Possible for DLP to have "dead" pixels?

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I know it's not quite the same and it uses little mirrors, but is is possible to have "dead" spots on the screen? I just had an issue today while using my PC to play a game on my Optoma DLP projector, that there were three white dots on the screen that would flicker in the same spot. Then that stopped, and now there are two black dots, both taking up two spaces each, on the display. They are barely there, but there's one that runs horizontally in the very middle of the screen, just below center, that is VERY apparent, especially since they are pure black, and show up over everything, unless it is black. There is also one in the far left that had shown up as well. they seem to be there to stay, and no matter how much I cleaned the lens off, they are still there.

IS this a sign of a failure? Or am I missing some form of vital maintenance? It's still within warranty, but I don't want to send it in if it's a simple fix that means nothing.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Dead mirrors in DLP projectors are not uncommon. Yes it happens, yes it is not rare, yes, check your warranty to see if you have coverage for mirrors (pixels) being out/dead.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Another thing, they have been multiplying like no other. Now there's about 10 or 11 of them on the screen. I'm definitly looking in the warranty to see what's up. I only got this in December of 2009, so it's not even that old.

selden

selden

Audioholic
That's certainly a dying DMD chip. It should be covered by your projector's warranty, although you may need to pay shipping to the repair center.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
... although you may need to pay shipping to the repair center.
ooooo... that's not cool. WE'll see, I'm putting in a warranty file online in a sec and we'll see what they say.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis