Moved Again, new HT Deco style

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I have not been on this forum in a while. I have two kids now, and that may be why...

Anyway. We moved into a bigger appartment with a nicer living room, which is now taken up by my HT setup... again. IT's still cheap, but I like it.

Here's what I have:
-Custom made HTPC/ 16gigs ram/ AMD RADEON HD 6870/ 3 hdds w/2tb total storage
-PS3 for Bluray/gaming
-2 Acoustic Research rear sattelites
-An AR 10" 200w subwoofer -down-firing
-Denon AVR 588 Receiver
-Wal Mart entertainment cube with custom DIY glass door and additions.
-Custom home-made center channel made from the guts of a Sony SS-CN5000
-2 Sony SSF-5000's floor standers. Cause I'm still cheap.
-Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 projector
-Elite Screens 120" projector screen

And some deco items, because it is a new hobby of mine.

Projector:

Custom blu-ray rack I built into a 1947 Firestone radio I found at a garage sale for $20. Gutted and repurposed.

It's made of mahogany panels and held in the back of the trim on the radio with screws. At any time the radio can be put back together. I also stripped and refinished the whole cabinet.

Movie inspired decorations

And then I found some chrome striping and fake knobs at Autozone. Would look stupid on a car, but does great for 1940's radio dress-up.

Picture of me, in front of said bluray holder.

I also recently got into restoring and repainting 1930s-50's bakelite tube radios. Would post if anyone was interested.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I really dig that Blu Ray rack! Looks awesome, well done. I wish I was as handy as some of the people around here :)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Nice theater! I love the design of art deco period, Bioshock was (is) a dream come true.

Rocketeer costume is awesome!

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Nice theater! I love the design of art deco period, Bioshock was (is) a dream come true.

Rocketeer costume is awesome!
I loved the architecture in bioshock. Part of it was inspiration for the center media rack.

And thanks. 100% home-made.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Pretty cool your HT room and the vintage ideas, so may we call it...
... The Firestone Radio Rack HTR from now on??;)

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Pretty cool your HT room and the vintage ideas, so may we call it...
... The Firestone Radio Rack HTR from now on??;)
I kind of like it, so yeah - of course. I was actually thinking of getting a small blu-ray decal to go next to the firestone logo as well...

Man that is just amazing! Even the helmet!?
Even the helmet... Fiberglass, bondo, welding shield, plywood, plastic putty, paint, car trim, rivets. And a custom plush fabric liner...

It was actually the first part I made. IT was originally going to be a HT decor piece, and it still will be, but then I got addicted. Now when the rainy season stops I will be making the rocket pack.

Last edited:
avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Awesome job man!

How about the reels, did you made'em as well? If so, would you mind posting a step-by-step procedure, as I'm willing to do some myself? :)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Even the helmet... Fiberglass, bondo, welding shield, plywood, plastic putty, paint, car trim, rivets. And a custom plush fabric liner...
That is amazing! The welded fin and beat up brass look has been pulled off perfectly.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Awesome job man!

How about the reels, did you made'em as well? If so, would you mind posting a step-by-step procedure, as I'm willing to do some myself? :)
Unfortunately, I did not make those. They were on Ebay for a group of 4 randomly chosen 16mm reels. They were $5.00 plus $5.00 shipping. I used one of them that looked like an audio reel as part of a weird sculpture I made below my clock. I repainted them in the same colors and then used a screw with a large washer through the center to secure it to the wall. It's so much cheaper to buy a real set of reels than a metal reel decoration. This way it is also real. I can hook you up with the seller ID of the guy that sold em, he is constantly offloading random film reels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-3-16-mm-metal-film-reels-art-decor-vintage-/160928117145?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2578103199

That set will be $15.00 total. No one ever bids on them. Just spray paint them all silver or gray. Or leave the blue and green one, could be interesting. My set has one green and two grays.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis