7.1 vs 7.2 - Does this matter to any of you guys?

G

GSXR_Rider

Enthusiast
I am setting up a 2nd music/ht system in my home. My other av system has a Yamaha rx-v665 (7.2) as basically a pre-amp (my mains and dual subs are run off two EP2500s)....

As I am looking around for a receiver to purchase for my second system I am open to other receivers besides the Yamaha line. My new receiver will be operated in a similar fashion as the rx-v665 because the new system will be using twin ep4000s to run the mains and subs so pre-outs are a must. I have found some great prices on both Marantz and Onkyo receivers (from access 4 less) but I notice as a trend across most manufacturers that 7.1 is the standard in most low to high end receivers offered. I guess I liked the fact that my current Yamaha had dual LFE outputs for a L&R sub....with that being said I don't know if that is really a big enough of a reason to just go ahead and purchase another rx-v665?

Any thoughts on 7.1 vs 7.2? Is the simple solution just to run an adapter cable out of the LFE pre-out on a 7.1 receiver which splits the signal into two LFE outputs? Is 7.2 just a marketing ploy or are there real advantages to it?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Nah. Me personally, I don't even care if I /have/ a sub out since I use a separate DSP.

If you like the features of the other amps better other than the l and r sub outs, then you can always run an external crossover and have stereo bass that way. Just make sure the preamp allows you to run your L and R full range while having the rest low passed at 80Hz or where ever you need it. So, separate crossover settings are essential

I run stereo subwoofers, but, really since the wavelengths are so long down low they might as well be summed mono.

G

GSXR_Rider

Enthusiast
Yes you are probably right - I was considering a DCX2496 anyway to manage eq and xover duties and that would make the 7.1 vs 7.2 a non-issue. That is probably what I will do and it will open up a lot more options for receivers - thanks

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I would think that it would matter more for music than it would for HT. I'm in the process of converting my music system to 2.2 from 2.1 (basically just adding a another sub) because of localization issues.

DJ

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I would think that it would matter more for music than it would for HT. I'm in the process of converting my music system to 2.2 from 2.1 (basically just adding a another sub) because of localization issues.

DJ
Having sub 80Hz localization issues is because of room or enclosure distortions. 2 subwoofers has advantages because of how much easier it is to smooth the response of the room through placement, but if the subwoofers are good and any room issues are taken care of, they should be basically mono even if run stereo because the wavelength of the bass is so long you can't tell where it is coming from in a comparatively small room.

If your looking to run stereo subwoofers, I'd highly recommend the Dynaudio BM subwoofers. A pair of 10s would be a great match with your mains. :D

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I think that for Multichannel Home Theater, 7.2 or 9.2 or 9.3 is getting overloaded.

Low frequencies are fine being Mono. And you can have a 7.1 or 9.1-channel
surround system with two, three or more subwoofers, right?

* The main thing is to balance them equally, so they woof in unisson, without cancellation or emphasis.
And using a digital EQ for more than one sub is recommended for best results:
like an SVS AS-EQ1 Sub EQ for two subwoofers.

** Stereo subs for music, perhaps.

Last edited:
S

swspiers

Audioholic
For most people, there will be little difference or benefit between 7.1 and 7.2.

For me, the .2 is pretty important. I intend to run stereo subs. Splitting the .1 to two subs is not the same as running stereo. In my experience, the difference is mostly noticeable on orchestral, live jazz and acoustic music recordings. It's a nit-picky, hair-splitting preference to be sure, as it is a debatable point concerning sound quality, taking into account that bass is generally not localized from the source.

J

jamie2112

Banned
It does not matter to me 7.1 7.2 5.1 whatever it is I usally listen to music only and that I do in 2.1

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Smoke'em if you got'em :D.

If one has the extra weight in the wallet, why not. Whether it will actually improve the sound to a point making it justified, is completely dependent on the room and manner of use.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis