itschris

itschris

Has anyone actually got their UMC-1 yet? The site says it's shipping. I have a friend looking for a pre/pro and even though I'm personally not a fan, I do think it would be an excellent choice for him.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was wondering that myself.

I would be interested in the higher end Emotiva PrePro model. I heard it has something like 10 HMDI inputs. I gotta see that for myself.:D

itschris

itschris

I would be interested in the higher end Emotiva PrePro model. I heard it has something like 10 HMDI inputs. I gotta see that for myself.:D
Well this one is 2 years past it's orginal release date and I'm still not sure if it really is out yet our not. I don't even want to wonder when the higher end model will actually ship. I guess we'll see.

I'm also wondering now with HDMI 1.4 supposedly on it's way, if we'll have to struggle with manfacturers varying deployment of the protocol. Then, it also begs the question, do you even buy now already knowing what you're going to get will be obsolete. That's a reality with everything we buy, but when you know it's coming, are you better off waiting and worse, how long do you have to wait beyond the initial release to get products that do it well.

itschris

itschris

I'm gonna hijack my own thread here... btw... do you ever miss your analog setup with the preamps? That was such a hot setup... combining true old school purity and still having all the most up to date features available.

Don't get me wrong... the Denon stuff is fantastic but it's completely 180 from where you were.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well this one is 2 years past it's orginal release date and I'm still not sure if it really is out yet our not. I don't even want to wonder when the higher end model will actually ship. I guess we'll see.

I'm also wondering now with HDMI 1.4 supposedly on it's way, if we'll have to struggle with manfacturers varying deployment of the protocol. Then, it also begs the question, do you even buy now already knowing what you're going to get will be obsolete. That's a reality with everything we buy, but when you know it's coming, are you better off waiting and worse, how long do you have to wait beyond the initial release to get products that do it well.
My understanding is that HDMI 1.4 increases the potential video resolution from 2K (1080p) to 4K.

I just don't see the practical advantage of HDMI v1.4 or anything beyond until 4K-Resolution (10 million pixels instead of 2 million pixels) is a practical reality.

Right now the only 4K projector available that I know of is the Meridian projector, and I believe it costs like $200,000.:eek:

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Yeah. I've been meaning to ask this Acudeftechguy...........
The thread of acudguy's on the HTPC side is wack. Man, that is cutting edge- he's ripping, burning, uploading, downloading, Windows 7 and all that jazz...........
Who are you and what the f%#k have you done with acudeftechguy!!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Sorry to get back on topic Chris.;)

Preorders have been shipped and people are getting them. Here is the link to the Emotiva forum. The thread is up to 28 pages so I'm linking it where people are making comments that have the unit. Comments look positive so far.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm gonna hijack my own thread here... btw... do you ever miss your analog setup with the preamps? That was such a hot setup... combining true old school purity and still having all the most up to date features available.

Don't get me wrong... the Denon stuff is fantastic but it's completely 180 from where you were.
Yeah, I still think about it from time to time.:D

There are times when I still fancy getting 3 Bryston Class-A Analog Integrated Amps (total $11,685) and thinking, "Hey, they do have a 20-yr warranty which equals only $584 per year!":D:D

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BYB100SST

But I think those good old days are over.:)

itschris

itschris

Yeah, I still think about it from time to time.:D

There are times when I still fancy getting 3 Bryston Class-A Analog Integrated Amps (total $11,685) and thinking, "Hey, they do have a 20-yr warranty which equals only $584 per year!":D:D

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BYB100SST

But I think those good old days are over.:)
And after our long convesation awhile back, I was seriously thinking about trying to take it another step by having seperate amps and pre-amps. I'd love to something like that with some Jeff Rowland monoblocks and associated pre-amps. It's completely and totally impractical... (maybe... probably) but it would be pure as the driven snow. Some day maybe.

itschris

itschris

Preorders have been shipped and people are getting them. Here is the link to the Emotiva forum. The thread is up to 28 pages so I'm linking it where people are making comments that have the unit. Comments look positive so far.
That's good to know. I'll check out the thread. I try hard not to let my personal sourness cloud things. I know they have some good products for the money... and then some. I think I'll forward the info on to my neighbor and get him going on his setup.

Thanks again.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah. I've been meaning to ask this Acudeftechguy...........
The thread of acudguy's on the HTPC side is wack. Man, that is cutting edge- he's ripping, burning, uploading, downloading, Windows 7 and all that jazz...........
Who are you and what the f%#k have you done with acudeftechguy!!
I'm just going with the flow, buddy.:D

Until 2009, I didn't even know what HTPC stood for!:D

I had never even installed an Operating System before.

I had never even touched a RAM or HDD or CPU or any internal PC parts.

Then I went from 20+ analog cables & 100% analog to 100% digital + 6 HDMI inputs + 2 HDMI outputs.

Then I actually BUILT a HTPC from SCRATCH!:eek:

Got a Case + power supply + motherboard + CPU + RAM + HDDs + 2 LG BD drives + chasis Fans + CPU cooler and put all that together 100% by myself!

First time ever in my life!

Then played with Sound cards and now the new Radeon 5750 graphics/sound combo card.

I have 2 brothers who are electrical engineers and have played with computers all their lives. I didn't even own a PC until 10 yrs ago. And neither one of them have done what I have done this year in terms of PC!:eek:

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
Your enthusiasm is toxic, and is making me want to spend money on building another computer which is BAD for my desire/fund for new SPEAKERS....

Will the Upper Level Emotiva Pre-Pro have balanced connections?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And after our long convesation awhile back, I was seriously thinking about trying to take it another step by having seperate amps and pre-amps. I'd love to something like that with some Jeff Rowland monoblocks and associated pre-amps. It's completely and totally impractical... (maybe... probably) but it would be pure as the driven snow. Some day maybe.
Yeah, and they would look awesome...and unique.

"Uniqueness" was a major influence in what I was doing.

I went to bed one night and thought to myself:

"I bet no one has ever used 3 Class-A Acurus Analog Preamps + Analog Acurus Amps for both 2Ch Pure Direct Music and 5.1Ch Pure Direct Surround Sound!"

I googled for many days and never came across such ideas. So I had to do it.

I think TLS Guy is to blame. He scared the heck out of me by saying that those Acurus Amps would destroy my speakers!:eek:

Then the evolution to just 3 integrated analog amps. And then to plain boring digital.:D

But Analog still creeps into my mind now and thing....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Your enthusiasm is toxic, and is making me want to spend money on building another computer which is BAD for my desire/fund for new SPEAKERS....

Will the Upper Level Emotiva Pre-Pro have balanced connections?
Of course!:D

According to the specs on the Emotiva website (a long, long time ago:D), I recall balanced connectors, 10 HDMI inputs, 3 HDMI outputs, and flagship everything but the kitchen sink!:D

I even recall that it would even convert HDMI digital video to Component Analog video, which my Denon 5308 cannot do. Don't ask. There was a time when this was important to me, but that was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far way.:D

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
In order to use HDMI, you need to license the technology from Intel. That license includes not converting high-definition to analog (I believe).

I looked at the emotive preamp, as I'm in the market. I was disappointed with the lack of balanced outs (except the subwoofer), and surprised that id doesn't include video.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic

I think you are mistaken about anyone having the UMC in their possession. I also think there are better choices available than the UMC-1. Check the features the UMC gives you vs even some AVRs that cost less such as the Onkyo SR707.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I'm afraid the link provided here was for the USP-1, not the UMC-1. I would love for this unit to come out, but I don't think anyone has received it yet. There have been a ton of people on this forum waiting for it and I'm sure someone would have chimed in. I'm on the list waiting for one too.

I also would love for Outlaw to release their unit, but am still waiting. I've almost broken down a few times and purchased one of the Onkyo 886's... Anyone have any experience with the Onkyo Pre-Pro.. I really would like video up conversion from HDMI sources that aren't 1080p, like my streaming Netflix service from the PS3, plus HD Audio with Blu-Ray....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis