lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The build has begun this will be the interior structure of the speakers. They will be inside a constraint layer composed of roofing felt. Then an exterior plywood structure will be built around the interior structure. The bracing will be significant and their will be an 3" port.

WinISD model

Box notes was used to compute the interior the bracing is more

Cuts were made with a circular saw connected to a shop vac to capture the nasty dust.

Nicely stacked and cut.

Clamps

Glue

Emerson tools straight edge

Gluing is being done on the structure now.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Clamp setup for back gluing

Back Glued

Lots of red oak braces.

Next up is brace gluing

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Lookin' good dude. But didn't you say you were looking to go to Seminary school? Don't know if a future preist should be talking about doing 3-ways. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Lookin' good dude. But didn't you say you were looking to go to Seminary school? Don't know if a future preist should be talking about doing 3-ways. :D
wrong denomination. I'm baptist and happily married.

:p The clean apartment is proof of marriage lol.

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Be careful with that saw Eugene. Looks like a few toes missing already in that one picture. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Rear braces glued. You can see there are 5 braces with around 3 inches between them.

First side braces glued. The second will be cut once the vertical braces are glued.

A view from the side.

The snag was my glue started running really low. I'll need to get some more glue to continue with the vertical braces and the others.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Another phase of bracing done. If I had a miter saw it would be much easier, but I've made due with the circular saw.

Next is sealing seams and adding some extra bracing with the scrap wood.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The interior front baffles are done.

next up is the constraint layer damping application.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
constraint layer damping

constraint layer damping applied to everything but the front baffle.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Only one layer of Peal & Seal? :eek:

Now is the time for the second layer. ;)

Then the third layer. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Only one layer of Peal & Seal? :eek:

Now is the time for the second layer. ;)

Then the third layer. :D
So far :D I can't tell from Chris's pictures how many layers he uses and he's got that injury.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I gotta say I don't know when I'll get this finished at this point. I've gone around about building amps, but I think I want to use a passive crossover for the top point to simplify. 5khz is the crossover point for the tweeter 4th order L-R was the plan. Their will be dual Dayton RS-252 in parallel crossed with the RTI tweeter. My goal here is to simplify this build as much as I can. It's overly complex to setup as is. I may end up selling it or giving it away at some point.

I think only needing 2 amps and 1 crossover for it would make it far more appealing. IOTW having second thoughts.

1. Implementing the port is gonna be a pain.
2. Crossover topology is overly complex
3. I'm satisfied with the current setup I have.

annunaki

annunaki

You will want a minimum of 1/8" peel & seal, but 1/4" works better, and would be all that is necessary.

Make sure to go over the metal backing with some 400 grit sand paper to ensure good adhesion of the second layer.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
IOTW having second thoughts.

1. Implementing the port is gonna be a pain.
2. Crossover topology is overly complex
3. I'm satisfied with the current setup I have.
Maybe you can get one of the mods to ban you until you complete these speakers.
Oh, look who showed up!

You will want a minimum of /8" peel & seal, but 1/4" works better, and would be all that is necessary.
That's like 2 more layers and probably 3. It is work but at least you see what's involved when you suggest that others do this, that, or the other. Nothing is easy or quick.

You might want to glob some construction adhesive on the braces to fill the little spaces. Also you might want to run a bead of adhesive in the corners of the inside of the cabinet to insure that you don't have air leaks. Push the bead in with your finger to press it up against the walls. It would have been easier without the braces.

Can we get some more pictures of your feet ... for Greg? :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe you can get one of the mods to ban you until you complete these speakers.
Oh, look who showed up!

That's like 2 more layers and probably 3. It is work but at least you see what's involved when you suggest that others do this, that, or the other. Nothing is easy or quick.

You might want to glob some construction adhesive on the braces to fill the little spaces. Also you might want to run a bead of adhesive in the corners of the inside of the cabinet to insure that you don't have air leaks. Push the bead in with your finger to press it up against the walls. It would have been easier without the braces.

Can we get some more pictures of your feet ... for Greg? :D
LOL. I already sealed the seams with caulk before I put the braces in.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Nice project mate, can't wait to see the finalized speakers, would even more enjoy to hear :D

Looks like there's no end to the surprises and feedback you get once you visualize your DIY project on AH :p

The first pic, does that show a vacuum cleaner or is it the woofer :p

2 layers of damping, how much is that gonna add in weight to your speakers?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Nice project mate, can't wait to see the finalized speakers, would even more enjoy to hear :D

Looks like there's no end to the surprises and feedback you get once you visualize your DIY project on AH :p

The first pic, does that show a vacuum cleaner or is it the woofer :p

2 layers of damping, how much is that gonna add in weight to your speakers?
I think I will get it done eventually. The problem is always cost I still want to add to more two Dayton midrange dome drivers and will need 5 more channels of amping.

Building it is the fun part, but paying for stuff to make it work at reference level is a pain. Once I complete it I plan to redo my RB kits for surround and center duty.

It looks like I might get a DCX as a christmas gift though. Oh the dreams. Since I'm also talking about doing the BBY payment plan thing to replace my projector once my wife runs the bulb out. Ignore that last post. Greek has had me thinking a little wildly. It took me a year to build the sub after all.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You will want a minimum of 1/8" peel & seal, but 1/4" works better, and would be all that is necessary.

Make sure to go over the metal backing with some 400 grit sand paper to ensure good adhesion of the second layer.
I got that and the acetone. I want to get the front baffle mounted before I do another layer. I still haven't figured out what I want to do with the binding posts, but I suppose that is all in good time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis