tekton - the next big thing?

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
keep an eye on these guys, some serious buzz starting. appears to be a big cut above the other mini-priced speakers out there. and the best part - high efficiency.

tekton-designcontent2011

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
I looked into those back in the fall when I was looking for new speakers. Only issue is no center channels offered and each model seems like it doesn't fit with the others.

If they would have had matching product lines I would have tried them out. Matching bookshelfs, towers, centers, surrounds.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Look similar to zu design. I think these speaker have different philosophy then speakers like salk, ascend where they usually try to get flat frequecy while these may play play as full as the driver can be. just a thought.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
They've been around for awhile...I think I first heard about them several years ago on OCN, which is a computer forum :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know about that "mini-priced" stuff*, but they look like a great thing for the flea powered set.

*w emust not run in the same economic circles.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
ugh.. impulse response are probably a disaster

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
:DI did enjoy reading the descriptions of the products however.:D

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
I looked into those back in the fall when I was looking for new speakers. Only issue is no center channels offered and each model seems like it doesn't fit with the others.

If they would have had matching product lines I would have tried them out. Matching bookshelfs, towers, centers, surrounds.
they've been through a bunch of changes through the years, they used to be single driver wideband only pretty much. they aren't a HT speaker company remember. however, i just emailed them about this and they said a new monitor and matching center will be up on the website soon.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
I don't know about that "mini-priced" stuff*, but they look like a great thing for the flea powered set.

*w emust not run in the same economic circles.
i guess not? you don't consider a $650 floor stander mini priced? :eek:

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can recommend him (Eric, Tekton) for anyone who wants custom cabs at very reasonable prices. His speaker designs are not my cup of tea, but his cab work is top-notch.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
I don't think they look too bad. Unlike some I'll reserve judgement till I can hear a set. Could be really great sounding or good be horrible, never know until you listen.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
wow, haven't read a rave like that in a long long time. certainly peaks your curiosity. lotta buzz building about these speakers, funny after years of not a peep about them.

Matt34

Matt34

wow, haven't read a rave like that in a long long time. certainly peaks your curiosity. lotta buzz building about these speakers, funny after years of not a peep about them.
Couple tidbits of info I found on the webs:

- The founder of Tekton used to be a lead speaker designer for Aperion.

- The guy that did the review I posted above gave up his B&W 800 for the Pendragon's as his reference speakers.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
keep an eye on these guys, some serious buzz starting. appears to be a big cut above the other mini-priced speakers out there. and the best part - high efficiency.

tekton-designcontent2011
Most "high end home audio" speakers are pretty crappy sounding, so these might have a chance even though their design is so flawed.

The reason is simply that while they may not be very accurate in terms of frequency response or power response, they do something similarly priced speakers don't - big dynamics from the midbass up.

Think "snobified Cerwin Vega" and you've basically got Tekton.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't call them high end there top model is only around $2499 which isn't cheap but I would not consider it high end.

Have you had a chance to listen to any Tekton models?

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i personally haven't heard ANY of the tekton speakers. just interesting the sudden amount of press coming out about them, and all of it raves it seems. and sorry gtp but i have to disagree with you about high price = high end (if thats what you were implying), but if you glance at that article above the reviewer was comparing the pendragons to the top wilsons (i'm also not a huge fan of wilsons either :D ). i also have to kind of disagree with what ds-21 wrote - after going to RMAF and hearing all the high-end speakers, i wouldn't describe the majority as being "crappy" sounding. what i WOULD say is that 99% of them didn't sound any better than my salks, so i would say that they are not nearly worth the price being charged for them. i do agree that i think the dynamics may be playing in to it some. the only big bux speaker that i have ever been blown away with is the big focals and the reason why is they have huge dynamics which makes them seem more "exciting" then comparable speakers. of course the flip side of this is some people hate the focals and find them "colored" which may be a fair criticism.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis