, I prefer the Porta-Pros or Senns.

FWIW, I got the black ones. I let Rita try 'em on the plane and now she has a white pair of her own.

Last edited:
H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic

I wanted to like in-ears, but I haven't found any to be comfortable to me. Few of my past roommates use them though

The MDR-V6's were $50 on monday.. I picked em up for $60 a few months back. Love them to death :D hope you find suitable replacements.. I narrowed it down to 3 pairs when I was looking and ordered them all off amazon to audition. Returned the two I didn't like and I was only out ~$10 worth of return shipping. small price to pay to know for sure you got the right ones

V

vipergg

Audiophyte
phones

I would try Koss prodj100's . these are full size headphones and for the price they sound phenomenol. Amazon currently has them for $54. They are built very sturdy and have a lifetime warranty on breakage for any reason, send them in with $9 and they will replace them no questions asked. I have them and swear by them . I run them on a full size stereo so if you are looking for some ipod phones then I can't really say how they would sound.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
IEMs are interesting as a device. Since all ears are different, some people can wear them naturally. Others are constantly uncomfortable with them. The key is to get a good range of tips if you try to go for IEMs.

Also, wearing them once in my opinion isn't enough to truly know if you can live with them. Give them a shot for longer. If they just don't get comfortable after some days of use no matter what tips you use, they're just not the right ones for you.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I am looking to replace the Sennheiser headphones that my 3 year old destroyed last week. I'll be getting her her own $20 pair, but these will be for my use only. Not using headphones much, just for plain trips, I don't want to go crazy. $50 looks like it gets me more than I need, but it never hurts to check with all you experts.
The Sennheisers I had sounded very good to me over the years so it may be hard to get me to switch brands without a compelling argument.
The front runners on my list right now are the Sennheiser HD 229 Black/Red Headphones, the Sennheiser PX 200 or the Sennheiser PX 100's. Has anyone tried and compared these? Any other suggestions.
Just looking for something that's comfortable to were for a few hours with good sound. Accurate sound is more important than bass-head sound. I must say that the style of the HD 229's does appeal to me.
The 229s are $26 shipped today at WWStereo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis