Finally coming together

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I started more or less from scratch about a year ago. Went through a few low level speaker swaps and having been swapping equipment in and out since then as my space changed and therefore ability to fit equipment changed.

Now it looks like I'm going to be staying put for at least a few years so I decided to spring for a halfway decent set of towers ;) and a few other bits and pieces.

This is what I've got so far and below are some build pics of the newest addition which should be ready for insertion in another week or so. My GF's Dad helped out a lot and this is at his house (the construction shots, not where I'm living that is). It sure is nice that he has so many tools, and has a professional carpenter living next door to make some nice straight long rips.

After that I plan to build two subs so I'll have three, but deciding which driver to use is still stumping me. More pictures when that finally comes together probably this winter or next spring.

Getting some trim on and no finish

With a layer of stain on

A layer of stain and two coats of teak oil

Closeup of one of the adjustable shelves

Closeup of the top

A front shot

Where it will be going and some of the equipment that will be going on it.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Wow! What an upgrade - now the furniture matches the hardware :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Haha, thanks, yea the rest of the room actually doesn't look that bad (well to me anyways), but that plastic rack has been a real eyesore for me. Especially next to the speakers and electronics.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Nice! Can't wait too see everything in place. My rack is similar but not as nice and big, but fits my 37" perfectly.:cool:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, I last time I measured the stand it was without the trim on, but with the trim it should be about 73" inches long. So it's pretty big, I forget how tall, over 30" I believe. There'll be enough room for everything and then some.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Haha, thanks, while not my idea, they've grown on me.

Then theres also the the decorative doggy plate and the grinch :)

Got the fans in for the stand, three will be going on the back, one for each column and the other two will be spares/possibly component fans

unfortunately the fan controller with temp monitor was defective so that has to go back and get replaced. :(

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Can the leds in those fans be disabled? That would be nice. About the doggy plate - I couldn't tell what it was and thought it was a picture of a T-Rex :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
They could be, but I wanted the LED's, otherwise I would have gotten the antec big boy fans instead.

I like the LED's, especially since I read an article about ambient lighting and watching movies. Something about if there's soft ambient lighting around or near the TV it allows the eyes to more easily adjust to big changes in screen brightness during movies.

Watching movies has never bothered me before, but I like blue and since I've one of those awhile ago as a component cooler I like how it looks and it doesn't interfere with movie watching.

Now that I look at it again, it does look like a T-rex :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Look what I found on the side of the road this morning :D

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hmm. It doesn't match the other speakers or your new credenza.;)

More details please.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hmm. It doesn't match the other speakers or your new credenza.;)

More details please.
Salk songcenter, used. Approx 1 year old, curly cherry with the LCY ribbon tweeter. Got it for about $350 off retail, plus I met the guy to pick it up so no shipping worries.

Is this is the new phila center prototype?
As you can see above, no. Unfortunately in order to make a phil center and make it worthwhile, Dennis would have to charge Salk prices, so it was easier to just hand over production to Salk. You can still get the Dennis Murphy designed Phil center, you'd just have to talk to Salk and buy it from him.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
On axis of the salk

30/15/45 of the Phils

And at the listening position, Phils only

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well the final buffing is going to happen tomorrow, then Monday the stand will be transported to my apartment and I'll get everything set up. If all goes well, will post pics monday night of the setup.

After another couple coats of oil the grain really pops and the finish is feeling smooth as silk :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis