Pythagoras Subwoofer build thread

annunaki

annunaki

Here is a project I just finished for a customer of mine. The goal of this project was to provide ample output down to the high teens in a large open room, yet be unobtrusive in the room taking up minimal floor space. The sub must also make a sort of visual impression within the room in terms of design as well.

I settled on an isosceles right angle prism for the design. This allows the whole enclosure to tuck away nicely into a corner. It also provides a completely different look.

For drivers I selected the Acoustic Elegance AV-12X 12" sub woofer with two PR15-1400 passive radiators. Though I had to wait an extremely long time for the driver, I am happy I was finally able to get this delivered to my customer. Regardless of the issues I had with Acoustic Elegance in getting my order, the product is top notch and John is a stand up guy in a really tough spot, though things are beginning to look up for him.

The total enclosure volume after bracing and woofer displacement will net about 3.0ft^3. This tunes the enclosure to 18hz. The enclosure will be finished in a high gloss black.

I just finished and delivered this product as part of a full system install at the customers home. This was the last piece of the puzzle.

The basics of the enclosure:

Basic bracing pieces dry fitted:

Rest of bracing added:

Mounting Baffle attached:

Finish Baffle routed and rounded over:

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

Finish baffle attached:

Filler applied to screw holes and end grain:

After sanding:

After round overs added and sanding completed:

Primer applied:

annunaki

annunaki

My brother is did the painting in his shop. I did the prep work. He has all of the facilities and tools. The primer was put on 4 coats thick. Then knocked down with 180 grit and prepped for final paint (wet sanded) at 500 grit.

annunaki

annunaki

Here are some final assembly pics.

Enclosure prior to buff & wax.

Internal view of terminals:

External terminal view and mounting feet:

Acoustic foam added internally:

Driver mounted:

Driver mounted:

Another of the driver mounted:

Sub finished and in Customer's home!:

Matt34

Matt34

What's he going to power it with?

I may just have to PM you for a project if eD doesn't work out.;)

annunaki

annunaki

It is powered with a simple 500 watt BASH Amplifier.

It was literally "barely" working and it scared one of his kids in another part of the house! :p

I want to get some more time with it but wow, I was impressed with the performance in that large of a space. Efficient yet powerful.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
Your build pics are inspiring. To give me a relative comparison how would you say the AE driver is compared to the RSS315, titanic 12 and or Kappa 12VQ?

annunaki

annunaki

Your build pics are inspiring. To give me a relative comparison how would you say the AE driver is compared to the RSS315, titanic 12 and or Kappa 12VQ?
They are not in the same class. 22.5mm linear 1 way xmax and 1K power handling with pretty solid efficiency.

This is a 40lb+ driver! It is a brute! I was impressed with it especially once one factors in cost.

John (owner of AE) is basically a 1 man operation at this point. I would love to recommend this driver/setup to others but it will be a bit of time before he is back up to full scale and stocking drivers again. He is a great guy with a great product, but he has to get a few more things smoothed out before you would be able to probably order one. It took me about 9+ months to get this one! The good news is that we now know his tooling is all set to go and works. :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I wish I knew half as much as what you've forgotten about subwoofer design. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Nice looking sub. I doubt it will need much power. That looks like an interesting driver. I hope John weathers the financial storm. Too many people buy junk.

annunaki

annunaki

Nice looking sub. I doubt it will need much power. That looks like an interesting driver. I hope John weathers the financial storm. Too many people buy junk.
I agree. Like I said things are looking up for him though I am sure it will be a bit tough for a few more months for him. Great guy though. He gave me a full tour of his facilities.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Awesome build buddy....

John's PR sub had some incredible output when at my house in cube form and offered up very nice SQ... Very very loud.... !!!

Does it exhibit any rocking motion under power and heavy use...? Seems like a tall unit.

highfigh

highfigh

I agree. Like I said things are looking up for him though I am sure it will be a bit tough for a few more months for him. Great guy though. He gave me a full tour of his facilities.
That's no fair! It looks like that was painted in a body shop! Cheater!

What paint did you use for that? What was the drying time?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Awesome build. Looks very similar to the first box I ever built for my car, only mine wasn't NEARLY as nice :)

annunaki

annunaki

That's no fair! It looks like that was painted in a body shop! Cheater!

What paint did you use for that? What was the drying time?
Hey now!

I had my brother prime & paint in his "shop". Mind you this is more or less a heated garage with a heavy exhaust unit.

I did everything but spray it. This was auto body paint and clear coat.

A good DIY'er uses all tools in their arsenal. My brother and his skills happen to be on of the tools at my disposal. I would hardly call that cheating.;)

highfigh

highfigh

Hey now!

I had my brother prime & paint in his "shop". Mind you this is more or less a heated garage with a heavy exhaust unit.

I did everything but spray it.

A good DIY'er uses all tools in their arsenal. My brother and his skills happen to be on of the tools at my disposal. I would hardly call that cheating.;)
Now, how would your brother feel if he knew you called him a tool?

I thought it was a body shop when I saw the tubular X-frame supports under the box, white, shiny walls and what looked like a horizontal line of florescent lights along the wall. I have seen the same supports in body shops, for placing doors and body panels on when prepping and painting.

annunaki

annunaki

Awesome build buddy....

John's PR sub had some incredible output when at my house in cube form and offered up very nice SQ... Very very loud.... !!!

Does it exhibit any rocking motion under power and heavy use...? Seems like a tall unit.
So far no issues to report on that front. It is actually quite sturdy. It is 51.5" tall with the feet. 24" baffle width.

annunaki

annunaki

Now, how would your brother feel if he knew you called him a tool?

I thought it was a body shop when I saw the tubular X-frame supports under the box, white, shiny walls and what looked like a horizontal line of florescent lights along the wall. I have seen the same supports in body shops, for placing doors and body panels on when prepping and painting.
He would probably hit me or something. :)

Don't get me wrong he does have it set up quite nicely.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis