Searching for the best sound system for my room, need help.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Hello.
I want to invest a few bucks into some really good sound system for my computer, in my room.
I listen to a lot of music and I am wondering what would suit me the best.
I dont even know if I should go for 2.1 or 5.1.
Forget movies and games, focus on music quality only.
So first of all, 2.1 or 5.1?
And then, what would be the best sound system I can buy to give me the a really deep music listening quality?
Im thinking of spending around 300 bucks or less if possible, of course.

PS. I have read a lot about the z5500, I dont know much about music hardware but I a friend of mine got those and honestly, those are disco speakers, for comercial music, I am tired of hearing of them on forums so, avoid them. The sound is awful for quality music listening, the mids are just ridiculous in my opinion.

Thank you in advance,
regards.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
So first of all, 2.1 or 5.1?
2.1/2.0

Are these going on a desk or floorstanding? :D

I have read a lot about the z5500, I dont know much about music hardware but a friend of mine got those and honestly, those are disco speakers, for comercial music, I am tired of hearing of them on forums so, avoid them. The sound is awful for quality music listening, the mids are just ridiculous in my opinion.
This??

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
They can either go floor or desk, whatever is the best for the system I get.
Yeah, those. Dont get me wrong though, z5500 might be amazing for electronic and rock stuff. But thats not what I am looking for, mostly. They basically have no mids and the bass is overpowered. This aint the discussion though, forget it.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
They can either go floor or desk, whatever is the best for the system I get.
These

Do you have something to power the speakers?

Yeah, those.
Someone recommended that to you??! What forum were they on? :eek: :eek: :confused:

Dont get me wrong though, z5500 might be amazing for electronic and rock stuff.
You were 100% correct when you said those were not good. They will not be good for any type of music or even close to fairly accurate reproduction.

Last edited:
G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Glad to know people here understand music quality.
Trust me, LOTS of people believe the z5500 is GOD. Just because it breaks windows and stuff.

No, I dont have anything to power the speakers, so I need that too.
I will check those, thank you.

edit. Is it $129.99 a pair or just one? Talking about the ones you linked.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Glad to know people here understand music quality.
Trust me, LOTS of people believe the z5500 is GOD. Just because it breaks windows and stuff.

No, I dont have anything to power the speakers, so I need that too.
I will check those, thank you.
Does your PC have HDMI? :)

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Yes, my laptop does have HMDI.
So, basically I wont need a subwoofer with that pair of speakers?
Also, what is the receiver used for exactly? I dont know anything about receivers but it looks kinda expensive so Im wondering.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Yes, my laptop does have HMDI.
So, basically I wont need a subwoofer with that pair of speakers?
Also, what is the receiver used for exactly? I dont know anything about receivers but it looks kinda expensive so Im wondering.
A receiver is used as a processor and amplifier.

A much better suggestion for you since this is completely a computer setup, would be these

They're kinda expensive, but you don't need an amp or anything. Completely plug-and-play, and they are very good.

You'll need those and one of these

You don't need a subwoofer for every speaker. :)

They're powered so you'd need an outlet near the speakers.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Well, you can still connect the receiver to the computer through HDMI, right?
I just remembered I got this Sony-CDP-XB-720 amp? I cant link stuff with so few posts
Those 200 bucks speakers are some kind of expensive and I honestly liked the Pionner ones.

Are those much better than the pioneer ones or not THAT much better?

Could I connect my Sony amp,converter?? to the computer and connect the pioneer ones to it?

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Well, you can still connect the receiver to the computer through HDMI, right?
Yes. You can connect the receiver to the PC through HDMI.

I just remembered I got this Sony-CDP-XB-720 amp?
That looks like just a CD player.

Are those much better than the pioneer ones or not THAT much better?
The pioneers should be more than fine. The others are just easier to setup.

Could I connect my Sony amp,converter?? to the computer and connect the pioneer ones to it?
I don't think so. I'll have to look up the Sony. Your best bet is with a receiver, because if you ever want to upgrade your TV speakers, you have a receiver and you can add surround sound.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Ok, considering I get that pair of pioneers, is that receiver really that needed or can I find some other receiver a bit more cheap?
Ignore the TV speakers, I wont be using them in the next 15 years.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Random observations.

Your Sony CD player will need to be connected directly to whatever amp/receiver you wind up with.

Likewise, you need to decide if you want two channels or leave room for expansion into a 5.1 system in the future. In either case, you can add a sub-woofer if you want.

If you decide to go with two channels, there are quite decent receivers out there starting at around $100, NIB with a manufacturer warranty. The Sherwood RX-4105 is a proven performer. Being two channels, you would need to use an analog connection between the sources and the receiver but that's not a big deal.

Those Pioneer speakers are quite good. If you choose, last year's version of that speaker is available for a bit less. See them here. So, with those speakers and that stereo receiver, you come in > $200.

In either case, they are both 4" speakers with all that entails. They are very clean, clear, musical, and require a bit of power (which the Sherwood can supply) but you'll probably want to add a subwoofer fairly soon.

For about $200, this sub-woofer will fit in nicely.

Of course, you're committed to two channels. Going to a 5.1 receiver will simply cost a bit more up front and everything I recommended here is still valid.

Accessoris4less is the place to buy refurbs (I buy them there) but for new stuff, Amazon doesn't suck.

P.S. Now would be a good time to join Amazon Prime so you don't have to pay shipping charges and you can stream free movies over the Internet as a bonus.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Thank you as well for the detailed info, I am checking it out.
What is the difference between bs22 and bs21, it is fairly cheaper so I wonder.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you as well for the detailed info, I am checking it out.
What is the difference between bs22 and bs21, it is fairly cheaper so I wonder.
Basically, it's last years model and I think there's some cosmetidc differences. I heard that one and was extremely impressed.

The new version "claims" to play 10 hz lower* and is 1 db more efficient but, in the overall scheme of things, these are not really any big deal.

In either case, don't expect any "real" bass or clean loudness from any small speakers.

* without any frame of reference, such as + or - how many decibeles lower than the midrange this is, it's a useless spec. Now, had it said -3 db, we would have something but it could be -10 or more. Without that variance, it makes no sense.

Last edited:
G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
I guess I will go with the SP BS21 then and the Denon AVR 591 5.1.
accesories4less.com doesnt ship to Portugal, which is a shame, so I cant buy them from there.

Now, there is something I still need help with, the connections. I know next to nothing about it and I feel like I would mess up that part.

So, my computer has HDMI.
Considering I would buy what I have listed above, what cables would I need to connect the speakers to the receiver, and the receiver to the computer?

Sorry for my noobish questions, you two have helped me a lot though.

Edit. I just realized amazon doesnt ship this stuff to Portugal either.
You guys have any ideas?

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I guess I will go with the SP BS21 then and the Denon AVR 591 5.1.
That would have been a great choice.

Now, there is something I still need help with, the connections. I know next to nothing about it and I feel like I would mess up that part.
We can easily help you with that. There are a few ways you can setup the system, but I'll explain that in a minute. Let me find you a store that ships to Portugal.

Sorry for my noobish questions, you two have helped me a lot though.
You gotta start somewhere! :)

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
@ Granteed EV, the second link is broken.

@monkish 54, amazon ships lots of stuff to Portugal but not those two.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis