Pioneer VSX-9130TXH-K vs VSX-21TXH vs Pioneer 1019

B

brennanutt

Audiophyte
Hi,
i have pretty much narrowed it down to 4 receivers.
what the difference between the -Pioneer VSX-9130TXH-K- $629 (amazon) and -Pioneer Elite vsx 21- is $540 or $500 for Canadian version (Pioneer VSX-9040TXH 7-Channel 110 Watts A/V Receiver - Black)

The Pioneer VSX-9130TXH-K seems to be a 2008 version. I like the power increase though. Just wondering if it is missing anything.

Which one would you guys buy for sound and features?
Also thinking of the pioneer 1019. $470 or the 919 $360.
Thinking maybe i should get the 919 for $360 if it is not much different from the above.

Thanks,

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
Check out my review of the Pioneer Elite vsx 21

Check out my review of the VSX-21. If you are wanting any video precessing then choose the VSX-21. The VSX-9130TXH-K is only a HDMI repeater as well so i believe that it will not take any analog sources and send them to your monitor via HDMI

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=666684#post666684

I don't have any experience with other receivers but I would recommend the VSX 21. I have heard that the power supply and amplification circuits of the vsx 21 receiver is better than the latest model of the highest non-elite receiver (I believe the 1019) so if you do not have any external power amps then i would choose an elite version of the pioneer over the lower models (1019, 919)

I would also check out the professional review of the VSX 23 which is pretty much the same receiver but it does not have a third zone, HDMI in the front or the 5 channel clock sync to other pioneer components. This review goes into what was added for the latest model
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/pioneer-electronics-vsx-23txh

Last edited:
B

brennanutt

Audiophyte
(The VSX-9130TXH-K is only a HDMI repeater as well so i believe that it will not take any analog sources and send them to your monitor via HDMI.)

Wont an hd tv or blu ray player do this?

I am basically looking for the best receiver under $600. I thought pioneer was a pretty good choice based on reviews. But if anyone else has any recommendations on receivers and why i would appreciate it.

Thanks for the reply Jon5783

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
Wont an hd tv or blu ray player do this?
The hdtv will and the blu-ray player doesn't need up converting. If you do not have any components that are composite or component video then an HDMI pass through is fine.. But if you do, and want the receiver to select the source than you may have trouble.. I would also check if the reciever will decode digital audio that is sent to it via HDMI. If not then you will need another digital connection for the audio to be played on your receiver since the receiver is only a switch.

One thing to note about the elite receivers bought off-line is that they are not from authorized pioneer elite dealers.. This is why they are much cheaper because pioneer does not provide a warranty. I bought mine off line and couldn't be happier.

B

brennanutt

Audiophyte
infinity entra, infinity alpha center, advent bookshelves, mirage 12 in sub

B

brennanutt

Audiophyte
went ahead and ordered the pioneer elite vsx 21. $ 490 shipped.

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
Congrats on the purchase

Good choice. I don't think you could have done any better for the price :D

B

brennanutt

Audiophyte
ok so i got the vsx 21 today, but i cannot get my ps3 working when plugged into receiver.

please help!

thanks, brennan

S

seawallkid

Audiophyte
Pioneer Vsx-21

Could you send me a PM and let me know where you got that price? I am looking to buy one next week. Thanks, Rich

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
ok so i got the vsx 21 today, but i cannot get my ps3 working when plugged into receiver.

please help!

thanks, brennan
I've got a PS3 running through the VSX-23, which is basically the next step up on the rung from the VSX-21 - similar in many ways, and mine worked fine as soon as I fired it all up. What exactly is the issue, can you be more specific? Are you not getting anything at all? What HDMI input are you using on the receiver? Is your PS3 correctly set to output over HDMI?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis