RBH Sound SX-61/R Bookshelf Speakers Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sometimes we get caught up in the specs and features of products - in fact, that's often the most stand-out thing about some of the things we review. When we fired up the RBH Sound SX-61/R Reference Bookshelf speakers, all that went out the proverbial window. For the next two hours we didn't do anything but shuffle in and out various discs and tracks and listen. And I mean "lose ourselves in the moment" listening. The SX-61/R's have that signature RBH Sound midrange that let's you hear things you just don't with most bookshelf systems. The speakers just dissolve into the room and you can detect every nuance in the music. Things like a snare drum played with brushes just become ear candy and kick drums reveal that decisive snap at the top. You can listen for hours and not get tired.

Discuss "RBH Sound SX-61/R Bookshelf Speakers Video Review" here. Read the article.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, no responses?

Ok, I've got a lovely set of WM-30's... would these or even the decimos provide a true night and day difference?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Wow, no responses?

Ok, I've got a lovely set of WM-30's... would these or even the decimos provide a true night and day difference?
While the W30s are a nice on-wall speaker, they aren't even in the league of an MC bookshelf speaker from RBH let alone the SX-R or Decimo products. Yes there is a huge difference in terms of imaging, clarity most notably in the top octaves and depth of soundstage. The WM-30s are competitive to the Axiom on-wall products which I believe I directly compared in my review.

It's not really fair to compare an on-wall speaker to a dedicated bookshelf. Different application and associated trade offs in performance for the on-wall product.

See: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/architectural/emp-ew30

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Gene, I was hoping you'd see this!

The WM's are by far the nicest speakers I've owned and my upgrades have been a steady incline in quality. As I understand it, this would be a giant leap. I lack experience but I do have a nice small space, with a max speaker width being 6 ft, and listening distance of 7 feet. And an appetite (and wallet) to continue my sound education. Not to mention several years of reading this site.

Should I make the switch, I understand in the reviews that the speakers need a fair bit of adjusting to sound their best. The shelf they will sit on will be fabricated by me, and the speakers would flank a plasma screen. The electronics powering the speakers would be bought specifically for the speakers as well.

Any words of caution, recommendation, or suggestion in undertaking this project? And yes I will be happy to publish a full report on the site :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks Gene, I was hoping you'd see this!

The WM's are by far the nicest speakers I've owned and my upgrades have been a steady incline in quality. As I understand it, this would be a giant leap. I lack experience but I do have a nice small space, with a max speaker width being 6 ft, and listening distance of 7 feet. And an appetite (and wallet) to continue my sound education. Not to mention several years of reading this site.

Should I make the switch, I understand in the reviews that the speakers need a fair bit of adjusting to sound their best. The shelf they will sit on will be fabricated by me, and the speakers would flank a plasma screen. The electronics powering the speakers would be bought specifically for the speakers as well.

Any words of caution, recommendation, or suggestion in undertaking this project? And yes I will be happy to publish a full report on the site :)
If you plan on placing the RBH bookshelf speakers on a wall, realize they are rear ported. You will likely want to plug the ports in that case which will limit the bass output a bit as a result. These speakers really would work best on stands but I managed to integrate the Decimo version on a cabinet shelf in my Family Room system. I also run mine crossed over at 80Hz.

You should really consider investing in a sub to mate with them if you go down this route. The RBH SX-12 would go perfectly with these speakers but you also want to consider feeding them some good power. Emotiva makes really good amps for the money. An Emotiva UPA-2 or XPA-2 would be great for them or if you're doing 5.7/7.1, consider an XPA-5 and a good AVR to power the back channels.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
If you plan on placing the RBH bookshelf speakers on a wall, realize they are rear ported. You will likely want to plug the ports in that case which will limit the bass output a bit as a result. These speakers really would work best on stands but I managed to integrate the Decimo version on a cabinet shelf in my Family Room system. I also run mine crossed over at 80Hz.

You should really consider investing in a sub to mate with them if you go down this route. The RBH SX-12 would go perfectly with these speakers but you also want to consider feeding them some good power. Emotiva makes really good amps for the money. An Emotiva UPA-2 or XPA-2 would be great for them or if you're doing 5.7/7.1, consider an XPA-5 and a good AVR to power the back channels.
Already planned on an XPA-2. I think I'll enjoy them in a stereo configuration for a while before adding, and probably nab the XMC when it comes out, hopefully no later than January.

I anticipated using the port plugs. However, if I were to extend the shelf a bit, what is the minimum space needed for the ports to be effective? Do inches matter, or am I SOL because feet are needed? Brick is what the wall is made from, but I can put any material over it as well.

Thank you for your feedback!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Already planned on an XPA-2. I think I'll enjoy them in a stereo configuration for a while before adding, and probably nab the XMC when it comes out, hopefully no later than January.

I anticipated using the port plugs. However, if I were to extend the shelf a bit, what is the minimum space needed for the ports to be effective? Do inches matter, or am I SOL because feet are needed? Brick is what the wall is made from, but I can put any material over it as well.

Thank you for your feedback!
If you allow at least 2-3 inches you should be fine. If the bass is too boomy, just plug em.

P

puckhead

Audioholic Intern
How would these compare to the RBH 61-SE/R and to the Decimos -- what are the main differences between them? How much better are the Decimos?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The Decimo's have a fiber resin cabinet, an upgraded Scan Speak tweeter and crossover.

If you're in the market, RBH's are absolutely top notch. If you're totally obsessed and want a limited run speaker while its still available, grab a set of Decimo's.

Personally, I have backed off as my living situation just is not allowing me to enjoy such excellent speakers at volumes that make them worth the expense. The money has been set aside for full range towers in a few years when I build my house :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
How would these compare to the RBH 61-SE/R and to the Decimos -- what are the main differences between them? How much better are the Decimos?
The Decimo's have a slightly upgraded Xover but all 3 speakers use the same drivers. The Decimo's have the most inert cabinet and smoothest front baffle of the 3. I directly compared the Decimo's to the 61-SE/R as I used to own a set of the latter speakers. They are very close, but the top end of the Decimo's just make you melt. The imaging is slightly better and the bass is a bit snappier on the Decimo's. It's not night / day difference, but the cabinet does make a difference. The new SX-61/R should be very similar in performance to the Signature Reference version.

S

scattershot

Audioholic
In the interest of helping out any potential RBH buyers of these speakers out I wanted to point out some related resources on Audioholics:

RBH Signature Classic Reference Series 61-SE/R [MSRP: $2700 / pair]
Product Website:
RBH 61-SE/R Bookshelf Speaker
Related Review:
Status Acoustics Decimo Review | Audioholics

RBH Signature SX Reference Series SX-61/R: [MSRP: $1900 / pair]
Product Website:
Bookshelf: RBH SX-61/R Bookshelf Speaker
Review:
RBH Sound SX-61/R Bookshelf Speakers Review | Audioholics
Video Review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZUtYMQ29FI&feature=player_embedded
Forum Thread (e.g. this thread!)
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/76648-rbh-sound-sx-61-r-bookshelf-speakers-video-review.html

Puckhead asked in this very thread "How would these compare to the RBH 61-SE/R and to the Decimos -- what are the main differences between them? How much better are the Decimos?"

Gene said:
"The Decimo's have a slightly upgraded Xover but all 3 speakers use the same drivers. The Decimo's have the most inert cabinet and smoothest front baffle of the 3. I directly compared the Decimo's to the 61-SE/R as I used to own a set of the latter speakers. They are very close, but the top end of the Decimo's just make you melt. The imaging is slightly better and the bass is a bit snappier on the Decimo's. It's not night / day difference, but the cabinet does make a difference. The new SX-61/R should be very similar in performance to the Signature Reference version.[61-SE/R]"

Lastly, the new Status Acoustics (premium RBH speakers) that replace the Decimo’s are out.

Status Acoustics Decimos Bookshelf Speakers:

Status Acoustics Decimos Bookshelf Speakers: [MSRP: $12,000 / pair]
Product Website:
Status Acoustics Products--Voce Fina
Review:
Status Acoustics Voce Fina Bookshelf Speaker Review | Audioholics
Video Review:
Status Acoustics Voce Fina Bookshelf Speaker CEDIA 2013 Coverage - YouTube
Forum Thread:
Status Acoustics Voce Fina Bookshelf Speaker Review

(I hope the above info can save Gene and others time from having to answer repeated queries that are similar)

S

scattershot

Audioholic
Just an fyi guys.
Gene from Audioholics mentioned that with respect to the discontinued Status Acoustics Decimo speakers (MSRP: $2900)
"the 61-LSE's had the upgraded Status drivers and crossover components."
(The 61-LSE were only offered for a limited time and are now discontinued).

"Now you have to step up to the new Status Voce Fina Granite speakers to get those crossovers along with the Beryllium Driver:"
Status Acoustics Voce Fina Bookshelf Speaker Review | Audioholics

Lastly Gene added "The SX-61/R and 61-SE/R have the Status drivers but standard RBH crossovers."

Hope this info may prove helpful to some other readers who are looking at purchasing one of the highest-quality RBH bookshelfs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So is Status Acoustics the flagship line of RBH?

IOW, Status Acoustics > RBH Reference > RBH Signature > RBH MC > EMP ?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis