Transcriptor Transcriber turntable

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
I was cleaning out the basement, came accross an old classic turntable. Made in Ireland, mid-70's by Transcriptor. It is pretty unique, the platter is driven under the tone arm, which is suspended from the cover. all glass, chrome and aluminum. (Seems like I can't post a pic or link to a pic I found on a google search, not enough posts.)

Is this something I should hold on to, is there a market for it? It is is perfect shape, still functoinal when I boxed it up. I beleive the original Transcriptor's were featured in Clockwork Orange. Guess I'm showing my age!!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Does it look like this? If so, that's a beautiful turntable!

Are you looking to sell it?

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
Yep, that's the one. You're right, it is beautiful, the machining and workmanship is 1st class. Perhpas I am thinking of selling as I really don' t have anyway to set it up. It's been in the original shipping box, for a good 15 years or so.

That picture does not even do it justice. The bottom surface is all machined aluminum, with a very attractive swirl pattern. I have never seen a turntable that comes even close to the way this looks, other than some of the other Transcriptor models. It is truly a unique item.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps you could put it on display somewhere in your house? That's a great piece of art and engineering, IMO - I'm sure that it would spark conversation if you like to entertain at your house.

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, it always did have the "WOW" factor when I was actually using it. I'll have to think about what I am going to do with it, see if I can find somewhere to set it up or decide to sell it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I can't remember if it's five or 10 posts, but you might be able to put up a picture of your turntable now. I'd sure appreciate it, as I'd like to see it. Thanks.

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
I think it was 5, I'll see if I can pull it out later today and post some pics.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I think it was 5, I'll see if I can pull it out later today and post some pics.
If it has been sitting for that long, you probably don't need the money, so I would keep it and display it. That's nice.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think many folks have ever seen one, so here are some links to a few pics:
Very nice. Thanks for the pictures! I hope that you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of putting the images directly in here for people to see.

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
Don't mind at all, when I saw the limit on the size of the .jpg attachments allowed, I though it better to post links to a larger pic. glad you posted them.

It is a bit dusty, but when I pulled it out, checked the operations and the platter moves just fine. The interesting thing about this is the tone arm is only a couple inches long, very low mass as you can see. In the pics there is rubber band around it to keep it steady for storage/moving. The tone arm is suspended from the top, when it lowers the stylus sits on the record. As it plays, it is meant to always be perpendicular to the grove in the record. When the groove moves it out of perpendicular, as the record plays, there is a small arm that uncovers a photocell and the platter drive motor is engaged. It moves the platter so the arm covers the photocell, stops the motor and kepps the stylus always perpendicular in the record groove.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is a very valuable item. Keep it with great care and preserve it. I saw one come up on eBay once. I don't remember the price it fetched, but I do know it was north of $3000.

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
Wow, I had no idea that it was worth that much. It is kept in it's shipping box, on a very secure shelf. I may take it out every now and then and just dust it off. Then again, with that value, I could realy do some updating of my system. :)

T

Transcriptors

Audiophyte
Transcriptors Transcriber

Hi All,

My late father designed three different versions of these. The first was an all glass case, the second had the aluminium base finished off with the white facia and the final one had the aluminium plinth with brushed circles an idea he got from the the footplates of the old Bugatti's motor cars. The managing director of the Reliant motor car company had two off my father but had 25mm thick slate bases.

Yes the hydraulic reference was used in the late Stanley Kubrick's 1971 classic A Clockwork Orange. When dad had the factory at 2 Theobald Street, Borehamwood (now the home of J A Michell), Stanley with his art director asked dad if he could borrow one for the film, dad gladly lent it him but never saw it again!!

Regards

Michael Gammon (Son)
Transcriptors

Last edited:
G

gib

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for some of the history, I was hoping you would post something here after I sent you the link. I'm glad I did some additional digging after posting here to find that you were still supporting the product and keeping the Transcirptor product line somewhat viable.

T

Transcriptors

Audiophyte
Transcriptors

Hi

Thanks for the link and i will help all i can if anybody needs any help. Just to let everybody know that we have three new turntables out and also supply and support all the original models that my late father designed and produced

Michael

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thats a beatiful piece of work. I'm so curious to hear what ity sounds like.

gleneagles

Audiophyte
Transcriptor

Hi Gib,

Have you still got that Transciptor turn-table? If so I am quite interested in buying it of you. I live in the UK so posting it would not be a problem I guess.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Oliver

P

Paolobola

Audiophyte
transcriptor

I beg your pardon to disturb you anbout your turntable Do you still own it or have you sold it out.?
Best Paoo

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
Wow, I have not been here for quite a while, my PC crashed and lost many of my bookmarks.

I do still have the Transcriptor, would entertain a discussion for sale. After I took the pictures last year, I put it back in it's box and it has been there ever since.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis