Yamaha receiver problems.. need some HELP??

RTRoberts

RTRoberts

Enthusiast
Hi,

I have a problem and need to ask all the Yamaha folk for some help..

I have a RX-V596 receiver. I bought it new back in 2001 and it has performed flawless until tonight..:(

For some reason it keeps turning off on its own

I checked the power cable and tried in different outlets.. No luck. I thought it might be dirty inside, but it looks as new... it doesn't feel like it is overheating... so I am puzzled :confused:

Any thoughts/help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Ryan

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, Ryan. Have either the receiver or speakers been moved/bumped recently, or any of the connections been changed recently? Have you swapped out any components recently? I'm wondering if perhaps one of the speaker wires is connected to itself at one of the binding posts creating a short circuit. This could happen when strands of the copper wire bridge the gap between the posts and touch the other side. A short like that would cause the receiver to go into protection mode and shut off.

RTRoberts

RTRoberts

Enthusiast
Adam,

I had adjusted the rear speaker connections over the holidays. I took them out of their clips and reconnected..

Of note... after about 5 min I can turn the reciever on and it will stay on - until I turn it off. After that - as soon as I turn it back on, it kicks off/standby again and then it won't stay on for more than a few seconds... :confused:

Right now everything is unplugged and I still have problem.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting.

When you say everything is unplugged, do you also mean that all of the speaker wires are unplugged from the receiver?

If you haven't, double check to make sure that the impedance switch on the back of the receiver is fully set to one side. If that doesn't fix the issue, you may want to try the other setting for the impedance switch to see if that helps. However, I don't think that will be it if you have the speakers unplugged from the receiver and are still having the problem.

EDIT: NOTE - don't switch the impedance setting while the unit is on. It could damage the receiver.

RTRoberts

RTRoberts

Enthusiast
Adam,

Yes, all speaker wires and inputs are currently unplugged and I am still having the issue.

I read about the imp. suggestion in the owners manual under trouble shooting. Did not make a difference...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Adam,

Yes, all speaker wires and inputs are currently unplugged and I am still having the issue.

I read about the imp. suggestion in the owners manual under trouble shooting. Did not make a difference...
It sounds as if the unit is developing a fault in the power supply. I think the unit needs service.

R

rahim_33

Audiophyte
Yamaha HTR 6230 Receiver problems, HELP!!!

I have a receiver that hooks up to my TV through HDMI. My Ps3 is hooked up to my receiver through HDMI and digital optical and it works fine. My cable box Scientific Atlanta 3250 HD is hooked to my receiver through component cable and digital optical, this is where the problem occurs. The audio is coming through but no video. I have backtracked my steps and am really lost. Please help.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

There's a very simple fix for the issue that you are having. Your Yamaha does not convert incoming video signals into other formats - in other words, it won't convert the component video input from the cable box to work with the HDMI connection that you've made between the Yamaha and the TV. If you make a component video connection between the receiver and the TV, that will fix your issue.

Given that you'll need to switch inputs on the TV either way, you might even consider just directly connecting your video signals to your TV if you just have one of each.

D

DBIZ

Audiophyte
I have the same receiver, but a different problem.

I cannot get surround sound to work. I have checked that the speakers are activated in the set menu, everything seems to be good. The receiver sees it is a dolby signal coming in (I have it set to auto), but can only get sound fromthe 2 main speakers.

Even when I put it in test mode, I only hear tones from the 2 main speakers.

I moved about a year ago, but only recenlty hooked up sub, centre and rear speakers. It used to work fine.

Any ideas?

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic

I cannot get surround sound to work. I have checked that the speakers are activated in the set menu, everything seems to be good. The receiver sees it is a dolby signal coming in (I have it set to auto), but can only get sound fromthe 2 main speakers.

I moved about a year ago, but only recenlty hooked up sub, centre and rear speakers. It used to work fine.

Any ideas?
Is the EFFECT button turned OFF?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Any ideas?
Are you sure the unit is not set to two channel By-Pass mode?

D

DBIZ

Audiophyte
Are you sure the unit is not set to two channel By-Pass mode?
It may be. I figured that wa the "Effect Off" mode, which is not turned on. Is there another setting I am missing? If so, I can't seem to find it.

I have unplugged it, and hopefully after a week or so, any settings I may have inadvertanlty changes will reset themselves.

ronb

Audiophyte
Rx-v467

I just bought an RX-v467.
Issues:
1. How do I play my Samsung 550 series TV without switching the receiver on ie get sound? I thought it had “pass thru”. Sound is optical from TV.
2. I bought a YDS12 Ipod Dock and was told its menu could be projected on the TV screen for convenient operation - how?
3. How do I get to simplify remote operation by being able to shut off/on DVD (Samsung c6500) and TV Samsung 550 series using my Yamaha remote?
4. How do I program the Scene CD button to control the input from Audio 2 fed from my older analog CD player?
5. How do I set default sound fields for the DVD, CD and radio when using Scene buttons?

Thanks very much - I'm new to this!

S

stims

Audiophyte
Yamaha RX-V367 - No DTS/DD through HDMI

Have a new Yamaha RX-V367 receiver hooked up to a Sony PS3. I cannot get Dolby Digital Surround or DTS through the HDMI inputs. All I get is a 2-channel PCM signal. Any ideas?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Have a new Yamaha RX-V367 receiver hooked up to a Sony PS3. I cannot get Dolby Digital Surround or DTS through the HDMI inputs. All I get is a 2-channel PCM signal. Any ideas?
You probably need to set your PS3 to output bitstream and your receiver input to auto.

M

md412

Audiophyte
Help!!

Hello All,

New to the site and REALLY in need of some thoughts / advice...

I recently installed the RX-V867. Twice, in the last 2 days, has my audio stopped being output from the receiver. My 5 satellite speakers will not output audio (even when attempting the receivers "Test Tone"). The subwoofer, however, emits a low muted bass sound (that reacts to increases in volume). This audio failure is not permanent. The first time it happened the sound returned after 15 min or so (without any interaction from me). The second time it happened I turned it off and didn't test again until the next morning, at which point everything worked as it should.

Now originally I suspected this to be an issue with my Comcast cable box. However the second failure involved both of my sources (Comcast AND my Blu-Ray player). Both of these sources were not reproducing audio from the satellite speakers (only the muffled sound from the subwoofers).

To explain my setup in greater detail... I am running a Samsung Blu-Ray player and Comcast digital cable THROUGH my receiver (video pass through). Both are connected via HDMI to the receiver, and output via HDMI to my Samsung LCD TV. I have the Klipsch HDT500 series surround speakers (5 satellites + 1 sub) and also an ADDITIONAL Klipsch RW-10d subwoofer connected. My reason for purchasing the RX-V867 was for the dual sub connection.

I successfully configured my system using YPAO. No errors were reported. The setup sounded fantastic.

Again, the issue is a complete loss of sound (from either one of my two sources). The only "noise" being reproduced is a low rumbling from the subwoofers. Is there a configuration setting that I may be missing? Would this be a faulty receiver? When it works, it sounds amazing, and when it fails, why?

Also note that this occurs at ANY VOLUME LEVEL. And also that the receiver itself DOES NOT POWER OFF. The box stays on but does not play sound. It seems as though there is a problem with the internals of the receiver?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Thank You,
MD

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hello All,

New to the site and REALLY in need of some thoughts / advice...

I recently installed the RX-V867. Twice, in the last 2 days, has my audio stopped being output from the receiver. My 5 satellite speakers will not output audio (even when attempting the receivers "Test Tone"). The subwoofer, however, emits a low muted bass sound (that reacts to increases in volume). This audio failure is not permanent. The first time it happened the sound returned after 15 min or so (without any interaction from me). The second time it happened I turned it off and didn't test again until the next morning, at which point everything worked as it should.

Now originally I suspected this to be an issue with my Comcast cable box. However the second failure involved both of my sources (Comcast AND my Blu-Ray player). Both of these sources were not reproducing audio from the satellite speakers (only the muffled sound from the subwoofers).

To explain my setup in greater detail... I am running a Samsung Blu-Ray player and Comcast digital cable THROUGH my receiver (video pass through). Both are connected via HDMI to the receiver, and output via HDMI to my Samsung LCD TV. I have the Klipsch HDT500 series surround speakers (5 satellites + 1 sub) and also an ADDITIONAL Klipsch RW-10d subwoofer connected. My reason for purchasing the RX-V867 was for the dual sub connection.

I successfully configured my system using YPAO. No errors were reported. The setup sounded fantastic.

Again, the issue is a complete loss of sound (from either one of my two sources). The only "noise" being reproduced is a low rumbling from the subwoofers. Is there a configuration setting that I may be missing? Would this be a faulty receiver? When it works, it sounds amazing, and when it fails, why?

Also note that this occurs at ANY VOLUME LEVEL. And also that the receiver itself DOES NOT POWER OFF. The box stays on but does not play sound. It seems as though there is a problem with the internals of the receiver?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Thank You,
MD
Try receiver reset. This is a long shot, but might work.

If reset does not work, this receiver needs replacement/repair.

M

md412

Audiophyte
Receiver reset as in cycling the power (unplug and plug back in)? Or is there another reset I am unaware of?

This thing is only 4 days old haha

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis