Headphone Recommendations

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I lost my loves, the Etymotic ER6i. I need to find a new set. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Sound quality is top priority. I'm not a major bass head, I'm most concerned about smooth mids and crystal clear highs.
2. Sound isolation. I use them mainly on my motorcycle, so they need to do a stellar job of blocking outside sound.
3. Price. Not looking to go over $100. Would rather stay in the $50 range unless they are exceptional. Will most likely not go over $100 no matter what.
4. I'd prefer something made in the USA, just to support domestic companies. I know that's a stretch. I refuse to buy Sony. Won't happen, don't bother suggesting.

So far I've read about some Klipsch, the newer Etymotic models, Ultimate Sounds... just not sure and not many places to see good models in person.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
E

endless ent

Enthusiast
low price noise-blocking headphone

Due to your low price concerns selection is highly limited but your in luck. I saw, just last week, a unit rated for the construction industry (you know for a jack hammer opperator) . The specs are commensurate with the price and available for a limited time in Home Depot just for Christmas. They are in the (seasonal) gift giving suggestions area. Long / easy return policy, so give them a try and your passenger can get a gift for your price too.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
X10 sometimes even on better sale down to $95 (expired now, but Imo worth to wait if you are not in rush)
Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphones for $95 + free shipping - 1007328
Believe it or not they were $350.00 when they first came out.:eek: Be careful if you buy these on ebay. These are the Sony tips that go great with them:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351527222&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+tips

Nemo128

Nemo128

The Klipsch X10 seem interesting every time I read about them, but are they that much better than Etymotic mc5... I did find that my Etymotics triple flange wasn't very comfortable, but they did seal very well.

I don't mind spending $100, I don't think my options are limited at al at $100. They're for flights and motorcycle rides, so they don't need to be audiophile class $350 pieces. But comfort for 2-4 hours worth of listening, defly important.

I keep hearing that ditching the included tips and buying others would increase comfort. Or getting a custom tip. Thoughts?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The Klipsch X10 seem interesting every time I read about them, but are they that much better than Etymotic mc5... I did find that my Etymotics triple flange wasn't very comfortable, but they did seal very well.

I don't mind spending $100, I don't think my options are limited at al at $100. They're for flights and motorcycle rides, so they don't need to be audiophile class $350 pieces. But comfort for 2-4 hours worth of listening, defly important.

I keep hearing that ditching the included tips and buying others would increase comfort. Or getting a custom tip. Thoughts?
These are the tips already included with A161P:

I would get them myself for $70-80 is I was looking for headphones

Nemo128

Nemo128

Those look sweet. Might have to try them, they seem like the best bet for now.

EDIT: Hold the fone, I don't want an inline mic. They're never going to be used with my phone.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
These are the tips already included with A161P:

I would get them myself for $70-80 is I was looking for headphones
I had the 151(Sold them), which were not to my liking. Maybe these are better and improved. You can't go wrong with Mee. The M6 were my first pair and I was blown away by how great they sound for such a small price tag. The included tips included are great with Mee(They don't cheap out they even give you a nice case). For the price I'd try both M6 and 161. I'd also save up for the X10(with Sony Tips A+ like night and day I tell ya:)). Christmas time they go on sale at least last year on amazon they were. Please don't get anything too Isolated when riding your bike. Good luck in the storm guys. I'm in NYC too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nemo128

Nemo128

Ya know I'm gonna keep ignoring your Sony tip suggestion. =P

I don't like paying for features I won't use so the headset ones are out. I'm surprised the 151s aren't good... that's discouraging.

Hearing on a motorcycle is overrated. Sight is a thousand times more critical than sound. A highly attentive rider with bad hearing can manage just fine.

The price of the X10s is fine. With Comply tips or something. Cuz I'm not buying Sony. =P

Also considering their sport fit ones (the Mee).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
A 151 and 161 comparison from another forum:
The treble of the A161P was another very pleasant surprise, finally we have some nice sparkle. The A151 with it's overly smooth highs to my ears was it's achilles heel and I couldn't help but feel part of the music was going MIA when fast aggressive rock or metal was being listened to. Sparkle on the A161P is very well done and I'm loving every second of it. On certain songs I'm noticing a little haze as in slight smearing between the upper and mid treble resulting in what sounds like a little splashiness up top but overall I'm quite happy with the highs on the A161P. The upper mid to lower treble transition has some nice energy behind it and I'm finding sibilance isn't to bad and generally well controlled while using the provided dual flange tips.
Looks like a keeper. :D

Keep in mind that the 151 and 161 are Armature earphones, as well as the Magic L50 which I preferred more. I always preferred dual flange tips as well on Mee phones. What do you have against sony tips(check ebay they have bootlegs of them too and work just as good)? :D

Last edited:
D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
The ADDIEM is IMO the standout value in headphones. Since I got mine my Ety ER-4's have only gotten dusty.

Obviously, there are people incapable of judging something on its merits, who will just say "Apple and pretty - must be overpiced" but in fact I don't even know of any other dual balanced-armature IEM for $80.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I find it hard to believe something could best the ER 4p's. The only flaw in their measured F-R is the mode cause by your ear which can actually be corrected for. That said I'd not use a pair for bike riding I'd suggest something cheaper like the route you are going. I just want to point out that there are different types of ear plugs for the ER headphones. You can even get an impression if you wanted. I love them for ear plugs and headphones. The biggest drawback is the need to change out the filters. Klipsch is supposed to be pretty solid.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
I find it hard to believe something could best the ER 4p's. The only flaw in their measured F-R is the mode cause by your ear which can actually be corrected for.
Then listen to them. I have both. The Ety's are the lesser IEM. I initially only bought them because I got tired of changing filters and the ADDIEM's have cleanable metal filters. But the ADDIEM's are simply better. (I use Comply foamies on both.)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I have to throw in my Denon DN-HP1000 recommendation.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
I have to throw in my Denon DN-HP1000 recommendation.
Much as I love the sound of my Denon AH-D2000's (and am annoyed by their shoddy build quality), and can imagine that the cheaper Foster/Denon headphones might sound substantially similar, it would be hard to fit full sized cans model under a motorcycle helmet.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
1. Sound quality is top priority. I'm not a major bass head, I'm most concerned about smooth mids and crystal clear highs.
2. Sound isolation. I use them mainly on my motorcycle, so they need to do a stellar job of blocking outside sound.
How loud is it on your motorcycle? How good were the Etys at isolation with the sound on the motorcycle? Just my 2 cents but I'd be more concerned about causing hearing loss than sound quality. YMMV. I got these for my daughter as the volume is limited to prevent hearing damage - Etymotic Research, Inc. - ETY-Kids™ Safe-Listening Earphones for Kids

IEM's with custom fit ear tips have been coming down in price, but I don't think they're down to your price range. Perhaps though for your application it would be worth it. Definitely experiment with different ear tips to get the best isolation. Etymotic and others make custom fit ear tips for iems if you have trouble getting a good fit.

I believe Grado's full size headphones are made in the USA, but I'm not so sure about their IEMs.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Those look sweet. Might have to try them, they seem like the best bet for now.

EDIT: Hold the fone, I don't want an inline mic. They're never going to be used with my phone.
Understand they will not ever be used on your phone but what will you be listening on your motorcycle. The inline phone controls work with Ipods as well for Play, Stop, Skip. Works with IPOD Touch, Nano, and Classic as well. It is very nice.

I have had many of the the MEElec (lower end) products. M6's (lost them), M9P's, M16P's, and now have another pair of M6P's.

All are great performing.

The button quit working on the M16P's I had and they sent me a replacement. Didn't even have to send my old ones back (had me send them a pic of the wire cut rather than ship them). Their customer service was great.

They will be getting my business again someday.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis