Cayman Islands Theater Includes Real Balcony

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Electronic House has an article about a pretty cool home theater located in the Cayman Islands. The theater room was built from teh ground up and includes 19 custom-designed theater seats and bar stools in the main seating area and a dozen more in an elegantly styled balcony behind the back row of chairs. Suggested by the homeowners, the balcony was a first for many of the contractors who designed, configured, installed and programmed this one-of-a-kind home cinema. We've seen a lot of rooms, but never one with a real balcony - kudos to the designers and the thought process that went into it. Mobile Technology, an Alpharetta, Ga.–based firm, was hired to program the Crestron system that runs all of the equipment inside the theater and in the main house.

Discuss "Cayman Islands Theater Includes Real Balcony" here. Read the article.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Damn.............got a serious case of Theater Envy now. $250K for the projector is a little silly though. but hey, if you got it flaunt it (or enjoy it)!

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I've been wondering how to cram more seating in my HT, which has a 12 foot high ceiling-this is just the ticket. :D

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
I like it!

It kind of reminds me of the old "real" theaters prior to the advent of the 16 or 24 screen complexes in malls.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Damn.............got a serious case of Theater Envy now. $250K for the projector is a little silly though. but hey, if you got it flaunt it (or enjoy it)!
Don't forget the throw distance and screen size of 210" ;):D You need some serious lumen output and also, it is a 4k projector.

I didn't see a price tag for the finished project. A couple of mills?

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
nice place. but, look at the view from the balcony. looks pretty crappy, from what i can see.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
I live in the Cayman Islands and I know I wont see the inside of this monstrocity. But then again , never thought that a home owner would spend $250K on a projector alone. That is the price of an entire house, and a fairly big house at that.

I would truly like to hear how it sounds though:D but that wont happen:(

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

nice place. but, look at the view from the balcony. looks pretty crappy, from what i can see.
I thought about that too but then you have take into consideration where the picture was taken from and how well you can see once you are seated in the seats close to the rails.

But, the balcony would not be my choice and would ask to come back when the front row center seat is open:D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I bet a lot of money (but not $250,000) that history is repeating itself; that Meridian is simply rebadging a JVC, but with a big fat markup.

This pic here is almost three years old, the JVC (Japan Victor Company):

This is the Meridian. That's just an anamorphic lens in front, for those who are unfamiliar with the FP world. Yes that piece of glass is probably worth thousands of more dollars than the biggest flat panel you own.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Not aware Meridian makes projectors from the ground up. I really smell a lot of upselling without reason there. Especially when I read a BS line like this:

According to video experts, the bigger a screen is, the more likely it is that viewers will notice the pixels in an image.
Anyone who would throw out a line like that without the qualifier: From a specific distance. - Is running the upsell big time.

So they are hooking up with 1080p Blu-ray player to a 4K projector which they are viewing from 1.5x the image width away and basically can't see the pixels on a 1080p projector... But, why not upsell them like crazy.

A projector like this:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Digital_Projection-Titan_1080p_Dual_3D_Ultra_Contrast.htm

Is ideal for that level of room, and isn't even $100K.

I can appreciate nice projectors and phenomenal rooms, but I hate when you get someone's rebadged product at twice the price (most likely), and then don't have any need for that benefit.

On the other hand, the room is pretty killer. I'm not a fan of the light tan furniture and so much use of it on the walls as it would be very distracting from the image that should be on screen, but they weren't paying for something to look good in reality. Geez, I sound bitter. ;)

I do like the layout, and would love to someday get the opportunity to do a room half this nice for someone. It's truly spectacular.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
I thought about that too but then you have take into consideration where the picture was taken from and how well you can see once you are seated in the seats close to the rails.

But, the balcony would not be my choice and would ask to come back when the front row center seat is open:D
indeed. that is why i said " from what i can see". and not only that, i bet the sound is not as good up there.

but look at it this way. they can put the kids up there, too get rid of them.

this is an awesome theater. but, it was sold by someone too make a LARGE profit. too someone that has far more money than HT knowledge.
and more power to both of them ...

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
AMAZING THEATER. Poor Responses...

To the Owner of this Theater complex,

CONGRATULATIONS on having one of the finest "home theaters" in the world.

Truly amazing choice of equipment, and decorations (whether people like them or not, cuz there are always HATERS out there, i.e. you all you have already commented). While the room may not be up to everyone's liking it is without a doubt a wonder to look at, if only in pictures.

Once again, big Kudos to you on getting together the proper team of experts to put this all together for you. A three year build time is always a very difficult thing to deal with, but the final results are just stunning.

NOW TO YOU COMMENTORS WHO HAD TO HATE ON THIS...

WHY? Why must you hate on something fantastic like this?

The home theater/audio video/home automation industry STRIVES to this level work, and to be able to have a client who clearly has a serious love for performance and elegance, and is willing to put forth the means to have it with sparing NO COST is every installers dream.

Could the integrator have recommended a different projector? Of course they could have, and performance may or may not have been sacrified (this is in reference to the Titan projector that was recommended).

One thing that people love is for things to MATCH, and while none of the equipment is actually shown and is obviously in a RACK somewhere in the structure, MATCHING the Projector Brand to the Processor brand was clearly something that this Client and Integrator wished to do.

A mercedes Benz S63AMG is a great vehicle, but some people just want the Rolls Royce because they can. Also, the choice of MERIDIAN equipment in this application is a good one. Meridian is a brand that stands behind there products, and is consistently on the cutting edge of the AV world. Yes there are many shared ascpects between the Meridian projector and JVC's HD-ILA technology, but there is still TONS of proprietary MERIDIAN gear inside that projector box. Don't boo-hoo Meridian because Lexicon rebadged an OPPO player, Meridian is the real deal, and has been for a LONG TIME.

And price wise once again, the Mercedes S63AMG will run you between 150-175 grand, and the rolls royce will go for $300K, and thats just how that goes. Meridian goes the same way.

Again, I tip my hat off to this amazing installation and for all of those who will have the opportunity to witness it live and in person.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Electronic House has an article about a pretty cool home theater located in the Cayman Islands. The theater room was built from teh ground up and includes 19 custom-designed theater seats and bar stools in the main seating area and a dozen more in an elegantly styled balcony behind the back row of chairs. ....

Discuss "Cayman Islands Theater Includes Real Balcony" here. Read the article.
Wow, it's amazing what can be achieved in a country with no taxes!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
WHY? Why must you hate on something fantastic like this?
And WHY must we hate on Monster for their predatory business practice?

Audioholics and it's forum members have long been here to point out when people are getting ripped off. They have always been a place where people have made sure that design was incorporated to enhance the final objective, not to just put money on the bottom line.

If cable risers DID enhance audio, then people here would encourage it.

If high dollar cables DID improve audio/video, then people here would encourage it.

The home theater/audio video/home automation industry STRIVES to this level work, and to be able to have a client who clearly has a serious love for performance and elegance, and is willing to put forth the means to have it with sparing NO COST is every installers dream.
I think you are mistaken. The home theater industry strives to have quality installs that provide an acceptable quality product. The client was a rich person who likely just asked for the best and put a no-cost-to-high limit on it which a company took advantage of.

Moreso, the company didn't truly deliver a design which was flawless, but is pretty in pictures.

Heck, I'm sure it sounds good, and looks great.

As I said in my original post, there's a lot to like there!

But, every single aspect was about spending this guys money, and not as much was put into the actual engineering to deliver a top shelf system and home theater on that side of things.

Important: Not terrible! Just pretty weak for the level of equipment in the room and budget available. It's like spending money to make up for poor design work.

Could the integrator have recommended a different projector? Of course they could have, and performance may or may not have been sacrified (this is in reference to the Titan projector that was recommended).
Or they could have gone for the JVC at half the price who actually made the projector.

One thing that people love is for things to MATCH, and while none of the equipment is actually shown and is obviously in a RACK somewhere in the structure, MATCHING the Projector Brand to the Processor brand was clearly something that this Client and Integrator wished to do.
That's silly. Any A/V company with a lick of common sense knows that that is about as silly as it gets.

Sorry, but you put in the best equipment the budget allows that actually performs best. You don't buy it because it matches for the sake of matching. Not sure why any decent A/V company would go that route unless they are selling overprice snake oil.

A mercedes Benz S63AMG is a great vehicle, but some people just want the Rolls Royce because they can. Also, the choice of MERIDIAN equipment in this application is a good one.
I've seen Meridian equipment crash and fail. I think they are a smaller niche company with product which is sometimes buggy. They do have some great sounding gear, but that's a long way from a guarantee of quality, especially with a super high price tag. Runco, by example, is one of the least reliable projection companies on the market, at twice the price of competitors. JVC is incredibly reliable and considered one of the best out there, but for some reason it was necessary to double the price and go Meridian.

At the end of the day a Rolls Royce is NOT a Mercedes. But, that Meridian IS a JVC.

And that A/V company did good work, but cost a client thousands of dollars that likely could have had far better use elsewhere. Perhaps within the same system.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
It's very pretty, and that's why it gets an automatic approval.

My sister in-law is another great example of this. Drop dead gorgeous until her mouth opens, then you wish she'd drop dead.

Unfortunately for most of the world her looks are enough for people to believe she's great despite the fact that there's nothing of substance there.

majorloser

majorloser

It's very pretty, and that's why it gets an automatic approval.

My sister in-law is another great example of this. Drop dead gorgeous until her mouth opens, then you wish she'd drop dead.

Unfortunately for most of the world her looks are enough for people to believe she's great despite the fact that there's nothing of substance there.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Sorry man, I can't bring myself to do it.

However a quick Google search turned up the funniest thing I've seen in a while, mug shot from a run in with men who wear badges a couple of years ago.

Priceless.

And as far as on topic: I like the theater, it reminds me of the great theaters of days past. The choices in colors and materials does seem to favor appearance over performance. There would be light everywhere in that room.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

LOL, Priceless...:D

ps. we won't bring this post to her attention;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis