Thoughts on an impulse buy - NXG NX-Prosub8

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I don't usually take the time to write up my thoughts on a new speaker or sub that enters my house... especially not when it's a cheap one that most people have never heard of...But that is exactly the reason I'm doing it this time - because most people have never heard of it.

I was browsing Amazon the other day, looking for a tiny little sub that I could use to add some low end to a small pair of DIY speakers I intend to build and try out either in my office or bedroom. I was checking pricing on the usual suspects from brands that make tiny subs - Energy/Klipsch/Velodyne/Chrysalis, ect. - when I stumbled on a tiny sub I'd never seen... the NXG NX-Prosub8, for $100 with free shipping.
Amazon.com: NXG Technology NX-PROSUB8 8" 150-watt Powered Compact Subwoofer - Black Gloss: Electronics

I did some searching online, and aside from the single review at Amazon, couldn't find any info on the sub other than the very limited specs at NXG's website.
NXG Subwoofers

An Ultra Compact 8" Subwoofer with 150 watts of power.
  • 150 watts maximum power handling
  • 8" front-firing injection-molded metallic anodized
  • Auto signal-sensing turn-on and stand-by modes
  • Variable crossover and volume level controls
  • 0º/180º phase reverse switch
  • Non-filtered LFE RCA input and speaker level binding post inputs
  • 4 ohms impedance
  • High-gloss black finish
  • Frequency response: 35-180Hz; 90dB sensitivity
  • 10" W x 10 1/2" H x 11 3/4" D; weight: 25 lbs.

I also found out that Home Depot was selling it for the same price as Amazon, which meant I could try it and if I didn't like it just take it back to the store without losing money shipping it back... so I ordered one. By the time I ordered it, the 12 that were in stock at Amazon were gone... and as of today, Home Depot is out of stock, so someone is buying these things. HiFiforLess still has them in stock for the same price:
http://www.hififorless.com/showProduct.php?productid=595359

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Well, I had typed up a LONG post with my thoughts on build quality, and first impression on sound quality... and my computer decided to just shut off....:mad:

So, I'll have to follow up later... and I'll include some pics I took of the sub and it's parts (since curiosity led me to take it apart).

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I'm looking for a small sub for my office and the price looks decent. I might get one.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
It looks like a good sub that's well built. However the Martin Logan Dynamo 300 for 129.00 from Amazon would be my first choice in this category.

D

daleB

Audiophyte
Hi alphaiii, was wondering what you thought of the nx-prosub8? I need a small sub and would like to hear your thoughts on this sub, thanks.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I saw that MCM Electronics has this on sale for $70 + shipping, so I thought I'd revisit this thread. Sorry DaleB, I missed your question awhile back.

My thoughts are - it's a good deal for around $85 after shipping... It's tiny, well built, and looks nice. Soundwise - it's clear there is little true bass going on... and I'd suspect this peaks in the upper bass and rolls off from there (no measurements to back this up - just how it sounds to me). So no, this is not Velodyne Minivee like in performance... but, as long as you can set a xover to filter out the upper bass, the sub sounds pretty good for music. I do think it's critical to get the xover low enough to get rid of some of the upper bass, otherwise I think it can sound undefined/maybe a little boomy.

I returned the one I had, but did snap some pics of the insides... I'll see if I can find them to show what your $85ish would buy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis