Can't connect Panasonic BD65 to internet

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
Im trying to connect my bluray player to the internet. It passes the 1st two test but fails the Gateway connection test. It says to check my router or hub. I have it connected to a Belkin wireless N router. Do I need to change something on the router? I thought all I would have to do is plug in the network cable and it would work. Thanks for any help you can give.

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
Tried that several times. Also tried different cables.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Im trying to connect my bluray player to the internet. It passes the 1st two test but fails the Gateway connection test. It says to check my router or hub. I have it connected to a Belkin wireless N router. Do I need to change something on the router? I thought all I would have to do is plug in the network cable and it would work. Thanks for any help you can give.
Try the steps on page 13 of your manual. If that does not work try a different router brand. I suspect your player may not be compatible with your router. It can apparently find your router IP address but not connect to the Gateway.

I have always had good luck with Linksys routers, Netgear not so much.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It's hard to trouble shoot without having my hands on the device, but I suspect you are doing something wrong. I seriously doubt changing routers would solve anything. Router topology has been well established for a long time. I'm sure it's a setting on the player itself.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Have you set the player to DHCP or to static?

If you've set it to static then you will need to provide the full information I suspect for the network it is on including the DNS information.

If you are hard wired to a router which is hard wired to your Internet connection and you can connect a PC using the same wire, and everything on the computer is set to DHCP, then you should be able to set the Panasonic to DHCP as well and it should get an IP address automatically and should not have issues.

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
password

If your router is password protected for security have you entered this password (WEP or WPA).

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
I have not changed anything manualy. All I have done is run a cat5 cable from my router to my bluray player. Then I go to the network setup in the player and select "wired" connection. The it does a "Networ Easy Setting (Connection Check)". I pass the LAN cable connection and the IP address setting but fail the Connection to gateway. It says, "Please check the jub and broadband router settings". Im not sure what I need to check. I also ran a cat5 cable for my Dish reciver and it has no problem connecting. I even tried swaping the cables and the bluray player still cannot connect. I have rebooted the modem and router several times but that has not worked either. I have read the manual but all it says is to connect a network cable and run the setup. Is there a setting that I need to change on my router? Is it the player?

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
Password

Unless your home network is totally unsecure (not a good idea), you will have to put the password in during setup in order to be connected. Have you done this?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I have not changed anything manualy. All I have done is run a cat5 cable from my router to my bluray player. Then I go to the network setup in the player and select "wired" connection. The it does a "Networ Easy Setting (Connection Check)". I pass the LAN cable connection and the IP address setting but fail the Connection to gateway. It says, "Please check the jub and broadband router settings". Im not sure what I need to check.
Did you enable MAC address filtering or limit the number of connections allowed? If so, add the MAC address of the player to the router and/or make sure the number of connected devices allowed is greater than the total number of devices connected to the router.

Log into the router and check the value of the IP address that was assigned and the default gateway.

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
I have it password protected but during the setup process there is no where to enter the password.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I have it password protected but during the setup process there is no where to enter the password.
If you're talking about the WEP or WPA passphrase for wireless it isn't necessary for wired connections. That passphrase is used to create a key to encrypt the wireless data.

From your description it sounds like there is a problem with the player seeing the gateway (which will be the router). If the gateway address the player is using doesn't match there will be no way to get packets not destined for the local network out to the internet.

That's why I suggested looking at the network config: ip address, netmask, default gateway address. Does the player offer a menu option to display those values?

highfigh

highfigh

Did you follow the instructions in the manual? Most of these will recognize the network immediately and have a connection status check in the menu.

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
MDS the player does have a manual settings so you can set things manually. When it comes to computer networking though, I am illiterate. I have no idea what to change anything too.

highfigh: The manual says, Connect network cable, Run setup. That's pretty much all the help it gives.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
MDS the player does have a manual settings so you can set things manually. When it comes to computer networking though, I am illiterate. I have no idea what to change anything too.

Well I was thinking if you can find the information and post it and the stats for other devices connected to the same router I could see if there is anything obviously wrong and try to help.

highfigh

highfigh

Since I'll be installing three of these soon, I figured that there's no time like the present to find out what the setup requires, so.....

Your player has no network connection. If it did, you would automatically see that it's connected. Make sure the cable is good and that it works with something else. I tried one that I suspected of being bad- it is. I tried a crossover cable, thinking that it may sort things out for itself- it doesn't. If you made your own cable, re-do the RJ-45 connectors or just buy one. It only takes one bad wire to cause a problem like this and they're cheap.

Once it's connected, you'll see that new firmware is available- update the player and then do the setup. It's not hard and the firmware update takes only a few minutes.

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
wireless only

Duh on me. I forgot about it being wired.

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
I made the cable and tested it and it tested good. I ran 2 lines 1 for the Sat. Receiver and 1 for the Bluray. The sat. receiver connects but the bluray does not. I tried updating the firmware last night and now neither my bluray or sat receiver is connecting (my laptop still does). I am going to do a hard reset of the router tonight and see if I can get the sat. receiver working again. MDS: If the Bluray still does not work I will post my settings and see if you can figure it out. Maybe the hard rest will do it. Between this and the Monoprice HDMI over ethernet wall plates not working, it has been a frustrating weekend. I need something to punch :)

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
Reset the router and started from scratch and I still can't connect the bluray or sat receiver. Im not sure why the sat receiver is not connecting anymore. Anyway, I tried these steps on this website and it did not work either. http://www.fixya.com/support/t7035724-im_having_trouble_connecting Here are my settings of my router and bluray player. One of the pics shows everything connected to the network. Im guessing the ones labeled with numbers and letter are the bluray and sat receiver. Thanks again for any help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis