harman/kardon AVR 700 & AVR 1700 A/V Receiver Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
harman/kardon has just released two new A/V receivers, the AVR 700 & AVR 1700. These two new entry level models in the harman/kardon receiver line up, despite the apparent sequential numbering scheme, focuses on function sets. The AVR 700 clearly seems rooted in a more traditional A/V setting while the AVR 1700 seams geared towards accommodating evolving entertainment options, both with limited overlap to allow for the most functionality while still meeting budget price points. Check out our preview of these new A/V receivers to see which one may be right for your needs.

Discuss "harman/kardon AVR 700 & AVR 1700 A/V Receiver Preview" here. Read the article.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
HK is a dying receiver brand IMO. I have always loved their receivers, but since the engineering shakeup and death of Mr. Harman, it has been all down hill.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
They haven't kept up with the current generation receivers. Seems to me they lost their way around the time when HDMI and HD Audio started to take off. Use to be great receivers built like a tank and had everything you could ask for, now its just budget stuff that doesn't even get a second look.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
They even abandoned the one thing that kept them strong for years, a robust amp section. Shame really...

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
death of Mr. Harman, it has been all down hill.
I fear for Harman international. Sidney Harman was said to be an exceptional person (I've read some very good things about him, as well) and I was very upset to hear of his death. He died right before I got into the audio hobby, which is very unfortunate for me as he was one of the audio professionals I greatly look up to. I would have loved to sit down and talk to him!! Anyway, I have heard from an inside source that Harman isn't quite the same place it used to be before Sidney died (read "sold the company"). Certainly not as enjoyable to work for. Between what I hear from the inside, and this dishonest crap (like most other companies :(), I'm very upset. I'm fairly certain my favorite audio company -- one of the few companies to make R&D and honesty their top priority (not in the case of the OPPO Lexicon thing :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:), is very quickly going downhill.

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
He was an exceptional person. He really cared for his employees and didn't tolerate any of them being treated unfairly.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
harman/kardon has just released two new A/V receivers, the AVR 700 & AVR 1700. These two new entry level models in the harman/kardon receiver line up, despite the apparent sequential numbering scheme, focuses on function sets. The AVR 700 clearly seems rooted in a more traditional A/V setting while the AVR 1700 seams geared towards accommodating evolving entertainment options, both with limited overlap to allow for the most functionality while still meeting budget price points. Check out our preview of these new A/V receivers to see which one may be right for your needs.

Discuss "harman/kardon AVR 700 & AVR 1700 A/V Receiver Preview" here. Read the article.
Niether is right for my needs. I used to own HK stuff, but that's over...

connieflyer

connieflyer

Audioholic
Sad what happened to a great company concept. I have an older avr 501 and a 2100 that still work great. The 2100 is built like a tank and about as heavy. Neither one has given me a moments problem.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
As an avid H/K owner and fan this looks to be the begginig of the end!

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
H/K had some issues with their first gen of avrs with HDMI and they never seemed to catch up after that. They weren't competitive with the likes of Denon and Onkyo in the features war. Yet they didn't court the 'hi-end' as successfully as the likes of NAD and Rotel.

I'm a fan of H/K but have to admit I'd look elsewhere now for an avr.

K

kevo1011

Audiophyte
Please Help...

I just purchased this reciever in an attempt to update my electronics.

I am running the AVR1700 to a Toshiba 62hm95 DLP TV. I have all my other devices running hdmi cables to the receiver and then hdmi to my tv. All of the audio is coming from the receiver speakers. The tv speakers are not working. I new to this, but I googled and I believe the AVR1700 has ARC (audio return channel) so should my tv speakers be working, if I'm understandng correctly.

If I connect a device straight to the TV the audio is fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited:
K

kevo1011

Audiophyte
I found it under system setup. Turn on hdmi audio to tv. Thank you.

M

mychaelp

Enthusiast
This receiver is an awesome choice for beginners. Since when can someone just beginning to set up their Home Theater get something from this company? With great networking features as well. I own the comparable Onkyo and now wish this one had come out sooner. The good looks would have gone great with my equipment rack. The comparison here AV Receiver Guide - Home Theater shows it competes well. Noise is a bit higher though they show there, but not much really for the average person... like me. Hearing it in a listening demo room I could not hear the noise, s maybe their measurements are more accurate than the others? Not certain there. Maybe I'll sell my Onkyo on craigslist and go for this one.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
This receiver is an awesome choice for beginners. Since when can someone just beginning to set up their Home Theater get something from this company? With great networking features as well. I own the comparable Onkyo and now wish this one had come out sooner. The good looks would have gone great with my equipment rack. The comparison here AV Receiver Guide - Home Theater shows it competes well. Noise is a bit higher though they show there, but not much really for the average person... like me. Hearing it in a listening demo room I could not hear the noise, s maybe their measurements are more accurate than the others? Not certain there. Maybe I'll sell my Onkyo on craigslist and go for this one.
The H/K sound is still unique amongst the mainstream receivers. You should try it.

N

Novem

Audiophyte
Harmon kardon avr700

I went to Fry's and listened to denon, Sony, Yamaha (which I have), and the HK700. All these new AVR's now say they have 125-185wpc..which is complete bull! The 700 has a low wpc rating, but the sound is so warm if you listened to them and didn't know which one was playing..you could pick out the 700 from the others, and would also ask where the tubes are hidden!
If you have the means to check one out, I would if music is what you want to hear, and not just over rated wpc.

N.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis