TV Technology Innovations at CES 2010

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
New innovations emerge every year at CES, but this year seems especially flush with big news from the major television manufacturers. And the big news isn’t about size. Panasonic did show a whopping 152-inch 4K2K plasma, but it wasn’t the company’s biggest news. After years of “my TV is bigger than your TV†battles on the CES floor, this year’s show was a refreshing change. So in an effort to ease digestion of all this complicated food for thought, we’ve rounded up some of the best new TV innovations from CES 2010. We also throw in some predictions on how these innovations will impact the market.

Discuss "TV Technology Innovations at CES 2010" here. Read the article.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Interesting about Sharp"s "quad pixel" technology which includes a yellow pixel. Actually, they could get rid of the green pixel and create green from the yellow and blue pixels... couldn't they?

Haven't we had RGB all these years because those were the phosphor colors used in CRT technology? RBY are the 3 primary colors.

I can't wait to see one of these new Sharps.

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I followed much of the CES tv technologies and am not bowled over at all. Sharp's quad technology is not much of a much. The big bang over 3D technology is just a gimmick with the current technologies and content.
It seems "streaming" may be the biggest new technology...Boxee Box, Slingbox, etc. are getting bigger and bigger. Add to it wireless signal broadcast and there may be big things going on. But for the average person I think it is a long, long way off. Having to create multiple accounts, pay fees, log in and out, etc. will be very difficult to manage for the "average" person out there.

I am a bit dismayed that plasma technology seems to be getting the bum's rush over LCD technology. While I like some of the current lcd's I still believe that plasma offers the best picture and price out there. I'm glad that some manufacturers are still making them.
I will be most interested to see how the pricing wars between the manufacturers continue. Prices, other than the latest technology releases, are great and anyone thinking about buying a flat screen tv has so many options, sizes and prices to choose from they can hardly go wrong.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
I am a bit dismayed that plasma technology seems to be getting the bum's rush over LCD technology.
Admittedly, I haven't looked closely at a plasma display in any of the stores I have visited recently; have they improved the screen door issue with these? That always bugged me with PDs.

BTW, I don't have a dog in the LCD / plasma debate as I have a DLP RPTV that I'm happy with.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Admittedly, I haven't looked closely at a plasma display in any of the stores I have visited recently; have they improved the screen door issue with these? That always bugged me with PDs.
I've primarily heard of screen door effects with LCD and especially LCD projectors (front and rear). I'm not aware of any plasma (at least over the last few years) having any noticeable screen door effect.

Do you mean seeing the pixel structure of an image (which is different from the screen door effect)? A large screen plasma will have more visible pixels than a smaller LCD, but that has nothing to do with plasma vs. LCD, it's just a matter of pixels/visual angle. This is exacerbated by, until recently, most large-screen plasmas being 720p instead of 1080p.

ADDED: (A search for "plasma" and "screen door effect" primarily confirms what I wrote above, and when people talk about screen door and plasmas, they seem to be talking about some other artifact, and not screen door effect, which is seeing the black space between individual pixels).

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Do you mean seeing the pixel structure of an image (which is different from the screen door effect)?
What I meant was the visible space between pixels. I thought this was what the term "screen door effect " meant. As if you were seeing the image through a screen door. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology here. I've also heard this effect referred to as "fill factor."

Whatever the term that is applied to this effect, it is this effect that was the deal killer for me as far as plasma goes.

I'm headed out to a store that has a lot of plasmas on display. I'll check them out and see what they've done regarding the space between pixels.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Forgive my ignorance I have never heard of this, How large does the display have to be in order to see this effect?

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
What I meant was the visible space between pixels. I thought this was what the term "screen door effect " meant. As if you were seeing the image through a screen door. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology here. I've also heard this effect referred to as "fill factor."

Whatever the term that is applied to this effect, it is this effect that was the deal killer for me as far as plasma goes.

I'm headed out to a store that has a lot of plasmas on display. I'll check them out and see what they've done regarding the space between pixels.
I have heard of this but have never seen it on any plasmas I have looked at so maybe it is just not really happening to the new panels, on another note I read this article that tells of Pioneer technology being used in the new Panasonic displays, pretty interesting stuff here:http://whathifi.com/News/CES-2010-UPDATED-Panasonic-goes-big-on-3D-plasma-LED-lit-LCDs-and-fast-load-Blu-ray/

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
What I meant was the visible space between pixels. I thought this was what the term "screen door effect " meant.
Yes, that's what it means, but I've never been aware of it being a particular problem of plasmas. I haven't seen it in a plasma although I have seen it in some projector displays.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, that's what it means, but I've never been aware of it being a particular problem of plasmas. No plasma I've seen in the last few years showed it, although I have seen it in some projector displays.
I agree with your post as I have not seen and or heard anyone speak about this issue for quite some time especially with plasmas, for that matter never with any plasma and only once with an LCD.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Okay... 6L6X4 reporting back from my plasma reconnaissance patrol. :D

Plasmas have come a long way since I last looked at them closely with regards to the screen door effect. Even the 42" 720p plasmas are improved in this regards although I could still see some screen door effect at close, but normal viewing distances. This wouldn't bother most people at all and at 8 to 10 feet away wouldn't bother me either. I may be more sensitive to this than most people because I could walk down the isle and instantly pick out the plasmas by the slight screen door effect they had, but again, this was at closer than normal viewing distance.

One of the stores had a 50" Sammy plasma right next to a 50" Sammy LCD; both 1080p. The lighting was all wrong for a good demonstration, but based on this faulty demo I would have chosen the LCD. Someone else may have preferred the more sedate picture the plasma was displaying and it did look quite good. Also, I didn't check the picture settings on either display and that alone may account for my preference of the LCD in this instance.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Forgive my ignorance I have never heard of this, How large does the display have to be in order to see this effect?
It's less a matter of how large the display is than how close the viewing position is from it. Too close shows off all kinds of things that are best not seen but outside of about 10', it's not much of a problem.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
It's less a matter of how large the display is than how close the viewing position is from it. Too close shows off all kinds of things that are best not seen but outside of about 10', it's not much of a problem.
I have a 46" 1080p LCD TV and I sit about 5' to 6'. And I have never seen anything weird at least not that I have noticed, but then again I don't know what to look for either.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis