Marantz CD6004 CD Player Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
With a similar model number, the CD6004 from Marantz was obviously designed to work with the new PM6004 Integrated Amplifier to provide an affordable but impressive two channel system. All you need to do is provide the speakers. But the CD6004 isn't built with only Marantz's other components in mind, there is a lot more to it than that. With Made for iPod/Works with iPhone certification and front mounted USB port, the CD6004 is more than a simple high-end CD player. For $500, however, you have to ask yourself if the CD6004 does everything you need.

Discuss "Marantz CD6004 CD Player Preview" here. Read the article.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
The ipod/hard disc playback is a nice feature but the inability to play flac is a problem. At that price, Marantz could have added digital inputs which would have made the CD player more useful. Given the competition that CDs face from other sources such as computers, streaming devices, etc., it would make sense even when manufacturing CD players for dedicated 2 channel listening to make them as future proof as possible.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
For $500 you can buy an Oppo bpd 93 which plays cd's, sacd's and any dvd audio disc. If that is all that you knew the Oppo would be a better player for the money already. Oh, but it also is a 3D Blu-Ray player with Netflix, Pandora?, etc. I don't see why anyone would be willing to part with $500 for this cd player.

Even audiophiles tend to steer clear of cd's. They prefer vinyl or sacd or dvd audio. Who is this Marantz player for?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
It's just beyound me how a CD player can be even suggested to be "kind of" future proof, CD players are dead!!

How can anyone consider a CD player or a player that doesn't even support any kind of networking capabilities, Squeezebox or any other kind of network players are lightyears ahead in convenience, and probably also performance.... well, as far as I know they should perform better as you don't have any issues withg mechanical disturbances, as a CD player will have.... at least if you have good subwoofers...

I don't even understand why this is mildly interesting... these things are dinosaurs and a thing of the past

If a CD player can autocatically rip CD's into, say FLAC format, and put them into a library on a hdd inside player or on a server, and then play them back, then we're talking but Marantz people don't even think this far ahead, what are they doing :eek:

V

valkilm

Audiophyte
I'm sorry but you are all wrong, cd's are not dead, they are alive and kicking...

The Marantx cd6004 will out perform any of the mentioned players, maybe connected to a cheap amp and with lack of audio experience like some of you it might sound the same, but connect it to an high end system and you will see the differences...surely none of you guys knows what you're talking about

Last edited by a moderator:
96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I'm sorry but you are all wrong, cd's are not dead, they are alive and kicking...

The Marantx cd6004 will out perform any of the mentioned players, maybe connected to a cheap amp and with lack of audio experience like some of you it might sound the same, but connect it to an high end system and you will see the differences...surely none of you guys knows what you're talking about
For a first post you really jumped in with both feet. But you may have landed on your a$$.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

Well, for my sake I auditioned extremely expensive CD players that's forty times the price of the Marantz and with amps a pricetag of a new car..... did you do something similar?

Still, best bet from my point of view would be a squeezebox or a squeezebox transporter utilizing digital out connected to a well performing dac like the Benchmark DAC1

Have you done proper auditioning in order to make a qualified feedback based on this?
Technically a CD player cannot equal a properly designed player without moving parts........

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

m=1272633962[/IMG]
If you want CD player, rather check this.....

looks quite cool

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I think it is funny that people say that CDs are dead when more albums are sold on CD than via download or any other format.

Online music sales to hit US$6.3bn as physical music declines - New Media - New Media | siliconrepublic.com - Ireland's Technology News Service

U.S. Album Sales Fall 12.8% in 2010, Digital Tracks Eke Out 1% Gain | Billboard.com

Is the death of the CD looming? - CNN.com

And not just in the U.S.; see, for example:

Music sales fall despite digital growth | Media | guardian.co.uk

In the U.K., more than twice as many albums sold via CD than via digital download in the third quarter of this year.

The fact that CD sales are declining and have been for several years does not alter the fact that they are still selling better than albums sold any other way. Eventually, that is expected to change, but it has not happened yet, so it is just silly to say that CDs are dead.

Overall, music sales are down, so one might as well say that music is dead.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
What do you mean by this?
A CD player is quite easily influenced by external physical events as the laser is not as accurate and it is a fact that with external disturbances the CD player may lose bits, it's also why there is an error correction built in with an interpolation algorrithm so that the player may try to correct the lost bits... so it's a fact that the CD player cannot guaranteed obtain the correct bitstream.... bits will get lost as you play the CD.... Iganine the impact on the player if you have some SVS Ultra 13's invoked and you're playing Leftfield loud.... your CD player will be jumping and there's no chance that the player will do this 100% right.

Try just to feel the top of the CD player when you play bass intensive music, it's shocking how much vibrations that gets into the cabinet and the internals....

As opposed to a hard disk, a Hard disk must be 100.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% reliable at all times and they all are, if the hard disk loses one single bit anywhere at any time an operating system may crash leading to havoc for the computer, this means all hard disks are absolutely reliable, another thing is that you can put the server anywhere you want, far from any disturbances....

This single fact alone make the streaming players supreme to a CD player

Not even mentioning that it's supreme from other perspecives too...

CD Players are DEAD, period :p

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I think it is funny that people say that CDs are dead when more albums are sold on CD than via download or any other format.

Online music sales to hit US$6.3bn as physical music declines - New Media - New Media | siliconrepublic.com - Ireland's Technology News Service

U.S. Album Sales Fall 12.8% in 2010, Digital Tracks Eke Out 1% Gain | Billboard.com

Is the death of the CD looming? - CNN.com

And not just in the U.S.; see, for example:

Music sales fall despite digital growth | Media | guardian.co.uk

In the U.K., more than twice as many albums sold via CD than via digital download in the third quarter of this year.

The fact that CD sales are declining and have been for several years does not alter the fact that they are still selling better than albums sold any other way. Eventually, that is expected to change, but it has not happened yet, so it is just silly to say that CDs are dead.

Overall, music sales are down, so one might as well say that music is dead.
CD Players are dead
CD'S are Alive

I buy all my music on CD's and rip them to FLAC to be stored on a server

There is actually a difference between CD players and CD's :p

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
A CD player is quite easily influenced by external physical events as the laser is not as accurate and it is a fact that with external disturbances the CD player may lose bits, it's also why there is an error correction built in with an interpolation algorrithm so that the player may try to correct the lost bits... so it's a fact that the CD player cannot guaranteed obtain the correct bitstream.... bits will get lost as you play the CD.... Iganine the impact on the player if you have some SVS Ultra 13's invoked and you're playing Leftfield loud.... your CD player will be jumping and there's no chance that the player will do this 100% right.

Try just to feel the top of the CD player when you play bass intensive music, it's shocking how much vibrations that gets into the cabinet and the internals....

As opposed to a hard disk, a Hard disk must be 100.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% reliable at all times and they all are, if the hard disk loses one single bit anywhere at any time an operating system may crash leading to havoc for the computer, this means all hard disks are absolutely reliable, another thing is that you can put the server anywhere you want, far from any disturbances....

This single fact alone make the streaming players supreme to a CD player

Not even mentioning that it's supreme from other perspecives too...

CD Players are DEAD, period :p
First of all, the error correction system built into CDs means that when some small portion of the data is lost, it is recoverable from the redundant information; that is the function of error correction:

Cross-interleaved Reed

If the error correction fails, then data is lost. Also, CD players have been made that can be used when jogging and some have been made to use in cars, so the amount of vibration from an SVS subwoofer is not going to be a problem. I know that absolutely because I have two SVS Ultra subwoofers and I never cause any problems with any disc playback (I don't use vinyl). If it were a problem, then BD and DVD playback would also be a problem with such subwoofers, which would make them useless for home theater. Now, if you purposefully bang on the player, you can cause data loss and skipping, but with a properly functioning player located sensibly and without any such tampering, it works very well, regardless of the bass content.

Also, you are wrong about hard drives. They do make mistakes:

Hard-disk failure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But in normal operation within the expected life span of the device, it is typically not a serious problem, just like with CD players.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
CD Players are dead
CD'S are Alive

I buy all my music on CD's and rip them to FLAC to be stored on a server

There is actually a difference between CD players and CD's :p
Technically, anything that can play a CD is a CD player. Thus, for example, a computer with a CD drive that allows it to play CDs is a CD player as well as a computer, and a DVD player that can play CDs is a CD player as well as a DVD player, etc.

However, most people these days do not seem to be running out and buying CD players that only play CDs (which I expect is what you meant), though some must be selling, or it would be unlikely that manufacturers would continue to make them. So they are not dead yet either, just selling far less well than at some time in the past.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Technically, anything that can play a CD is a CD player. Thus, for example, a computer with a CD drive that allows it to play CDs is a CD player as well as a computer, and a DVD player that can play CDs is a CD player as well as a DVD player, etc.

However, most people these days do not seem to be running out and buying CD players that only play CDs (which I expect is what you meant), though some must be selling, or it would be unlikely that manufacturers would continue to make them. So they are not dead yet either, just selling far less well than at some time in the past.
Well, according to this a computer or a DVD player or Blueray player fits this bill

And technically you're right, I think :p

According to my view a CD player is a box that can only play physical CD disks and nothing else... and this is a quite dumb piece of hardware, if it can play something from a nas device or anything hooked up to a network it's not a CD player anymore.....

A network player that contains a CD drive that, say, can rip CD's is quite fine but a pure CD player is not a good choice anymore at all

In my view.... as I stated.... those boxes that can only play CD's are dinosaurs that are not worthy our time and effort anymore.....

If you used software as EAC to rip CD's you're in for a shock to see how many errors are in some CD's and how suboptimal quality is sometimes.... EAC may use up to an hour to correctly rip some CD's and even some it gives up coz they can't be reliably ripped, although this is quite rare......

I could even quite easily hear difference between some CD's ripped with EAC and Winamp on a descent performing sound system, on some tracks there was a very very strange sort of distortion from this music ripped with Winamp... in some cases.... in my simplified world I bet this has something to do with loss of information during the ripping process... or perhaps it's just my imagination :p

Even so my squeezebox using digital out is definitely better than a Denon DCD 2560 cd player playing the same music using digital out, when the music is ripped via EAC to FLAC, and this is NOT my imagination ! Everything else being equal, going to a Benchmark DAC1, Krell KAV 400xi amp and Duntech PCL-15 or Meadowlark Kestrel 2 speakers
Just simply the music is... more like real music via squeezebox, there is more an artifical artifact to the CD player.....

You may agree or disagree, but this is how it works in my system playing for instance Leftfield, Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Green Day and others.....

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was so excited about CD's when they were introduced. I'm still impressed with the technology. And, after 30 plus years since their introduction, I can't say I've heard anything else that sounds better. I've got a BD player, as well as an SACD play; and, a server to play 24/96 downloads; yet, none of these technologies appear to me to be better than CD. I think today a universal player is practical, especially with USB input, Internet/network streaming, and wireless, although a laptop can get the job done, too. Just get a multi channel receiver that will receive the computer signal wirelessly in DTS and Dolby Digital from BD's, and I think you'd be good to go.

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I was so excited about CD's when they were introduced. I'm still impressed with the technology. And, after 30 plus years since their introduction, I can't say I've heard anything else that sounds better. I've got a BD player, as well as an SACD play; and, a server to play 24/96 downloads; yet, none of these technologies appear to me to be better than CD. I think today a universal player is practical, especially with USB input, Internet/network streaming, and wireless, although a laptop can get the job done, too. Just get a multi channel receiver that will receive the computer signal wirelessly in DTS and Dolby Digital from BD's, and I think you'd be good to go.
I agree there is a special excitment with physica media, this is of course much greater when it comes to the process of playing LP's... I still do have a bunchload of them and it's a nice thing top open the cover and read throught the inside of the cover and watch all the nicities that there were room for.... these days are not over as there are still shops selling LP's .... around here.....

Even so, it is and should be room for old technology too..... you make me think now....
I still do have this old CD player, I just don't use it..... because it's too hard to find CD's in a big load of titles.... but I agree.... it's nice to take out a CD put it into the player and wait for the music.....

But still I wouldn't buy a player that can only play CD's......

V

valkilm

Audiophyte
Well, for my sake I auditioned extremely expensive CD players that's forty times the price of the Marantz and with amps a pricetag of a new car..... did you do something similar?

Still, best bet from my point of view would be a squeezebox or a squeezebox transporter utilizing digital out connected to a well performing dac like the Benchmark DAC1

Have you done proper auditioning in order to make a qualified feedback based on this?
Technically a CD player cannot equal a properly designed player without moving parts........
Hello
Yes I have heard lots of high end equipment, so I know what I'm talking about, I can agree with some people that sees no difference on equipment but this might be because they don't have a proper hi fi system that does justice to such equipment?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis