STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, so I dropped my Ipod Classic on the driveway and now it won't function. (it powers up but won't recognize that there is content on it.:( I'm gonna need a new player. (leave it alone Alex!:D) I use it for various things. Yard work / at work plugged in to the computer speakers / drumming along with music / hooked to various systems with 1/8" stereo to RCA's. I've always just loaded full CD's on it (apple lossless). The other tid bit is that my laptop crashed 3-4 weeks ago and I did not have a back-up so what was saved on my laptop in itunes is lost. Yes, I'm an idiot for not having a back up but that is the only thing I would have needed a back-up for... It's all from CD's so nothing is lost but time.:eek:

Do I stay with an Ipod or is there a better choice out there for me?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Do you still have any of your music left in Apple lossless, or would you be starting over?

Btw, Alex's version of a "portable player:"

Maybe that should be playa.

(And, yeah, I avoided a number of other images... :))

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
the music is on the players drive but I cant retrieve it. all of it is gone from the laptop.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Doug, I say give the process at this site a try - it's just a how-to on connecting your iPod to a PC as a mass storage device. Nothing fancy, but it might work. We can get fancier if need be.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, so I dropped my Ipod Classic on the driveway and now it won't function. (it powers up but won't recognize that there is content on it.:( I'm gonna need a new player. (leave it alone Alex!:D) I use it for various things. Yard work / at work plugged in to the computer speakers / drumming along with music / hooked to various systems with 1/8" stereo to RCA's. I've always just loaded full CD's on it (apple lossless). The other tid bit is that my laptop crashed 3-4 weeks ago and I did not have a back-up so what was saved on my laptop in itunes is lost. Yes, I'm an idiot for not having a back up but that is the only thing I would have needed a back-up for... It's all from CD's so nothing is lost but time.:eek:

Do I stay with an Ipod or is there a better choice out there for me?
If I were to be buying a new portable player today I would get the newly released SandDisk Sansa Clip Zip, which is the newest version with a fancier interface of the Sansa Clip+. The link below will explain the product and its features.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/sansa-music-and-video-players/sandisk-sansa-clip-zip-mp3-player

The Sansa portable players especially the Clip versions are engineered very well on the insides. I really like the fact they have a very low output impedance when compared to other players, like the much more expensive iPod Touch below in this comparison.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/sansa-clip-measured.html

The Sansa Clip+ versions have always been well supported by Rockbox, which is a open-source firmware. They have already started with the 3rd party firmware for the Clip Zip, there is one fully supported for the Clip+. The link below will explain all the things it can provide.

http://www.rockbox.org/

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Doug, I say give the process at this site a try - it's just a how-to on connecting your iPod to a PC as a mass storage device. Nothing fancy, but it might work. We can get fancier if need be.
As of right now I can't even get my computer to recognize that it's hooked up to it...

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
If I were to be buying a new portable player today I would get the newly released SandDisk Sansa Clip Zip, which is the newest version with a fancier interface of the Sansa Clip+. The link below will explain the product and its features.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/sansa-music-and-video-players/sandisk-sansa-clip-zip-mp3-player

The Sansa portable players especially the Clip versions are engineered very well on the insides. I really like the fact they have a very low output impedance when compared to other players, like the much more expensive iPod Touch below in this comparison.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/sansa-clip-measured.html

The Sansa Clip+ versions have always been well supported by Rockbox, which is a open-source firmware. They have already started with the 3rd party firmware for the Clip Zip, there is one fully supported for the Clip+. The link below will explain all the things it can provide.

http://www.rockbox.org/
Cool, but I had 48GB on the Ipod...and I wasn't done.:) I should be more selective but I just like having whole albums at my disposal. (yes, I'm old fashioned that way. Maybe I'll steel the wifes Ipod classic and buy her a clip+:D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Cool, but I had 48GB on the Ipod...and I wasn't done.:) I should be more selective but I just like having whole albums at my disposal. (yes, I'm old fashioned that way. Maybe I'll steel the wifes Ipod classic and buy her a clip+:D
They have expandable, external memory via Micro SD slot. The card inserts and sits flush with the player. They are very tiny. So storage and lossless files are a non-issue. Adding more music is just a matter of switching the memory cards. If you take the time to organize the memory cards, it is quite painless and you can carry as much music around with you as you like.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
As of right now I can't even get my computer to recognize that it's hooked up to it...
Have you tried Apple's troubleshooting guide for the Classic? If not, that might help.

Also, there are a few videos on YouTube about taking a Classic apart. Something to consider if/once you've given up on it working. You might have knocked a connector loose or something, which you could fix.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Have you tried Apple's troubleshooting guide for the Classic? If not, that might help.

Also, there are a few videos on YouTube about taking a Classic apart. Something to consider if/once you've given up on it working. You might have knocked a connector loose or something, which you could fix.
I'll probably take it apart but I really don't think it's gonna help. You can hear it spool up and then it just stops.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with the Sansa recommendation, that's what I use with no complaints.
I wouldn't use any player that has a spinning drive like the Ipod, it can't handle the impact when dropped.
The Sansa uses a memory chip and extra cards, as Minus mentioned.
I only put the songs I like on it, since I never like every song on a CD anyway.
Doug, do you really like every song Liza Minnelli has ever done? So why keep every one of her songs on your player? Why do you keep the entire 'Titanic' sound track on there? Just sayin :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You might also consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab 5" 8GB WiFi Google Android Tablet on the daily deal at woot.com for $170 (new, not refurbished). It has 8GB of built-in memory and accepts memory cards up to 32GB. Not quite the amount that you're wanting - but it does so much more than play music.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You might also consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab 5" 8GB WiFi Google Android Tablet on the daily deal at woot.com for $170 (new, not refurbished). It has 8GB of built-in memory and accepts memory cards up to 32GB. Not quite the amount that you're wanting - but it does so much more than play music.
If you didn't get one already, never mind. They are sold out.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Thought about a tablet but I don't want anything quite that size. I'm trying to decide whether I want to carry multiple cards. I liked the 160GB drive on the ipod but it's not as durable...

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Been using a Zune 30G for about 6 years now. Still works flawlessly and I can't measure the use and abuse it has received from plane flights, fm to car stereo on long trips, spent summer days in Arizona and winters nights in Minnesota left on the seat or a cup holder. Great little device. Can also be used a hard drive for files or pic and also has an FM radio and wireless syncing to your pc. It sync's flawlessly with my F350's sync audio system. I even downloaded a movie to it, 300. I filled it with so much music, it doesn't have space for it any more files. Its not the latest and greatest, but reliability wise, it blows Apple away. I lost count of the number of Ipods I bought my kids in the same time frame, one of which melted when it was charging one night.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Been using a Zune 30G for about 6 years now. Still works flawlessly and I can't measure the use and abuse it has received from plane flights, fm to car stereo on long trips, spent summer days in Arizona and winters nights in Minnesota left on the seat or a cup holder. Great little device. Can also be used a hard drive for files or pic and also has an FM radio and wireless syncing to your pc. It sync's flawlessly with my F350's sync audio system. I even downloaded a movie to it, 300. I filled it with so much music, it doesn't have space for it any more files. Its not the latest and greatest, but reliability wise, it blows Apple away. I lost count of the number of Ipods I bought my kids in the same time frame, one of which melted when it was charging one night.
I was under the impression Microsoft has discontinued the Zune portable media players?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I was under the impression Microsoft has discontinued the Zune portable media players?
One can still download the Zune software. We have two and I just fully restored my 'puter and was able to reload the software from their site.

We've never needed more support than that in the three years we've had them.

Would I but another one? No. Not because I don't like it, i do. It's just that at some point they will be forced into obsolence. I'd go for a Sansa product unless I wanted mega storage, and then I'd be forced to go with an apple product simply because they are the de facto industry standard.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, I'm gonna try the Zip Clip. (I've been busy...) What Flac conversion programs are easy to use and do a good job converting?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis