If 2 subs are good, and 4 even better, what do you call 9?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I call it my living room! This is what it looks like in my house right now:

About a year ago I said to myself "ya know, I want to see what it's like to evaluate subwoofers". Seemed harmless enough at the time, but I should have known better; between my inherent tenacity, and being type A to begin with, this is how it turned out. That's not all of them either; I have three others boxed up waiting for call tags so I can send them back. For those counting that's an even dozen subwoofers, and that doesn't include the ones I've already reviewed and sent back. Well, sort of; three of them in the picture I have reviewed, two of which I now own. I also own a third sub, which is among them as well, but I'm not telling which it is. Yup, it's a tough job, but someone has to do it. :p

And before anyone asks... no, my living room is not where I store them. I have a spare bedroom that I use as a staging area, but it was too small for me to line up that many subwoofers and get a picture - I just couldn't back up far enough.

So how about a little contest? Think you know your subwoofers? Can you guess what they are? See if you can at least get all the manufacturers, or if you're feeling brave go for the model too. Betcha no one gets every one of them... ;)

Front Row (left to right)
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:

Back Row (left to right)
1:
2:
3:
4:

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Front Row
2. Rumba 12
4.XTZ

Back Row
1.Crystal Acoustics
3. SpeakerCraft
4. PSA XS15

Kind of interested in that large ported #5

Last edited:
T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
If 2 subs are good, and 4 even better, what do you call 9?

A nice start on the way to 16. :D :p

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
What is the purpose besides satisfying a desire?
Did you do any measurements?
Did you hook up 4 at once, or more, how did it sound?;):D
How many will you keep?
Will we be reading your reviews anytime soon?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Front Row
2. Rumba 12
4.XTZ

Back Row
1.Crystal Acoustics
3. SpeakerCraft
4. PSA XS15

Kind of interested in that large ported #5
Three right out of those five guesses. You've done the best thus far.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
What is the purpose besides satisfying a desire?
Did you do any measurements?
Did you hook up 4 at once, or more, how did it sound?;):D
How many will you keep?
Will we be reading your reviews anytime soon?
Let's see if I can get all of these in the correct order...

* no purpose, other then to do a review on each of them
* I will, once it's their turn to be reviewed
* nah, that would be way too hard to calibrate, since they're so vastly different
* none, except for the ones I already own - they belong to the respective manufacturers, so I have to send them back :(
* yup, I'll be posting them over the next few months - it takes a while to review that many subwoofer :)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Holy crap, you got my ace in the hole! :eek: I didn't figured anybody was going to get that one. Very astute observation.
John Sollecito has been a personal friend of mine for way over 20 years., BTW how is that sub? I've been using his speakers from the JSE Infinite Slope days. John and I go way back. I am running a full 7.4 Source Technologies System. These speakers can take some major abuse and don't blow. The system can idle at around 120 db, what a rush. Powered by Cinepro of course.

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
John Sollecito has been a personal friend of mine for way over 20 years., BTW how is that sub? I've been using his speaker from the JSE Infinite Slope days. John and I go way back. I am running a full 7.4 Source Technologies System. These speakers can take some major abuse and don't blow. The system can idle at around 120 db, what a rush. Powered by Cinepro of course.
No fair, you're a ringer! :p

I just got the sub on Friday, so no impressions just yet. I have 3 others that I received before this one. Once those are done I'll be able to look at the HVS 10.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
No fair, you're a ringer! :p

I just got the sub on Friday, so no impressions just yet. I have 3 others that I received before this one. Once those are done I'll be able to look at the HVS 10.
Make sure you let me know what you think about that sub, that might be my next move. Besides, for me the price is always right, personal discount and life time warranty.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Make sure you let me know what you think about that sub, that might be my next move. Besides, for me the price is always right, personal discount and life time warranty.
Will do. Although, looking at the photo's of your system it appears you already have some rather impressive subwoofers. Would the HVS actually be an upgrade for you?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Is front #2 REL?

Post the current list of correct guesses so we know which ones are left.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Will do. Although, looking at the photo's of your system it appears you already have some rather impressive subwoofers. Would the HVS actually be an upgrade for you?
Most likely not. The small 12" with the passive radiator (1000 watt amp) is kind of hard to beat.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Post the current list of correct guesses so we know which ones are left.
Here's where you guys stand thus far...

Front Row (left to right)
1:
2: Simply Sound Audio Rumba 12
3:
4:
5: Source Loudspeaker HVS 10

Back Row (left to right)
1:
2:
3: SpeakerCraft V12
4: PowerSound Audio XS15

gtpsuper24 nailed 3 of them, and walter duque recognized one of the really obscure subs.

I'll give you a hint on Front Row #1, since it's somewhat difficult to make out because of the picture angles; the companies claim is that it's "fast".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis