Best Blu Ray Player? OPPO BDP-83 vs OPPO BDP-93 3D vs OPPO BDP-95

B

billcrosby

Audiophyte
Trying to decide between these three.

OPPO BDP-83 - $400-$500
Leaning towards this one, not having wifi with all streaming features really isn't a deal breaker to me..

OPPO BDP-93 3D - $500
I'm mostly torn between this one (BDP-93 3D) and the discontinued BDP-83. What is the difference between these two? I will NEVER use the 3D technology offered, is that its main selling point? Is everything else the same between the two? I'd take it if it was all the same because of the added wifi etc, but the 3D thing turns me off if thats its main thing.

OPPO BDP-95 - around $1000????
This is obviously the best choice, but how much? I also don't need an audiophile set up, so seems kind of unnecessary.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The BDP83 isn't even available. That said, I don't know why you would consider spending $500 or $1000 for the other two if you're not an audiophile.

Panasonic makes a very high value model at a small fraction of the price. No SACD, no DVDA, no MKV, no Flac. Pana is all I've used for a dedicated projector theater.

B

billcrosby

Audiophyte
You can still find the BDP83 on eBay brand new..

When I said I don't need an audiophile setup, I meant I didn't need the top of the line setup that the newer 95 is offering. I would use the FLAC and the MKV support on it.

Really what it comes down to is:

Is the new BDP93 3D equally or as good as the BDP83 for Blu Rays, DVDS etc? Like I said, I could care less about 3D and am reluctant to buy a player that offers that!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just get the 93 and don't worry about it. Both are excellent players. They are both top notch players and I'd have to say that most would have a hard time telling the difference between the two in terms of performance.

I don't trust fleaBay....

D

dougy

Audiophyte
I was just going to ask this question but mine was deciding between the BDP-93 vs BDP-95. If the 95 is going to be close to $1,000, I think I'll go for the 93. The 93 looks like a solid player. I looked on Oppo's site and you can get the 93 but not the 95 yet. Is there a difference of buying the player off of Oppo's site or amazon.com?

P.S. Sorry for jacking your thread!

D

DrFunk

Audioholic Intern
Amazon will probably be cheaper and faster. Amazon does have the BDP-83 for new, and they are far more trustworthy than eBay.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I would just get a Sony S370 and save $400. As much as I love Oppo and owned them in the past, going from $150 to $500 players is too much IMO especially when some $500 receivers are now including video chips like the Marvell.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd have to sort of agree with that. I would say if you have a library of DVD-As and SACDs and you are looking for analog audio performance, the Oppos will be worth it for sure. If not, then most players will do the trick for AQ and PQ via HDMI when passed to any decent receiver.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Just wanted to mention that the new Sony BR players have SACD playback, but not DVD-A.

S

serenity737

Audioholic Intern
I went with the Oppo 93 and am overjoyed with the performance. The features which were important for me in the 93 were SACD capability, quality of DVD upconversion, fast blu-ray load times, low noise of the unit (no fan), streaming capability, can play flac files, overall build quality, responsiveness of Oppo support (extraordinary), overall quality of audio processing.

I have had no serious issues with the 93. Only one problem with lip sync on certain DVDs. Customer service responded with an hour with a firmware fix and I have been very pleased - no lip sync issues - since then.

Mike

A

a1uc

Audiophyte
Oppo Upgrade

I have a Opoo 83 and was thinking of upgrading to the 93 model . Im just wondering what I will gain . I know 3d and wireless but is there anything else to make it worth upgrading

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a Opoo 83 and was thinking of upgrading to the 93 model . Im just wondering what I will gain . I know 3d and wireless but is there anything else to make it worth upgrading
Yes, streaming.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis