Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... when work does pick up I will be well rested and lean enough to be hungrily sopping up the gravy with an unprecedented vigor. :D
See...this is the kinda stuff I'm talking about.
The only person I know that would tie-in a food analogy with going back to work.:D:p
Is anyone besides me worried about him?:D
The title is my age weight and height. I quit smoking just over a year ago and my normally demanding physical work has been way more off than on for about a year and a half now hence the nick name Pork Chop. :eek: :D

... soooooo ... something needs to be done. I had a thread about quitting smoking which was really helpful and a lot of fun so I figured this thread might pan out for me as well. I read The Zone a few years ago and basically understand the concept of a balanced meal. I had a gym membership but didn't go and my knees probably wouldn't appreciate me running on them. Power walking is gay.

I understand that Uncle Ben's Converted Rice is okay. Multi-grain bread if I absolutely must have bread and I have completely forsaken the potato. I do know that I need to elevate my heart rate for I forget how many minutes at a clip. I just tried it ... I think I just invented the 2 minute workout. :D

This thread has an open door policy to other fatties. :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The title is my age weight and height. I quit smoking just over a year ago and my normally demanding physical work has been way more off than on for about a year and a half now hence the nick name Pork Chop. :eek: :D

... soooooo ... something needs to be done. I had a thread about quitting smoking which was really helpful and a lot of fun so I figured this thread might pan out for me as well. I read The Zone a few years ago and basically understand the concept of a balanced meal. I had a gym membership but didn't go and my knees probably wouldn't appreciate me running on them. Power walking is gay.

I understand that Uncle Ben's Converted Rice is okay. Multi-grain bread if I absolutely must have bread and I have completely forsaken the potato. I do know that I need to elevate my heart rate for I forget how many minutes at a clip. I just tried it ... I think I just invented the 2 minute workout. :D

Uncle Ben's? No, no, no. Long grain or brown rice. It's not really harder to cook (it's not "boil for 5 minutes and turn it off") but it is a lot better, nutritionally. White bread is worthless but some are sure tasty but whole grain is much better. Spuds aren't always bad- just not slathered in butter, bacon and cheese and not in large amounts.

20 minutes every day is a good number. Soon, you'll be up to 3 minutes. Good for you!

Matt34

Matt34

Join the Marines, it may take a few waviers but you can just drop out after basic training due to old age.:p

itschris

itschris

Uncle Ben's? No, no, no. Long grain or brown rice. It's not really harder to cook (it's not "boil for 5 minutes and turn it off") but it is a lot better, nutritionally. White bread is worthless but some are sure tasty but whole grain is much better. Spuds aren't always bad- just not slathered in butter, bacon and cheese and not in large amounts.

20 minutes every day is a good number. Soon, you'll be up to 3 minutes. Good for you!

Okay... 5 years ago I weighed 368 on January 3rd. I couldn't put button my pants. I called my office cancelled my week, cleaned my cabinets of junk, went to the health food store, and joined the gym. I lost 109 pounds in 9 months and another 20 over the next 3 or 4. All was well. I was in the best shape since my college days. I'm very muscular anyway and have been a weightlifter on an off all my life. I got down to about 265 but was fairly rock solid. Not long after, I started dating Nancy took a new position at my company and things started going astray. I caught myself and got going again. Then I had my motorcycle wreck and broke and tore both of my shoulders apart. 3 surgeries, bolts and screws, and a lot of down time put me back right back where I started. Over the course of couple years I not so slowly went back to my old ways and got fat again.

Fast foreward to Dec 29. I went to put on my jacket and could zip it. I suddenly had this ephiphany... again. Here I was, about the same time as years before, disgusted with myself weighing in at 361. I didn't wait until the new year to start, or the next day, or after I finish this meal... I started right then. A new SNAP Fitness 24 hour gym opened near my house and I went right over and joined. I've been lifting and doing my cardio. It's been just a month now and I've already lost 19 pounds... actually 23 but I've put on 4 pounds of muscle already based on the body fat testing I had done at the wellness center.

You just gotta do it. "There's no secret, no magic. I announced my intention to lose 50 pounds by my birthday (July 13th) to everyone... even in our roundtable at work. I'm not f-ing around. I have a bad knee from my wreck, but using the eliptical doesn't seem to bother it much nor does the cycle.

It hasn't been long and I already feel like a different person. Just do it.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe the power walking seems gay (nttawwt) but seriously Alex just a simple long walk at a moderate pace will provide excellent cardio and builds stamina as well as clean lungs and a just plain simple good feeling about yourself, just don't skip a day I go every morning I started 15 minutes out and 15 minutes back that covered about 2 miles maybe a little bit less now I go almost 5 miles every morning, takes just a tad over an hour roundtrip and I feel great, I wasn't looking to lose a lot of weight but it did help me drop ten pounds.
Go for a walk in the morning, if you have a pooch take him/her with ya for company, it will do your body good, :)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

I resembled those numbers a few months back....:D. We bought a tread mill and the hardest part for me was getting into the routine....its kind of like quitting smoking you gotta want too! Now I can listen to my tunes or watch tv from the pleasure of my home and I'm burning calories doing so.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Hey buddy,

Do what the skinny people are doing, and eat what they eat.

People on diets don't have a clue; if they did they wouldn't be fat, or dieting.

These two Docs http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/you-diet-basics and two of their books are almost you'll need.
That, and the same willpower you used to quit smoking. I'm still very impressed that you kept that up!

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Join the Marines, it may take a few waviers but you can just drop out after basic training due to old age.:p
And Alex, you might not have to worry about the "Don't ask don't tell" policies anymore.:D

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Portion control.

You can eat almost anything you want if you control the portions. Also, read the labels. Try to limit your intake to 45 carbs a meal and 12 to 20 carbs per snack. 3 meals a day and 3 snacks a day. Split them up so that your meals and snacks are about 2 hours apart.

Here are a couple of good recipes that I have been using since I was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 years ago. (I've lost 30 pounds so far) Maybe a few others will share theirs.

MIKE’S MEATLOAF

In the loaf:

2 pounds of ground sirloin

1 cup of soft bread crumbs

2 Bell peppers (I like the red, &/or yellow & orange. Green is ok too)

1 sweet onion

2 – 3 oz of mushrooms

2 eggs

1 can of tomato sauce

1 can of tomato paste

¼ cup of brown sugar

½ cup of fruit wine (I use Arbor Mist, white zinfandel)

¼ cup of ketchup

1 tablespoon of honey mustard

1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar

3 tablespoons of unsalted butter

1 teaspoon of salt

¼ teaspoon of pepper

1 teaspoon of garlic power (or two cloves of fresh garlic minced or crushed)

2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce

(Optional: ½ cup of shredded cheese)

In the topping:

½ cup of ketchup

¼ cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon of honey mustard

2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar

Pre-heat oven to 350

Line baking pan with tin foil

Warm frying pan

Chop up peppers, onions & mushrooms to desirable sizes

Melt butter in pan

Put in chopped items

Sauté for about 7 minutes (until lightly browned)

Add vinegar

Turn off burner and cover pan with tinfoil. Let it sit.

In a large bowl mix-up meat, crumbs, eggs, tomato sauce & paste, sugar, wine, ketchup, mustard, vinegar, salt & garlic.

Add sautéed items and mix thoroughly

Put in baking pan. Do NOT form a loaf. Leave everything flat like a casserole.

Cover with tin foil.

Bake at 350 for 1 hr & 10 minutes.

Mix topping ingredients in small sauce pan and set on low. Stir occasionally.

When time is up, remove loaf from oven and set to 400 degrees.

Remove tin foil.

Spread topping on loaf.

Put back in for 10-15 minutes.

Remove

Enjoy

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Let's see if I can remember without it in front of me. The seasoning is to taste. I don't measure, I just add & taste.

Mike's Chili....

2 pounds of ground beef

1 pound of ground pork

4 bell peppers (I like red & yellow but green and orange work) sliced and diced.

2 large sweet onions sliced and diced.

1 15 oz can of tomato sauce

1 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes

1 6 oz can of tomato paste

1 bottle of beer (or cup of water)

1 teaspoon of cumin

1/4 cup of chili powder

1/2 teaspoon of cyan pepper

1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1/4 teaspoon of curry powder

1/2 teaspoon of paprika

1 teaspoon of gravy master

2 tablespoons of Worchester sauce

2 tablespoons of garlic powder

1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning.

1/4 cup of brown sugar

1/4 cup of granulated sugar

1 tablespoon of Hershey's cocoa

1 bag of frozen pees (thawed out)

2 red potatoes

1 large can of kidney beans

Chop the potatoes into small cubes about 1/4". Put in microwaveable bowl and heat until soft. (about 3-4 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes)

Chop up the onions and peppers. These I leave bigger. Maybe 1/2 to 1" Put in microwave also. (The onions do not have to be fully cooked but the peppers need to be soft before usage)

Get out the biggest pot you have. Put in enough oil to cover the bottom. Heat at a medium temp. Put in the ground pork & stir. Then add the beef & stir. Once the meat is cooked, add Worchester sauce & gravy master. Then the tomatoes, sauce & paste. Add beer or water. Throw in everything else and heat on low for about an hour. Keep covered and stir every few minutes. Makes about 15 servings.

If it's too thick, add water or beer. If too thin, leave off cover and let it thickin on it's own.

Hope I didn't forget anything

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
As far as bread, yeah, that's a tough one. It was very hard for me to cut out white bread. Pepperidge Farm: Rye & Pump Deli Swirl Bread is what I have found to be the best for me. It's the lowest in carbs that I have found and it has a great taste. You can find it in most stores that sell bread.

Another thing to cut way back on is alcohol. It's filled with carbs.

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
I have personally lost about 30 lbs. over the past 7 months doing the diet and exercise thing. One of the easier things that I did but got huge results was evaluating my portion size. I have changed what I eat a little bit, but for the most part I've been staying away from boxed meals mainly due to ridiculous sodium levels. Portions in the US, especially when you go out to eat, are incredibly ridiculous. Most normal size meals at a restaurant can easily be 3-4 servings of protein, 3-4 servings of white carbs (the less good for you ones) and an astounding amount of sugar. When the wife and I go out now, we split a meal and are both very satisfied at the end of it. A food scale was a great investment for us, especially at the beginning. Measuring everything gave us a way to say "wow, no wonder we are fat" every time we'd divy out portions. I can't remember the website, but there is a list of things that you can do 1 at a time, like 1 per week, to slowly change what and how you eat. Doing it slowly over time definitely helps change habits rather than making quick changes to drop the weight and put it right back on in a month.

Oh, and the personal trainer didn't hurt. The wife and I hired one. Expensive? NO! We spend less on the personal trainer than we were before on eating out. We don't eat out except for special occasions now and we actually made out positively in the end. Something that really helped us make the decision was we sat down and added up how much we spent eating out every month, it was surprising to make it an understatement. Good luck with all the fun. BTW, if your knees bother you, exercise bikes are a great way to elevate the heart rate and make it easy on the joints.

Mike

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
If you have a need to feel drunk you could always spin yourself in a chair for a few minutes. Or maybe a 2x4 to the head might do it.:D
I never really have a need to feel drunk and also I don't think I have been drunk in quite some time. I , unlike some , I can enjoy a couple of tasty beers and not be drunk after the fact. I like to try different imports and micro brews , you my AH friend just made an inaccurate assumption , :p.
Gotta run for a bit off to get a six of Smithwickes , ;)
Now that stuff is heavy..

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
No need to lose weight; just grow a bit until you are at the correct number for your weight. That can seem easier at times than dropping the LBs...

I find that writing down everything I eat is very helpful. caloriecount.com is a pretty good web site to check out to come up with diet plans based on your size and weight loss goals. It is amazing how much food you can eat and still lose weight if you are getting the right balance of carbs, fats and proteins.

The only exercise that I can come back to consistently is the heavy bag. Great cardio workout, and adds some toning for chest, back, shoulders and arms. Nothing like cranking up some Metallica and pounding the bag for a few minutes after a stressful day.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Another thing to cut way back on is alcohol.
Even for breakfast? :D I don't drink ... anymore. ;)
I'll try the recipes. I gotta go get some brown sugar and maybe a couple other things. I guess you can never have enough chili powder and ketchup. :)

Highfigh, with all due respect the guy who wrote The Zone has some amazing credentials ... Nobel prizes, patents and Olympic Gold Medals for a swim team he worked with.

Rick, I read that Dr. Oz stuff and have decided to out you as a closet Oprah watcher. :p

Matt, pound sand. :D

Sawz, I will start walking.

Billy, I'm not going to do the tread mill thing because I live in a condo but I might buy a Toyota to push around after it breaks and I can't afford to fix it. :eek:

itschris, whoa dude! I didn't think it was possible to burn 23lbs of fat in that short a time but so long as the weight is off and you feel good ... God bless ya! My last half way serious bout with work had me at around 240 but that was with cigarettes speeding up my metabolism, promoting the burning of fat for energy and suppressing my appetite. Hey, that's the answer !!! :rolleyes:

mudrummer99, yeah, I'm gonna miss the restaurants. What's not to like about food drowning in salted butter? :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis