Connect coax to pioneer vsx 820

C

cj1999

Audiophyte
Forgive this dumb question but I haven't kept up with technology apparently. I've got a coax cable from com cast, goes to their digital converter, then coax from digital converter to samsung ln t2642h.

Bought the above pioneer vsx 820 but it does not have a standard coax terminal in the back. I know it can be done but how do I get the cable signal to run thru the receiver so I can get audio thru the speakers?

The tv has all types of connections including multiple hdmi and so does the receiver. It is confusing me since previously just ran coax directly to a receiver then to a tv.

This in advance.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Forgive this dumb question but I haven't kept up with technology apparently. I've got a coax cable from com cast, goes to their digital converter, then coax from digital converter to samsung ln t2642h.

Bought the above pioneer vsx 820 but it does not have a standard coax terminal in the back. I know it can be done but how do I get the cable signal to run thru the receiver so I can get audio thru the speakers?

The tv has all types of connections including multiple hdmi and so does the receiver. It is confusing me since previously just ran coax directly to a receiver then to a tv.
I assume the 'coax' cable you are talking about is the type that is terminated with an F connector and is connected from the wall plate where the comcast signal comes into the house and then to the cable box. No receivers have an RF/antenna input like that so I don't see how you could have ever connected an RF cable directly to a receiver in the past.

The comcast cable box will have audio and video outputs. You connect the audio and video outs to the receiver's inputs and then use one single video cable from the receiver to the TV. If the cable box has an HDMI output, then use that to the receiver and another HDMI out from the receiver to the TV. If it doesn't have HDMI, use component video cables and either coax or optical digital audio cables.

C

cj1999

Audiophyte
Misunderstood, still need help

I probably wasn't clear. I DO NOT have a comcast set top box. I have a cable running from the street into my home for cable tv. This copper wire (its called coax right?) runs from the wall to my TV, voila I have cable tv. You know the setup everyone has been using for 20 plus years. Recenty due to Comcast upgrades they furnished these boxes (about the size of a pack of cigarettes where the coax cable runs into the small box, another coax cable runs from the box to the TV. There is NOTHING else to this box, no other inputs, buttons etc. All of this functions just fine I'm just trying to give all the details I can.

Recently I replaced a Onkyo receiver that is faulty with this Pioneer VSX 820. The Pioneer does not have a input for me to run a coax copper cable directly into the receiver. The Onkyo clearly had an input for me to run this cable into it.

To summarize, I don't know how to get the cable tv audio to run thru my receiver. I don't have a cable set top box so the previous responder's advice won't work for me.

I came up with this am I on the right track:

1)leave the coax cable coming from the wall in the TV where it is now
2)plug a coax cable into the TV out port on the TV
3)get a coax to RCA adapter and plug the other end of this cable into the RCA out port of the adapter
4)plug the other end of the rca cord into the rca in of the receiver.

Thanks for the replies

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I probably wasn't clear. I DO NOT have a comcast set top box. I have a cable running from the street into my home for cable tv. This copper wire (its called coax right?) runs from the wall to my TV, voila I have cable tv. You know the setup everyone has been using for 20 plus years. Recenty due to Comcast upgrades they furnished these boxes (about the size of a pack of cigarettes where the coax cable runs into the small box, another coax cable runs from the box to the TV. There is NOTHING else to this box, no other inputs, buttons etc. All of this functions just fine I'm just trying to give all the details I can.
Got it. I was going to go into that setup (with or without this magic little box I've never heard of) but mistakenly assumed that box was actually a digital set-top box. With or without that box you're using the TV's internal tuner to tune cable channels and therefore the TV has the audio. To get the audio to the receiver you have to use one of the TV's audio outs, either analog or optical audio.

The downside is the TV may or may not send DD 5.1 out the optical out as-is. It may downmix it to 2 channel PCM (TV's vary in their features). If you use the analog outs, it will definitely downmix to 2 channel PCM then convert to analog. I'm only mentioning this because the next logical question will be 'why don't I get 5.1 surround at my receiver?'

Recently I replaced a Onkyo receiver that is faulty with this Pioneer VSX 820. The Pioneer does not have a input for me to run a coax copper cable directly into the receiver. The Onkyo clearly had an input for me to run this cable into it.
'Coax' is a type of cable construction. The RG-59 or RG-6 cable from the wall outlet to the TV is coax but so are audio, video, subwoofer, etc cables. The RG-type cables have an F connector at the end - the little pin that you stick in the antenna jack on the TV and then tighten the barrel.

I would love to know the model number of an Onkyo receiver that has an input for an F connector. Never seen ANY brand of receiver that has such an input. Now most all receivers have an input for that type of cable but it is for an antenna for the radio, not an input to a cable tuner.

I came up with this am I on the right track:

1)leave the coax cable coming from the wall in the TV where it is now
2)plug a coax cable into the TV out port on the TV
3)get a coax to RCA adapter and plug the other end of this cable into the RCA out port of the adapter
4)plug the other end of the rca cord into the rca in of the receiver.
No.

The TV antenna out is modulated on channel 3 or 4. You'd need to connect it to a VCR or other device with a tuner and then use audio outputs of the VCR to the receiver. I suspect that is what you had before because receivers don't have cable tuners.

Just keep the RF cable from the cable company's little box to the TV as you have it now and use optical out or analog audio out from the TV to the receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis