Skyrim: PC version first-glance

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
While not pushing the envelope with an entirely re-written game engine, Skyrim definitely has some improvements over the original release of Skyrim graphics-wise. I'd put overall graphics quality about 15%> Oblivion with high-res texture packs applied.

While somewhat not quite on par with what I was expecting graphics-wise, it is a beautiful world. Spell effects, character models, monster models, etc... are greatly improved.

Skyrim is however every bit as enthralling as I thought it would be. I don't remember the last time I purchased a new game and felt half as immersed as I do in the world of Skyrim.... well maybe Oblivion was close.

I imagine on the PC version vs. the Console version, you definitely have some image quality improvement with anti-aliasing, AF, and some of the new settings I've not seen in a game before (FXAA and Transparent/Adaptive AA) for improving the look of transparent textures. I've never heard of these before. Here is a good article at toms regarding the improvement upon quality vs. the performance hit:
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: PC Performance, Benchmarked : Can Your PC Handle The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

At a glance of my buddies playing on 360 and PS3, the PC version definitely blows console away on draw distance.

It is safe to say that if you loved Oblivion, you will most surely love Skyrim. I've played a caster thus far mostly and have really enjoyed the destruction and conjuration skill perks. I can't wait to play through it with some more focus on a melee type race (class). While I really am enjoying battlefield 3, I don't find myself jonesing to jump on it and go exploring. They are both a couple of the best games ,all things considered, that I have ever played. Each one fills a different need.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I just got the PS3 version via UPS at 3pm my time so I'm really looking forward to pulling an all-nighter.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I'm playing on Xbox. I had to take today off work because I was up until 6:00 this morning. :eek:

Jim

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
There really isn't any substantial differences across the different consoles and PC unless you are trying to run the game on a substandard computer then you will run into into substantial performance and graphical differences. No matter what platform you play on there will be glitches and perhaps a few slowdowns. It's a standard of Elder Scrolls.

I can't see how playing with a keyboard and mouse would be any good for this game either? Fallout: Vegas was unplayable for me with keyboard and mouse.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
What are you guys doing on Skyrim? What are you building?

What I really like about this game are the ‘kill’ animations that get added, like finishing moves, I think it’s a nice touch. It appears weapons done degrade, at least I can’t figure out the system if they’re degrading and need to be fixed like Oblivion did. I like the spellcasting management and combat system, it flows smoother. I like regenerating health over time so I’m not standing there spamming heal.

I’ve been playing the Elder Scrolls games since arena and I always make up a stealth-fighter/assassin sometimes with some spellcasting ability. This time around it’s my Dunmer (dark elf) with lots of sneak, illusion and destruction magic, light armor, one handed weapon. I love walking around with a spell in one hand and a sword in the other. I’m only about lvl9, I don’t get much time but… I’ve been using that Fury spell, I walked into a bandit ambush and was attacked by a bunch of them, I used fury on one of them and he attacked the person closest to him, it’s hilarious.

My main goal is eventually using invisibility, silence and backstab. The sneak upgrades have some nice abilities when I get up there. I wonder though… do I have to take the arrow backstab before I can get access to the dagger backstab? Or can I skip it when I reach the required level in sneak? I think that might be the case, I’ll try it anyway.

Having fun in Skyrim! I'm lovin' this game!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Good game, but a glitchy mess that kills the flow of the game. It doesn't matter what platform you play on either. They all suffer from frame rate issues and crashing in some sort or another. The PC version actually has a game breaking glitch when the game save gets over a certain amount.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I had to start over since the game crashed and took my saves with it, this of course was a test run without the patch. I play as a Redgaurd and choose the following skills to work on Enchanting, Smithing, Block, One-Handed, Archery, Light Armor, and Sneak.

For those of you who are playing on a PS3 and are having performance issues after awhile of gameplay here is a tip.

D

Digital_G0D

Enthusiast
I've been playing this non-stop since it came out. I never played Oblivion, but was a big fan of Morrowind when it debuted on the PS2.

Graphically, Skyrim is amazing. I have a custom-built PC that handles it decently on max settings. I'm just slightly disappointed by the audio. I find the positional audio in this game to be quite bad. Not noticeable unless you are wearing good headphones, but it is something that bugs me.

D

Digital_G0D

Enthusiast
I can't see how playing with a keyboard and mouse would be any good for this game either? Fallout: Vegas was unplayable for me with keyboard and mouse.
How so? The only thing I find somewhat awkward about the key layout is holding ALT to sprint/roll. There is a mod to change keybindings, but I haven't felt the need to do that really. I feel that the improved graphical quality and ability to mod the game makes up for any shortcomings the PC version might have.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
What headphones Digital God and are you also using Dolby Headphone? I haven't used headphones with this game but with home theater the sound quality and soundstage is excellent. Actually I think it is one of the better aspects of this game especially the LFE like after defeating a dragon.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I've pretty much set Modern Warfare 3 aside in favor of this game ... for now.

I've been working my Dunmer assassin/stealth build, it's great fun. I love sneaking up behind someone and getting treated to a cut-away animation when I use the dagger 15X damage sneak power to rip out a victim's throat.

I started off trying to be a good guy, but eventually started murdering more and more. I just did the Dark Brotherhood storyline, I'll see what it has to offer. The storyline with the kid trying to summon them was cool.

OMW to the DB base I got caught up in the vampire-town storyline. It's the one where a guy is accused of burning his house down and killing his family. What a satisfying story after you complete it. It's so cool you can just walk into a town and find yourself in the midst of a story like this. I help liberate that little girl's soul/ghost after avenging her death. I highly recommend taking that detour in that town by the southern pine forest.

What a great game!

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Sorry about the spoiler in that last one... too late to edit now. Not a main story spoiler nor a complete spoiler but I should know better.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry about the spoiler in that last one... too late to edit now.
Can't mods edit posts at any time...or perhaps just some mods can? I know that Dave swapped out some picture links for me months afterwards.

Sorry for the divergence. Btw, you all have me thinking about buying this to play over my holiday vacation. :)

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I probably can... somehow. I'm afraid I'm mod in name only, I've never seen anything abusive or so bad I felt had to report.

I don't see any handy tools and I looked around the CP.

But yeah Adam, if you like adventure games you won't regret spending some time in Skyrim.

G

Garth1

Audiophyte
Got Skyrim on Xbox, great game - I do wish the Dragons were harder to kill and occurred a bit less often, it makes them less epic.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
What's really annoying is I've been saving all the bones and scales from the dragons. It usually means I have to run home and drop them off in my chest. They weigh a lot. I haven't really worked on my smithing skills enough so I'll probably never do anything with them.

You're right, though. They are fairly easy to kill. I have more problems with Draughr Deathlords.

Jim

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Some of the Dragon battles are easy, it gets a little tougher when you take on a Blood Dragon and for a really good battle go to Shearpoint to take on a Dragon and a Dragon priest. I just downloaded patch 1.02 it seems to have addressed the ram issue with the PS3.

(Update)

Here's a list of issues that are addressed with the latest Skyrim patch.

• Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PS3 only)
  • Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
  • Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead
  • Dragon corpses now clean up properly
  • Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
  • Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
  • Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
  • Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
  • Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
  • Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis