What type of glue to use on magnets?

S

Seize

Audioholic Intern
Okay, so tweeter magnet came off my MB Quart 280 monitors. It's one of those double-stacked magnet assemblies just wondering what type of glue to use to re-attach it?

Oh and yeah, what would be the best way to align the magnet? Seems kind of tricky since it wants to shift to one side or another.

Here's what the normal tweeter looks like

Here's what the busted one looks like

Picture of the actual speaker

Any feedback/input you guys can give me would me very much appreciated :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Jb Weld {repaired one with it a while back, kind of different than yours but it worked}

S

Seize

Audioholic Intern
Thanks!

Looks like I'll be headin' to my local car parts store tommorrow to pick some up.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Not to step on Irv's toes but I think I might try a little super glue for the initial aligned bond and then I'd fill that gap between the two magnets with an epoxy called PC-7.

S

Seize

Audioholic Intern
Not to step on Irv's toes but I think I might try a little super glue for the initial aligned bond and then I'd fill that gap between the two magnets with an epoxy called PC-7.
Hmmm...that sounds like a good idea as well. I have super glue and I looked up that epoxy PC-7 and it looks to be relatively inexpensive.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have used PC7, {not on magnets, but was at walgreens and picked some up for fan repair at a customers house, and it doesnt like heat, it lasted about a week, before I had to go back, I have never had jbweld come loose} and they have jbweld kwik, high heat ect, plus once you break the seal on that pc7 it doesnt last long for a second use, jb weld can sit on your toolbox for a decade and still be good.... For most things I use CA, but it doesnt like vibration or heat, so I dont think that will be a good match, but the pc7 will probably work as good as anything else...

JB weld is just one of my go to items, they sell it for under water, wood, fireproof ect, its a good product most people have in their garage already... and like I said you can keep it for years vs most of the newer fancy epoxies come in them ez mix plastic containers that mix tip design and you use them once and toss'em... JB still comes in stick or them aluminum paste packets...

Also from years of useing it, I can control the mix, so if I want it to dry faster or harder ect, I can add more hardener or less...
Plus it is delicious on toast...

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have used PC7, {not on magnets, but was at walgreens and picked some up for fan repair at a customers house, and it doesnt like heat ...
I used it on a plastic radiator in a Volkswagen Dasher in Texas ... it absolutely loves heat. The product comes in little film tubes so I don't know how many uses you plan to get out of it but it's not expensive and you can get it at Home Depot.

I have more posts so I'm right and you're wrong. :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I used it on a plastic radiator in a Volkswagen Dasher in Texas ... it absolutely loves heat. The product comes in little film tubes so I don't know how many uses you plan to get out of it but it's not expensive and you can get it at Home Depot.

I have more posts so I'm right and you're wrong. :D
LOL, maybe Im not thinking of the rite stuff, it mixes itself and is like a syringe, correct? and fyi, radiators aren't hot, they are for cooling :D LOL

I think either way it should work, not really going to get super hot or have a large load on it... bubble gun would prolly work a while..

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
x3 for JB Weld. I use that stuff on everything and it definitely w/stands heat.

T

tjohnusa

Enthusiast
The magnet that fell off is the shielding magnet. If you aren't using this speaker next to a crt monitor you don't have to reattatch it and you won't have any change in sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis