Yamaha Aventage vs Pioneer Elite

N

niraj36

Enthusiast
Hello all.. I am looking to replace my AVR. The two models I am currently considering are the Pioneer Elite VSX-33 and the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000. Which one would you choose and why. Also, are there any other models which I should consider? My ideal budget is about around $1,200 but can spend and extra $500 if needed. At that price point I am looking at the Pioneer Elite SC-35 and Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I think either the Pioneer Elite VSX-33 or the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 would be a great receiver to have. I would probably go with the Yamaha if they were at the same price, as I am used to having Yamaha receivers and I like the idea of having HD radio. It also has 2 more HDMI inputs, though the Pioneer may have enough (right now, I am using 4 HDMI sources, so either would work in my case, but the future may involve more HDMI sources).

I would not recommend spending any more on the receiver, unless you need some feature not found on one of those models. If you want your money to give you a real audible improvement, spend it on better speakers (including subwoofers), not on a better receiver than one of those.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I would go for the Yamaha if for no other reason it is easier to use. Pioneer has horrid user interfaces and remote designs. The newer ones are better but still really confusing.

Both receivers are nice unites but the Yamaha is more up to date with features and it is easier to use.

Last edited:
N

niraj36

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. After some more research, I am leaning toward the higher end models I mentioned.. the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000 or the Pioneer Elite SC-35.

I see the SC-35 has a Class D amp.. while I think the Yamaha has a class AB. Is it worth the extra $100 for a Class D amp? I am looking for a model with will have the best sound and video processing quality. Does anyone have any opionions on the audio/video quality between these two makes??

I will be keeping my exisiting speakers which are Monitor Audio Silver RX.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the replies. After some more research, I am leaning toward the higher end models I mentioned.. the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000 or the Pioneer Elite SC-35.

I see the SC-35 has a Class D amp.. while I think the Yamaha has a class AB. Is it worth the extra $100 for a Class D amp? I am looking for a model with will have the best sound and video processing quality. Does anyone have any opionions on the audio/video quality between these two makes??

Class D is more efficient than class A-B but that is their only advantage. Sonically, there should be no difference except that some people complained that the early adopters of class D sound shrill and harsh.

I personaly like Yamaha better than Pioneer owning a Yamaha and being totally satisifed with its capabilities.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

For the video processing, you will need to look for professional reviews. Even if one has a better processing chip than the other, that does not mean that it will have been properly implemented, so it is possible that the other receiver will actually have better video processing capabilities.

However, you need to consider your actual sources, and pay attention to whether or not they will output an unprocessed video signal, as many sources do not do this. I have a couple of sources with which one selects what the output will be, and the unit processes everything to be that output, so using a separate video processor would be extremely inconvenient with such sources, as one would have to manually select the actual format for output. (That is, I have, for example, a DVR that records whatever is broadcast, but will output everything at 720p or 1080i or whatever one has set it to output. There is no option to have it just output whatever the format of the recording is.) So with such sources, unless one manually selects the output for each particular show played, a separate video processor is irrelevant and a waste of money. If your sources are like that, and if you are not going to manually select a different output for each program (almost no one is going to do that, and judge this realistically for yourself), don't waste your money on a receiver with expensive video processing. Only get it if you need it and will actually use it.

N

niraj36

Enthusiast
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I have been doing a little more research and came across the Onkyo TX-NR3008 which is comparable in price to the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000.

Any ony have any opinions on Onkyo's vs Yamaha Aventage?

B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
The Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo along with the Marantz are the units I have been considering. Pretty tough choice as all seem to be pretty good units/

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo along with the Marantz are the units I have been considering. Pretty tough choice as all seem to be pretty good units/
Yes they are. It boils down to what features are most important to you and the ease of use of the receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis