Judge Denies Monster Cable in Fanny Wang Beats Case

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
On Monday, Fanny Wang Headphone Co. appeared in San Francisco Federal Court to argue a motion filed by Monster Cable and Beats Electronics to prevent them from showing their new headphones at CES, a product that would inevitably raise the bar in style and sound against Beats by Dr. Dre. The judge denied the restraining order indicating that there is insufficient evidence that the new headphones infringe on patents and trade dress as alleged by Monster. Fanny Wang successfully argued that the on-ear headphones do not infringe on Monster Cable's design patent due to its distinct ornamental design, also arguing that the functional elements (hinges and slides) are not protected under design patent law.

Discuss "Judge Denies Monster Cable in Fanny Wang Beats Case" here. Read the article.

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
Fanny Wang should be thanking m. Marketing couldn't ask for better buzz at the largest trade show.

O

ohskigod

Junior Audioholic
warms my heart to see Monster get spanked in court.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Good for F.W. and doubly good for Monster Cable:D

F.W. should have had a mini-golf putting lane setup in their booth

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
F.W. should have had a mini-golf putting lane setup in their booth
LOL.

Eventually Monster will be a company that has no products and is nothing but lawyers protecting a name.

Last edited:
avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
That's a good one indeed Garcia :D

Think it's about time to CO-PARTNER aquiring MC as a whole, so this merge will be known as: CO - MONSTER though :p;)

J

jamie2112

Banned
POOR noal lee and his court happy buch of jester lawyers!!!!! :D:D:Dhahahahaha thats great news for FW for sure and it warms my heart to see them beaten in court!!!!!! YEA this made my day!!!! monster is getting such a bad rep ...and why is EVERYONE selling the crappy beats on craigslist? There is no less than 30 in LA craigslist alone..........they must sound great huh????:eek:

B

Bass Bum

Audioholic Intern
I have steadfastly refused to buy Monster products for many years. I feel the same about Monster as I do about Bose.

S

Shiitaki

Enthusiast
To Fanny Wang

Calling Monster out on their record of law suites does not change the fact your headphones look like cheap copies. Anyone can look at the headphones and see they are basically the same. Very unoriginal. If you really wanted to compete, there are a few improvements you could have made.

1- Provide true isolation, the monster phones broadcasts what you are listening to the whole world.

2- Integrated blue tooth, you wanna sell to women, get rid of the wires.

3- Computer accessable dsp. Have a miniusb port to charge, and allow customization of equalizer settings in the headphones. Add a button that cycles through equalization and surround settings.

4- Include a microphone so that when using bluetooth, you can still make calls.

5- Include a bluetooth transmitter that plugs into a headphone jack that works in addition to the device you have your headphones paired with, probably a cell phone.

6- Change the name! I suggest Kuro, it looks and sounds cool, and you'll be stealing that too, but don't worry, Pioneer isn't using it anyway.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I still love the name.

Sounds like a transvestite Chiese stripper.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Perhaps another incident where Monster thought their "scaring" tactics would work.... glad to see that they bite the dust again :)

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Die Monster, you miserable swines.

6- Change the name! I suggest Kuro, it looks and sounds cool, and you'll be stealing that too, but don't worry, Pioneer isn't using it anyway.
Can you patent an everyday term? Kuro means black. The "K" in most Panasonic models (telephones, blu-ray players, etc.) stands for "Black".

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Die Monster, you miserable swines.

Can you patent an everyday term? Kuro means black. The "K" in most Panasonic models (telephones, blu-ray players, etc.) stands for "Black".
You could make a patent on a car with 4 wheels :rolleyes:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Patent? Not likely. Aren't patents for goods designed?

Copyright - not likely.

Trademark - yes.

Elite, I believe is what Pioneer has a trademark on in the A/V industry, as they do with Kuro.

It is not that they can't lose that trademark, but much like Monster (tm) does, the use of common words that are uniquely applied within an industry can hold legal trademark status.

At least, that's what I've read and seen in the past.

Still, I'm down with them losing their court case.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis