ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
So...I have always bragged that I have never had to purchase my own cell and never had a cell phone bill as I have always used company phones for my personal use.

Now, I want a personal phone since I don't like the fact that "the man" can see everything I do.

Carolyn and most of my friend's have iphones and we had iphones at my last company. I seemed to like it just fine so I thought that I would go with that. However; one of my friends switched from an iphone to a "Windows phone" and he says he likes it much better.

What would you get and why?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have not tried one of the new windows phones but have used several "droid" phones.

Are you not looking at android phones? The Galaxy 3s is very nice. I have an LG Spectrum which I have been quite happy with for the last several months.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have not tried one of the new windows phones but have used several "droid" phones.

Are you not looking at android phones? The Galaxy 3s is very nice. I have an LG Spectrum which I have been quite happy with for the last several months.
I was just researching the Galaxy S III and it seems cool. I just now started searching but figured it would be easier for you guys to just tell me what to get.:D

The fear I have about an iphone is the glass. I throw my phone in my Camelback when I MTB and in my Jersey pocket when I road bike. Are the Droids tougher?

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was just researching the Galaxy S III and it seems cool. I just now started searching but figured it would be easier for you guys to just tell me what to get.:D

The fear I have about an iphone is the glass. I throw my phone in my Camelback when I MTB and in my Jersey pocket when I road bike. Are the Droids tougher?
There are plenty of cases that will protect your phone, but you have to keep in mind that there are probably significantly more choices for an iPhone. It has the highest amount of sales for a single device, so there's a huge market for it.

I have the iPhone 5, and previously used the iPhone 4, Blackberry Curve, Palm Pre, and a Moto Q. Of all of them, I have definitely enjoyed the iPhone 5 the most. I actually preferred WebOS of the Palm Pre, but the hardware was awful and there were no apps developed for it. Some mock the closed integration of the iPhone, but to me it's the best selling point. My roommates who all use droids are extremely frustrated with the different things that all of the cell providers and phone manufacturers put on android.

If I were to pick a phone other than an iPhone, I would look at the new Windows phones. I'm not sure I would buy one at this point in time though, because I was an early adopter of the Palm Pre and I know how that turned out :(.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't trade my Galaxy SIII for anything. It is an excellent device with an awesome screen, awesome camera, and awesome software. If you like to personalize your device and like larger screens then Android is the way to go.

Windows Phone is very nice but still doesn't have the ecosystem of iPhone or Android.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
My wife has a razr maxx (android) and you couldn't get her to trade it for any other phone. I have a POS LG Ally...

Hey, jump in your car and sprint on over to tarpon springs...:D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd suggest you get the iPhone 5. My wife was like you swearing off the smartphone age. Two weeks ago she finally got an iPhone 4s. She's hooked. It replaces a camera, video conferencing setup, mp3 player, portable gaming device, books, laptop and gps.

Your entire family has iPhones so having one will make your life simpler when interfacing with them for facetime.

Do not buy a lower level iPhone ever they give their phones about a 2 year window before updates will brick them. Which is how often you will be upgrading.

Androids are for customizing nerds like myself, but are not a good entry phone for smart phone users IMO. Windows phones are nice, but seriously get an IPhone 5 they just came out.

Our local AT&T stores have very good service and make sure you get a case of some kind. I'm sure with your sales skills you can get a deal.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd suggest you get the iPhone 5. My wife was like you swearing off the smartphone age. Two weeks ago she finally got an iPhone 4s. She's hooked. It replaces a camera, video conferencing setup, mp3 player, portable gaming device, books, laptop and gps.

Your entire family has iPhones so having one will make your life simpler when interfacing with them for facetime.

Do not buy a lower level iPhone ever they give their phones about a 2 year window before updates will brick them. Which is how often you will be upgrading.

Androids are for customizing nerds like myself, but are not a good entry phone for smart phone users IMO. Windows phones are nice, but seriously get an IPhone 5 they just came out.

Our local AT&T stores have very good service and make sure you get a case of some kind. I'm sure with your sales skills you can get a deal.
iDevices are indeed more easy to use and typically more reliable. Some of apps show up first on iDevices way before android or don't show up on droid at all (like cable tv apps)

That all said, you will have to pry my SGII out of my dead cold hands :)
I love it. It lighter and tougher than any iphone. It has great camera, replaceble battery, expandable storage, mhl (aka HDMI out with adapter) and Navigation which actually works right :)
P.s: And I hate iTunes with prejudice.

If you decide to go with Droid phone - your best bet would be to get a Nexus device. These get most of love from Google as far as updates go. Rumor has very soon there few new Nexus devices announced.

itschris

itschris

I just went through all this not too long ago. Here's my thought... do you have an iPad? Do you plan on getting one? If so, don't get an iPhone. I've had both and for what you use a smartphone for, I think Android phones are superior. If you don't download a ton of apps (that let's admit, are 99% meaningless for anything important anyway) an Android phone like the EVO or Galaxy does everything better.. IMHO.

If you don't have an iPad and have no plans on getting one, it's a toss up. The things that I did with my iPhone, I know just do on my iPad and really wouldn't do on my iPhone anymore. I have an iPhone for work and it's just email and phone calls and txts. I have an EVO for persona use and it does everything I use the smartphone capabilities for like GPS far better. Searching for a restaurant in whatever city I'm in, via the built in Google Places functionality then having driving, walking, or public transportation options literally an icon click away and reviews, is gold. You can do it with an iPhone, but not nearly as well.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I do have a work iPad right now but rumor has it, that they are going away.

The main thing I look for in a phone is the ability to call or text someone.

I think I agree with the Tiger, iPhone may just be more simple since that's what my family and friend have.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
My wife has a razr maxx (android) and you couldn't get her to trade it for any other phone. I have a POS LG Ally...

Hey, jump in your car and sprint on over to tarpon springs...:D
Why do I need to go to Tarpon Springs? I mean, I will but I kind of want to know why. I even put a new battery in my car yesterday.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Why do I need to go to Tarpon Springs? I mean, I will but I kind of want to know why. I even put a new battery in my car yesterday.
AH GTG silly. We're all gone now. I think we were gone when we we're there.:confused::eek::D

R

rki

Audiophyte
I have been using the iPhone since the first gen was released. A year ago out of the blue I switched to a Blackberry Bold and I cannot get used to it all. It is not a bad phone, but maybe I'm just too used the iPhone's useability.

So I'm pretty sure I'd be sticking with the iPhone for a long time.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
We have all three in my family (not in my house though)...

Everone likes their phone for similar reasons and it seems like they all work well enough. I've refused to upgrade to the new iOS on my phone though since I love the Google maps far more than turn-by-turn directions.

But, turn-by-turn directions was, by far, the best feature of my Android when I had one, even though it was a terrible phone. Rule learned: Don't get a cheap Android phone, get a REALLY good one.

Now, my office has gone to iPhones and I personally use an iPhone, and it just works. People in our office don't complain about them that I know of, and everyone seems to find something new and useful to use it for on a regular basis.

Still, my Dad likes his Windows phone and his network allowed him to turn on local hotspot, so if you are without internet, you can turn that on and get your PC online for needed AH time.

The Android phone I had allowed for tethering, but it still may all be network dependent. My brother just got the Galaxy III, and he's really happy with it. I'm not in love with the larger screen size personally. But, the blessing and curse of Android is the open nature. So, make sure you are buying a quality phone, on a quality carrier, with a quality network. Not one of those things seem to matter with iPhone.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
So I never purchased a phone. My little dog had a $300 vet bill and then something went out on my AC which cost $1400. I decided I will just keep using the free company phone for now.

V

VenomXt

Audiophyte
Wife and I use Samsung Galaxy II's which are cheaper than the new III's now. No issues but i came from a iphone had to get used to the bigger profile.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
If you're interested in the iphone and you spend the vast majority of your time in a city or other populated area where cell phone coverage isn't an issue, then Virgin Mobile and the iphone is by far your cheapest option.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
FWIW, you could probably pick up a pretty good phone on Black Friday/Cyber Monday if you sign your life away for two years, without having to spend any money aside from the plan itself obviously.
Not having to pay for a phone is nice anyway...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So I never purchased a phone. My little dog had a $300 vet bill and then something went out on my AC which cost $1400. I decided I will just keep using the free company phone for now.
Watch amazon black Friday I bet an s3 is on there for a dollar.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis