Pioneer 2012 Line of Receivers Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The new 2012 Pioneer-branded line of receivers should have consumers excited. Bringing fully functional HDMI connection (including 3D, ARC, and Standby Through) plus MCACC room correction to the entry level models is a fantastic draw. While there is a large assumption that most of your devices will have HDMI (and maybe an accurate one for many consumers), there is a lot to like. Starting at $250 and going up to $600, the line has something for everyone. AirPlay, Qdeo 1080p upcoversion, streaming, control apps, native iDevice compatibility, dual subwoofer output...the real question you have to ask is what do you want your receiver to do? Because Pioneer certainly has the model for you.

Discuss "Pioneer 2012 Line of Receivers Preview" here. Read the article.

J

JoeSchmuckatell

Enthusiast
This is a nice review of the items but it certainly didn't feel like the reviewer physically had the receivers in their hands. I would like to know how these perform in the real world. I'm seriously considering purchasing the VSX-1122-K to replace my failing receiver (left rear channel amp died) as I have a need for two optical inputs and the video upscaling doesn't hurt.

So, has anyone actually tested out the VSX-1122-K model?

Thanks,
Joe

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This is a nice review of the items but it certainly didn't feel like the reviewer physically had the receivers in their hands. I would like to know how these perform in the real world. I'm seriously considering purchasing the VSX-1122-K to replace my failing receiver (left rear channel amp died) as I have a need for two optical inputs and the video upscaling doesn't hurt.

So, has anyone actually tested out the VSX-1122-K model?

Thanks,
Joe
This is why it's called a preview and not review. I don't find them terribly useful, but some may do.
One thing is critically missing from all non-elite models are all channel pre-outs, it would be nice to top model 1122-K to have them - Even "honest" 90 Wpc will put significant restrictions on speakers selection.

I don't get - what's the hoopla about the dual sub out? Did I missed something or since when did MCACC started to calibrate for two separate subs?

B

BBF

Enthusiast
What I want to know is if Pioneer has added on-screen overlay of Volume and Input information with the source audio/video in the background yet.
I have a VSX-1120 and it has a "full GUI overlay", but it blanks out the audio and video when it's up, and doesn't show what input is active, it's just for setting up the receiver. The VSX-1121 is similar.

I have my receiver inside a cabinet in the back of the room, so cannot see the LED display on the receiver.

Also, if Audioholics gets a 1022 or 1122 in for review, if the switching time for the QDEO chip has improved. Whenever I switch from 1080i sources to 720p sources or 480i sources from my cable box (I don't want the cable box to do the upscaling, but want the fancy chip in the Pioneer AV Receiver to do it), it takes a few seconds for the receiver to detect the change and display anything but a black screen... it's really kind of annoying.

Maybe it's time to switch to Yamaha, which has had "real" HDMI overlay for several years how... but I wonder how the response time is of the video upscaling between difference source material.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I found one big problem with the new line up. Like almost everyone else, they have dumped recording all loops. Why?

J

JoeSchmuckatell

Enthusiast
I thought these receivers have been on the market for several months and I've read some personal reviews. Some praise, some damn. I'm really interested in the pass through HDMI feature and how it works and if it's restricted to certain devices. One would think a pass through would be something simple but I guess it's not. I thing this receiver is a good fit for me provided I can obtain some solid review from a competent source.

As for 90 watts per channel, I remember back in the early 80's that I bought an Onkyo receiver (2 channels) with 25 watts per channel into 8 ohms. That fed my Cerwin Vega's and I never ever ran it at full power and you could still hear it down the street. Didn't need a sub either since the speakers had 12's in them (powered my that Onkyo). Ah, I was a young Navy kid back then. That Onkyo was heavy, all transformer. Sorry, remembering the great old days.

Cheers

J

JoeSchmuckatell

Enthusiast
Odd, can't edit my previous posting.

Well I'd like to take back my comments about the equipment being on the market. I have seen reviews but I think some folks are placing a review of the VSX-1022 in the VSX-1122 area on some websites. Just crazy.

-Joe

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As for 90 watts per channel, I remember back in the early 80's that I bought an Onkyo receiver (2 channels) with 25 watts per channel into 8 ohms. That fed my Cerwin Vega's and I never ever ran it at full power and you could still hear it down the street.
Cheers
I don't know about the good old days, but nowdays (and probably back then) CV made extremely efficient speakers which don't need big amps...

Now days watts are much cheaper (2400W @ 4 Ohms Bridged for $600 or less) and speaker designer no longer consider speakers efficiency as important as before and I could easily show dozen of speakers with this pioneer would struggle with

D

Dave23

Enthusiast
Ordered a Pioneer VSX-1122-K and it arrived today - dead, as in dead as a doornail. First time I've ever encountered something like this and I need to decide if I want to try again, or just forget it. I wanted to compare it against a new Denon AVR-1913 that I've had for a few weeks and keep the better of the two. The Denon has some HDMI quirks, but is otherwise awesome.

I've always used Pioneer gear in the past, but I really don't like having a new piece of gear DOA. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

Anyone else bought one of the new Pioneer AVR's?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Given your success with Pioneer gear in the past (as well as my own success with them), I'd give it another shot. There's going to be some percentage of gear, albeit small, that won't work or that will fail quickly. I'm assuming that you can return/exchange it - that's what I'd do. If the second one has problems, then it's time to rethink things, IMO.

D

Dave23

Enthusiast
Bought it through Amazon, so no problems with a return/exchange. First time I've had any electronics DOA out of the box. Not a flicker of life to it.

Really want to see what it can do so I'll probably give it another go.

D

Dave23

Enthusiast
Spoke to soon. Amazon will not exchange this item, returns only. No explanation and it seems to be out of stock at Crutchfield, the only other company I buy AV stuff from online.

Guess I 'll forget it and stick with the Denon.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just checked and didn't see any in stock from Amazon - that's probably why.

That's too bad. Sounds like you're happy overall with the Denon, though.

D

Dave23

Enthusiast
Found it in stock at New Egg and it was on sale even. I've only done business with New Egg once in the past so I don't really know anything about them. Decided to roll the dice and ordered a new VSX-1122-K with next day shipping, so hopefully I'll have it by Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Excellent! I thought that I'd seen that on sale recently, but when I looked today, I couldn't find it - I'm glad that you did!

I ordered a bunch of computer gear from Newegg a few years ago. Everything went fine for me. Their packing at times left a lot to be desired, but my last Pioneer could have been shipped in its own box and been just fine - so I think that you're good.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Found it in stock at New Egg and it was on sale even. I've only done business with New Egg once in the past so I don't really know anything about them. Decided to roll the dice and ordered a new VSX-1122-K with next day shipping, so hopefully I'll have it by Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed.
I've used NewEgg several times. Highly recommended

J

JoeSchmuckatell

Enthusiast
Assuming you mail ordered it, try to get free return shipping, have them send you a label for the return, it shouldn't be at your cost for DOA.

I bought the Onkyo NR-515 and am very happy with it. The Pioneer was another one I was looking at but I can't recall why I didn't go for that one but there was some reason in my head at the time.

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Dave,
I've had my VSX-1122 for about a month now and simply love it compared to my older VSX-816.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis