Onkyo announces new AVRs TX-NR717 and 818

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Finally - They're out. Onkyo (USA) just released the following on their replacement X1X series for the 709 and 809 AVRs. See press announcement here.

The biggest news 9for me) is that the 818 will have Audyssey MultEQ XT32. A big step up for those wanting finer calibration of their subwoofer(s).

The fiull list of features and specifications along with pictures can be seen here.

Enjoy!

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I hope it's just a mistake in the press release/product features... But 2EQ on a $1000 avr (NR717) would be an absolute joke.

No mention of Dolby Volume either... Wonder if Onkyo dropped it.

F

fokakis1

Audioholic Intern
Everything I've read suggests 2EQ on the 717. If that's the case I'm no longer interested.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I hope it's just a mistake in the press release/product features... But 2EQ on a $1000 avr (NR717) would be an absolute joke.

No mention of Dolby Volume either... Wonder if Onkyo dropped it.
I have to wonder if that 2EQ is correct since they are bringing MultiEQ XT32 down to the 818. Perhaps it was marketing department brain fade. But after this stupid naming convention change anything is possible. I know I'd skip the 717 if it's limited to 2EQ.

Onkyo TX-NR717 - 7.2-Ch THX Certified Network A/V Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

Onkyo TX-NR818 - 7.2-Ch THX Certified Network A/V Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

Last edited:
T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
It's intersting because the 818 has the "logo" of Audyssey 2EQ up above, but XT32 in the feature list. If it does have XT32, that's a big plus for the 818. I am surprised there's such a gap in room correction between two similar models - would have thought they would have given the 717 MultEQ at least, and preferably XT.

If the 717 does just have 2EQ, I see no reason why people shouldn't just save up enough for the 818.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
If the 717 2eq "feature" is indeed true it appears that the Onkyo Customer Service Mgr. may have moved onto the Marketing Dept. or product devlopment.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Looks like Onkyo has posted some updated and more official-looking Product Sheets in PDF form:

TX-NR717

TX-NR818

These look like very final and sure-stated feature and spec lists, not the preliminary website listings that often seem questionable.

According to these PDFs, the 717 is indeed saddled with a much downgraded Audyssey 2EQ program this year. Very odd considering the 709 had MultEQ XT.

The 818 has me pretty interested though. MultEQ XT32 is the big story, bringing Audyssey's highest level of auto-setup/room correction to the lowest price point yet! The Denon AVR-4311CI and Onkyo TX-NR3009 are still up around $1500, so having an $1100 option in the 818 (a price that's sure to be lower once it actually starts shipping) is pretty exciting!

The 818 is also getting ISF ccc video calibration control with independent settings for each input! That's exciting news as well and a feature I really appreciate.

The 818 also DOES list Dolby Volume along with Audyssey Dynamic Volume/Dynamic EQ and THX Select2 Plus, which I'm assuming includes THX Loudness Plus. The 717 does not appear to have Dolby Volume, but it's got the Audyssey and THX versions.

The 818 also lists DTS Neo:X, Audyssey DSX and Dolby Pro Logic IIz expansion options with assignable 7 channel built-in amplification for either surround back, front height or front wide speakers. The 818 also has 9 channel pre-outs, though I'm not sure whether that means you can run 9 speakers all at once with an additional external stereo amp, or whether it merely lets you hook up 9 speakers and then have the option to switch which ones are playing. What's certain though is that there is no 11 speaker option. So far, the Denon AVR-4311CI remains the only receiver offering 11 speakers playing all at once.

The 717 drops DTS Neo:X, but it's got Audyssey DSX and DPL IIz. It's strictly a 7 speaker receiver though. 7 pre outs only and you can choose whether you want surround back, front high or front wide speakers, but you can only have one of those options in addition to the standard 5 speaker setup.

Both get a front MHL/HDMI input, lots of ethernet-connected internet music streaming options, streaming from a network connected PC, optional Wi-fi with a USB connected separate dongle, and optional remote control with an iPhone or Android App. So it looks like that's where Onkyo is focusing their feature expansion and budget - more network and mobile connections.

So I'm sad to see the 700 series take a step backwards, but I'm pretty excited about the new 800 series in the 818. I've been keeping an eye out for a new receiver. The 818 might just fit my needs at an attractive price point!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis