best 55-60" TV for the price?

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
What is the best tv for the price out there in theis size range? I have been reviewing the samsung 58" c6500 tv for a while, but I do not like that 60hz sub field motion as it is what I have on my tv right now.

I am looking for 120hz only, i think 240hz has a too real of a look, and I do not like that real life effect of the tv. I am looking for the best tv for the price, and just bigger than what I have now...Thanks!

D

dTor

Audiophyte
If you don't plan on hanging it on a wall, a DLP is a great option for large tv at a low price. You can pick up a Mitsubishi 60" for about $600, plus Mistubishi is running a special where they will give you a 3D kit (emitter, 2 sets of glasses) for free.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
If you dont like the "soap opera" look on LCD/LED tvs that make film based material look like video then go with a plasma tv. You will get more tv (size) for your dollar than LCD or LED tv anyways plus benefit from darker blacks in most cases.

I love Panasonic VT series tvs myself if you cant get a Pioneer Kuro.

Or go buy an LCD or LED tv & turn that feature down or off at your discression. That "look" is adjustable on most sets.

I agree that it SUX too!!

( FYI: LED tvs are LCDs with LED lights behind the panel as opposed to flourecent)

Hope this helps...its TVs 101 :)

V

vosschs

Enthusiast
If you don't plan on hanging it on a wall, a DLP is a great option for large tv at a low price. You can pick up a Mitsubishi 60" for about $600, plus Mistubishi is running a special where they will give you a 3D kit (emitter, 2 sets of glasses) for free.
I've seen those DLP's before and I will just say I do not like them. I am a video freak, and just cannot watch them. Every angle is like watching a different picture. Look for a LCD or even a Plasma.

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
i actually owned the 73" and sold it as it was not dark enough, and it was just not the quality I liked.

but thanks for the input!

T

Tdub

Audiophyte
I bought a Panasonic Viera 1080p Plasma with internet capabilities and love it. I didn't like the look of the LED TVs. Just wasn't for me.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Look at the Toshiba Regza Cineama Series 55" LCD/LED back light. I had a Samsung 46" Plasma that went bad after a year, main board was more expensive then a new TV like it. Glad I had the extended service warranty. They gave me full credit for it so I added a little $$ and got a 55". Plasma run too hot and use more electricity, never again. Good Luck with what ever you purchase.

C

clouso

Banned
Look at the Toshiba Regza Cineama Series 55" LCD/LED back light. I had a Samsung 46" Plasma that went bad after a year, main board was more expensive then a new TV like it. Glad I had the extended service warranty. They gave me full credit for it so I added a little $$ and got a 55". Plasma run too hot and use more electricity, never again. Good Luck with what ever you purchase.
I owned a regza 670 series and i can tell you for your sanity dont ever buy one!...the ''blooming'' effect and what was called ''issue'' made me go insane....even my DLP toshiba wich i dont recall the series was better then that...once you will notice all those white clouds in dark scenes you will start to think...what the **** is that then you will be very angry at the PQ.....since i went plasma i could not be happier!...plasma creates its own lightning so there is no ''blooming'' issues and the fact that it creates its own light gives you better blacks better contrast and no ''blooming''.....always think twice before buying something...wich i didnt do when i bought this regza!....

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I owned a regza 670 series and i can tell you for your sanity dont ever buy one!...the ''blooming'' effect and what was called ''issue'' made me go insane....even my DLP toshiba wich i dont recall the series was better then that...once you will notice all those white clouds in dark scenes you will start to think...what the **** is that then you will be very angry at the PQ.....since i went plasma i could not be happier!...plasma creates its own lightning so there is no ''blooming'' issues and the fact that it creates its own light gives you better blacks better contrast and no ''blooming''.....always think twice before buying something...wich i didnt do when i bought this regza!....
So far I am Very Happy with it. It about 11 months old. The LCD/LED back light model has Great color and no shady spots (Not a frame light LED bar). I hope you have better luck with a Plasma then I did. They run a lot hotter then the LCD I have now.......I figure none of these new flat screen TV will last like the old CRT's did back in the day. I get the 3 years service policy and so about 18 months I will have a different TV. I f this one goes out.......... :D Next.

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
I've had a Pioneer plasma for 6 years now - in fact I just purchased a new TV yesterday to replace it (I don't even want to admit how much it cost when I purchased it... but let's just say the new 52" Sony LED unit was less than 15% of what the 43" Pioneer was).

I really like the Panasonic plasmas in the VT and GT lines (or G25 line if you don't want/care about 3D capabilities). If you're really in to video primarily, and don't like the DLP look - then I would agree with plasma being the better technology... it just looks 'right'.

That being said, I got the N800 series Sony which does have the 240Hz mode - I just won't ever use it. When I was in the store I noticed that they had some Samsung and Panasonic plasmas on a wall that were always displaying the menu on the Star Trek bluray they had for demo... when we asked them to play the movie so we could see video playing - the choice (at least between those two) was clear. The burn in on the Samsung was as bad as it is on my 6 year old Pioneer (the reason I was looking for a new TV in the first place). On the panasonic it was just barely visible and went away completely within about 5 minutes of having a full screen video.

Anyway, my wife and I read hundreds of reviews and viewed all of the units on display at 3 big box stores and costco too... pretty much you just have to see if you like the picture and the price is right. I actually liked plasma best, CCFL backlit LCD second and LED backlit 3rd. But then wound up buying an LED backlit TV after all that - because the price was so good I couldn't pass it up. However, other than wanting movies to look 'good enough' I'm not really as critical of video as you might be.

C

clouso

Banned
I've had a Pioneer plasma for 6 years now - in fact I just purchased a new TV yesterday to replace it (I don't even want to admit how much it cost when I purchased it... but let's just say the new 52" Sony LED unit was less than 15% of what the 43" Pioneer was).

I really like the Panasonic plasmas in the VT and GT lines (or G25 line if you don't want/care about 3D capabilities). If you're really in to video primarily, and don't like the DLP look - then I would agree with plasma being the better technology... it just looks 'right'.

That being said, I got the N800 series Sony which does have the 240Hz mode - I just won't ever use it. When I was in the store I noticed that they had some Samsung and Panasonic plasmas on a wall that were always displaying the menu on the Star Trek bluray they had for demo... when we asked them to play the movie so we could see video playing - the choice (at least between those two) was clear. The burn in on the Samsung was as bad as it is on my 6 year old Pioneer (the reason I was looking for a new TV in the first place). On the panasonic it was just barely visible and went away completely within about 5 minutes of having a full screen video.

Anyway, my wife and I read hundreds of reviews and viewed all of the units on display at 3 big box stores and costco too... pretty much you just have to see if you like the picture and the price is right. I actually liked plasma best, CCFL backlit LCD second and LED backlit 3rd. But then wound up buying an LED backlit TV after all that - because the price was so good I couldn't pass it up. However, other than wanting movies to look 'good enough' I'm not really as critical of video as you might be.
I have never had any issues with my pionner about burn ins....yes you must be a bit more carefull with a plasma but if you use it the right way you can have the '' BEST PICTURE'' right now available....oled was promising but they realized (companies) that they cant produce it in really good size for now...i am just waiting for a brand to out performe my elite..cause i always want the best...:D

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I have never had any issues with my pionner about burn ins....yes you must be a bit more carefull with a plasma but if you use it the right way you can have the '' BEST PICTURE'' right now available....oled was promising but they realized (companies) that they cant produce it in really good size for now...i am just waiting for a brand to out performe my elite..cause i always want the best...:D
I always want the best too. From what I have read I blew it on the Samsung Bluray...we both did not do our research on that pick.(your's quit) I liked my Samsung Plasma but it dd not last but 13 months and I have a Wii and the kids have our TV on all day. I was always running the program to sweep the screen so no burn in's. I wanted to wall mount the Plasma but it ran so hot I purchased two small fans to help vent the heat. That did not help as it burned out the main control board and it took Samsung almost 2 weeks to OK a full store refund instead of repairing it.:confused: I have read where several people commented about issues with LCD/LED . Mine works great and I am very happy with it...so far. Extended warranty :D on all my A/V equipment.

L

lennon_68

Enthusiast
I'm no videophile and not really sure how you personally weight "best" for the price but I got what I believe is a great deal on a 60" LG LCD recently and have seen similar deals on it since if you keep a close eye on slickdeals. It's the 60LD550 - 1080p, 120hz, webapps built in. It was $1260 shipped and it's been very close to that cheap a couple times since. A huge step up for me from 720p projector/32" cheap Westinghouse LCD so I don't have anything to really compare it to quality wise but I've been loving it :)

B

bhuskins

Audioholic Intern
my vote would be for one of the plasmas as well in that size...great bang for the buck and hard to beat the tech

C

Chopper231

Enthusiast
Sony Kdl-hx55800

I just purchaced a Sony KDL-55HX800 for around $2,100. It's a 55" LED LCD flat screen that is also 3D ready. It does take quite a bit more if you going to watch 3D movies but I must say it's worth it. The picture is incredible yet the sound is on the weak side. With any 3D ready TV, you will also need:
- 3D Bluray player (I recommend one of the same brand as the TV)
- 3D glasses (same brand as TV)
- 3D HDMI cables 1.4 cert (This is a must!)
- Some TV's and players will require the latest update before working properly

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I just purchaced a Sony KDL-55HX800 for around $2,100. It's a 55" LED LCD flat screen that is also 3D ready. It does take quite a bit more if you going to watch 3D movies but I must say it's worth it. The picture is incredible yet the sound is on the weak side. With any 3D ready TV, you will also need:
- 3D Bluray player (I recommend one of the same brand as the TV)
- 3D glasses (same brand as TV)
- 3D HDMI cables 1.4 cert (This is a must!)
- Some TV's and players will require the latest update before working properly
My neighbor purchased a 3D HD A/V Receiver that he HDMI from 3D Bluray player to 3D A/V Receiver and HDMI to 3D flat screen....... and the sound is great now.

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
I've seen those DLP's before and I will just say I do not like them. I am a video freak, and just cannot watch them. Every angle is like watching a different picture. Look for a LCD or even a Plasma.

For the size and of corse depending on room size, I say go with the DLP. Much more screen for the size and I beleive DLP offers a much better movie experience. And exactly how many angles can one watch a 72" at?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis