gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
What? No Bose on that list at all. ;)

Last edited:
C

Chicagorep

Junior Audioholic
I can't believe the Naim S-600's made that list and I can't believe the Totem Wind Design didn't make that list.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
What an amazing and fortunate coincidence that all 10 Greatest speakers are all current production models, which are available for purchase ......as soon as you finish reading the article.

How interesting no speaker of the last 80 years, that may be out of production........... made the list.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Naim Ovator S-600. Britain's Naim Audio Ltd. is best known for its amplifiers and CD players, but this new speaker breaks a lot of rules and sounds less like a box speaker than anything on the planet. With super-tight bass, uninhibited dynamic punch, superlative midrange tone, and pure treble, the S-600 is a strong contender on a number of fronts. At $10,450 it's priced near the low-end for today's state-of-the-art speakers.

What the he** is "pure Treble"...................:rolleyes: Whatever the Cnet reviewers are "pure tools".....nuff said.

B

blueone

Audiophyte
What an odd list. Here's mine (not necessarily in any order):

1. Revel Ultima Salon2
2. Revel Ultima Studio2
3. Linkwitz Labs Orion+
4. Sound Labs A1 (any variation)
5. KEF 207/2
6. B&W 800D
7. B&W 802D
8. Ariel 20T
9. Magnepan 20.1
10. YG Anat Reference

I've heard all of these, except for the YGs. I've never heard the B&Ws throw a decent 3-D image, but that's less important to some folks, and they do everything else well.

Last edited:
TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
What the he** is "pure Treble"...................:rolleyes:

Treble with no artificial sweetners, no MSG, no Hormones, No Anti-biotics, No Genetical Modification, No Gluten, No Pesticides, No Bleaching process, No Hydronated oils, No Perservatives and No Dairy Products.

It's Organic:D

What, you diodn't know that?;):D

C

Chicagorep

Junior Audioholic
Naim Ovator S-600. Britain's Naim Audio Ltd. is best known for its amplifiers and CD players, but this new speaker breaks a lot of rules and sounds less like a box speaker than anything on the planet. With super-tight bass, uninhibited dynamic punch, superlative midrange tone, and pure treble, the S-600 is a strong contender on a number of fronts. At $10,450 it's priced near the low-end for today's state-of-the-art speakers.

What the he** is "pure Treble"...................:rolleyes: Whatever the Cnet reviewers are "pure tools".....nuff said.
Naim makes great CD players and intergrated amps but their speakers are only so-so. When I heard them I was not impressed.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
This article should generate some lively debate here:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20007800-47.html?tag=rtcol;pop
Mostly junk jewelry, with a few exceptions.
Steve Guttenberg has...worked as a high-end audio salesman....The wordsmith Guttenberg writes for a number of magazines and Web sites, including Home Entertainment, Tone Audio, and Stereophile.
The irony is that Linkwitz and Geddes both offer free treatments/therapy for those with the Audiophile condition, so there's no excuse.
But alas....people love their shiny jewelry.;)

cheers,

AJ

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Rather see a list of top 10 value speakers like Large Advents in 70s and some B & W models in 90s.....more people could identify with such a list because more people owned them.......looking for "57" Chevies here....not Rolls Royce....

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
This is like determining the top 10 greatest songs or paintings or works of art. It's impossible to definitively say "these are the top 10 greatest speakers", the statement alone reeks of arrogance and ignorance all at once. Not to say the author doesn't have a wealth of knowledge and experience in the field, but with something so subjective, I think you're just asking for a good thread/article crapping.

I suppose that's why I'll never refer to myself as an "audiophile"... -TD

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What an odd list. Here's mine (not necessarily in any order):

1. Revel Ultima Salon2
2. Revel Ultima Studio2
3. Linkwitz Labs Orion+
4. Sound Labs A1 (any variation)
5. KEF 207/2
6. B&W 800D
7. B&W 802D
8. Ariel 20T
9. Magnepan 20.1
10. YG Anat Reference

I've heard all of these, except for the YGs. I've never heard the B&Ws throw a decent 3-D image, but that's less important to some folks, and they do everything else well.

I guess the B&Ws cannot throw a decent 3-D image because they have bad off-axis response?:D

Except for the YGs, which speakers are the BEST in your opinion?

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
There are some pretty great speakers on that list - Vandy's and Maggies... I can think of a lot of speakers that I've heard that aren't on that list, but could be. It's interesting to see someone's opinion of their Top-10 current favs.

I'm curious to hear what his top 10s will be from earlier eras, I'll have to check out his "affordable" list that he did...

DukeL

DukeL

Audioholic Intern
I don't know that these are necessarily the "greatest", but here is my list of 10 influential speakers:

1. Klipschorn
2. Acoustic Research AR-1
3. Quad ESL (the original)
4. Allison Model 1
5. BBC spec LS3/5a
6. Ohm F
7. Magnepan Tympani 1
8. Dahlquist DQ-10
9. Wilson Watt/Puppy
10. Gradient Revolution

G

GordonW

Enthusiast
IMHO, there can be no valid list of "top ten greatest speakers", that does not include ANY Tannoy product.

I can say, from personal experience... that the Tannoy Churchill Wideband will lay waste to the Martin Logan, the Wilson WAMM (or any other Wilson, pretty much), and any of the Focal speakers (whether they be Utopia or not). This is from having heard them all in person, on "capable" systems. The Churchills just have the best combination of virtues... natural, neutral response, excellent transient response, astonishingly accurate imaging, capability of digging deep in the bass when called upon, lack of distortion, and they just plain look gorgeous too...

Regards,
Gordon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis