Aperion 6t vs psb Image t6 vs paradigm studio 60 v5

C

chris2010

Audiophyte
hELLO,

I am seeking your impressions/experiences on these three speakers.
I currently own a pair of studio 40 v4. They are excellent (midrange, transparency, bass ok down to 40hz) but I would like a tower to hear more low/fat bass without loosing quality.
The PSB Image looks good for the price but I am not really sure if it does directly compete with the Paradigm studio series.
Aperion, I have no idea whether or not they are in the same league.
Can anyone share experience?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The stereophile measurements of the Image T6 seemed rather impressive, except for what seemed to be a bit of bass bloat below 100hz

Can't say much though. I don't like paradigms (well maybe I'd like the signature series but the monitors and studios i've heard don't do it for me).

The Aperions look like rather nice speakers, if a bit on the brighter side of things. I think i'd like their Verus Grands better but I've heard neither.

Honestly i don't like that general price range. I like ~$800 and ~$2000 because the choices in those are awesome

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The stereophile measurements of the Image T6 seemed rather impressive, except for what seemed to be a bit of bass bloat below 100hz

Can't say much though. I don't like paradigms (well maybe I'd like the signature series but the monitors and studios i've heard don't do it for me).

The Aperions look like rather nice speakers, if a bit on the brighter side of things. I think i'd like their Verus Grands better but I've heard neither.

Honestly i don't like that general price range. I like ~$800 and ~$2000 because the choices in those are awesome
Gee, that was helpful.:rolleyes:

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
hELLO,

I currently own a pair of studio 40 v4. They are excellent (midrange, transparency, bass ok down to 40hz) but I would like a tower to hear more low/fat bass without loosing quality.
The PSB Image looks good for the price but I am not really sure if it does directly compete with the Paradigm studio series.
I would suggest that if you are happy with your Studio 40's, the best option for getting greater bass extension, is to get a good subwoofer to go with your present speakers. Probably more cost-effective as well.

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
+1 for the .1 I was pissed that Paradigm dropped the 40's and the S4's. I have listened to both the 40 v4 and the 60 v5 IMO I don't think you would gain much if anything. I loved the 40's and the S4's. Have listened to the new Aperion floor standers sounded good. The PSB move up in their line like the Imagine they sounded good too. IMO if you like the 40's but want to get lower than 40hz go with a sub because they all will need help going that low. Have a good one.:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
hELLO,

I'm a big fan of Paradigm's Studio series and even a bigger fan of PSB' Image series. However, I don't the Image line is as refined as the Studio seried. If you are considering PSB as a replacement for your Studio's I would look at the Imagine line (Not to be confused with the Image line) which is PSB's answer to Paradigm' Studio series. I don't know much Aperion.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
FWIW...Since Stereophile doesn't have an anechoic chamber, their method of splicing/summing measurements of certain speakers accentuates the bass measurement. In their explanation on speaker measurements, they actually mention it...but I can't seem to find it now.

C

chris2010

Audiophyte
Thank you all for your input... I did not consider a sub because my amp does not provide an output (NAD 316).
I measured the studio 40 bass output in my room with a stereophile test cd, and they go down steady to 40hz, clearly starting to roll off at 38. THere's almost no sound below 36hz.
I looked further into PSB, found the t5 and noticed that based on specs they measure +-3db from 35Hz and up, with a -10db at 30. Based on specs alone, that's quite an achievement for such a small tower!
I would really rather have 2 towers instead of 2 monitors on stands + sub. A small foot print is important too.
Based on your comments and price point, it seems that the PSB Image is somewhere in between the Paradigm Monitor and Studio series. Maybe there are other brands that I overlooked.
Therefore, PSB Image t5 vs Paradigm Studio 40 v4: Am I totally out of my mind?

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Before the advent of bass management & avrs it was common for subs to provide their own rudimentary bass management with speaker level inputs, outputs, and crossover. I suspect you can find quality subs with this feature today, but I haven't been looking for this feature so I can't name any. Perhaps someone else on can chime in. I think it's still worth it for you to look into a sub to achieve what you're after.

Another plus for the sub option is that it increases placement flexibility. Often the location that is best for imaging and sound stage of the mains is not the best location for low frequency response. Having a separate sub allows you to locate it in the best location for bass without impacting the mains.

HTH

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

For the price of towers you are looking at you could get two quality subs such as the Epik Legends or ED A3s-250. Like others have said you'll notice more of an improvement getting a sub(s) than moving up a notch to a tower version of the same speaker.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
For the price of towers you are looking at you could get two quality subs such as the Epik Legends or ED A3s-250. Like others have said you'll notice more of an improvement getting a sub(s) than moving up a notch to a tower version of the same speaker.
He doesn't have bass management with his amp/receiver...that is why he's going towers. :)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
He doesn't have bass management with his amp/receiver...that is why he's going towers. :)
But subwoofers often have built in bass mgmt. It would probably take more experimentation and research than the "easier" BM of a receiver, as I believe I had learned from mike c that most/all of them are low pass only.

So, it will be about carefully choosing the sub's xover point in relation to the speaker's response. The OP, however, appears to have measuring equipment, so I'm not worried about him at all.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Well, i'm not so sure, but your NAD may have a tape loop so you can insert a sub with a high pass filter there. I checked and SVS and Rythmik both have subs with this feature.

Velodyne's DLS-R line is an example that has speaker level in/outs if you want to keep your tape loop intact (although they aren't held in as high regard as the ID brands.)

Last edited:
C

chris2010

Audiophyte
OK I am definetly decided to go with a 2-piece system, therefore towers.
I have done further reading on the PSB Image and it looks like they have a very good product which should work very well with my nad integrated and do bass. The T6 really was well received by reviewers and owners. There's not much on the T5, but a lot on the T45 which was the predecessor.
What I have left to do is to go and listen to a pair and see if it is worth to change. I found a dealer not too too far from my house and I will go next week to hear them.
If I add a sub at a later time, i will give a try to the svs.

Unobtainium

Unobtainium

Audioholic Intern
Couldn't agree more. Getting a tower, especially a small one, to do bass is a stretch. Using a sub as mentioned will not only provide a good foundation, but it will alleviate the amp of trying to make bass with a small speaker.
This is going to be very subjective though. If you don't spend enough on a good sub, it will ruin the music altogether. I suggest looking at a bunch of options. Listening is going to be key. As much as the ID subs are a great value, I think it's important you listen to various subs with a set of studio 40's.
You can talk to the store of your choice, and tell them what you are after. Taking a few subs home to your room would be best. I would honestly look at decent sealed subs first. Paradigm has some good subs, but lower in the price range they are mostly vented. Energy makes some decent sealed subs around the 1000 mark. If you are convinced the ID subs are your ticket, see if a friend or acquaintance has one in your price range to borrow.
A stereo pair of subs would sound excellent if you can stretch the budget.
Have fun, good luck.

C

chris2010

Audiophyte
OK - I finally acquired a pair of psb image 5t and I am impressed by the bass output for a such a small footprint. They are not the most refined speaker, but a fine compromise and exactly what I was looking for: a full range speaker in a relatively small box. It feels that they are for psb what the MMGs are for magnepan. I will keep them for a while until I can afford either the imagine T or synchrony two.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
OK - I finally acquired a pair of psb image 5t and I am impressed by the bass output for a such a small footprint. They are not the most refined speaker, but a fine compromise and exactly what I was looking for: a full range speaker in a relatively small box. It feels that they are for psb what the MMGs are for magnepan. I will keep them for a while until I can afford either the imagine T or synchrony two.

Congrats on your purchase. It doesn't suprise me that you find them less refined that the Studio series but you are at a lower price bracket series wise. More compromises have to be taken at the lower price point.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis