Which amps to hook up with a Bose acoustimass 10 system?

A

Albon

Audiophyte
Hi guys. Which amp should I buy for this type of system? I'm looking at the Denon AVR-790, the Pioneer VSX-1019 or the Yamaha HTR6250B right now. Do u have a best pick in these 3 or any other suggestions? Thanks! =)

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Hi guys. Which amp should I buy for this type of system? I'm looking at the Denon AVR-790, the Pioneer VSX-1019 or the Yamaha HTR6250B right now. Do u have a best pick in these 3 or any other suggestions? Thanks! =)
I hear Fisher Price makes some decent amps.... :D

Sorry couldnt resist.

Yikes, you're about to get slammed for asking about Bose.. just a heads up. Their stuff doesn't play well with others and leaves a little to be desired in the world of non-marketed audio.

Have you already purchased the acoustimass system?

A

Albon

Audiophyte
No I dont. I'm just about to. I pay 900$cnd instead of 1200$. U guys dont think this system worth it? I pay 1400$CND with the Denon 790 or the Pioneer VSX-1019..

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Sell the Bose setup and start over.

Bose isn't what it's cracked up to be.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
No I dont. I'm just about to. I pay 900$cnd instead of 1200$. U guys dont think this system worth it? I pay 1400$CND with the Denon 790 or the Pioneer VSX-1019..
hell no

Don't buy anything right now until we help you get your head straightened out.

1. Bose stinks this fact is universal in every audio forum on the internet.
2. Cables should be cheap.(this one gets a lot of folks) Monoprice.com is the best source for cables. Blue Jeans Cable is the next best.
3. Speakers are the most important part of a system they make the sound.
4. Receivers should ideally be 20% of your budget but certainly no more than 40%. Also never buy a receiver for it's power rating. Buy from a reputable brand. Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, HK, Marantz are all reputable brands. Sony isn't for receivers.
5. Starting simple and adding on net's a better setup than getting everything at once.

If you want a small speaker setup then look for a KEF 2001 set. Pair them with an Onkyo 606 and you're set with a nice setup.

If you want a great sounding setup and don't care about speaker size. Then let's talk.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Not to gratiously knock bose, but...

...any $200 - $300 entry level receiver you can buy will provide you with enough power to allow those speakers to deliver all they are capable of, and then some. Anything more than that is throwing good money after bad.

Unless you're absolutely in love with their styling, then I would strongly suggest you let the group here help you. You can get a LOT better bang for the buck with not much sacrifice in size.

But hey, it's your money.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
What do u mean Isiberian?
Bose systems have very little bass and very poor response. They cost way too much and are cheaply made. As a speaker builder I can tell you that my recession buster kit speakers have more cost in them than a bose speaker. Physics can't be defeated. Good speaker design is a science not an art.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Any other speaker designer/builder would be happy to join me in condemning these speakers.

Trust me here friend. Bose= Better Off Somewhere Elses

A

Albon

Audiophyte
Let's talk. I don't have a LOT of room but I don't really care about the size of the speakers. It's a big room (living room, dining room and kitchen in the same area). I have room on each side of my couch and about 15" on each side of my 56" DLP Samsung. But I could use this space for the subwoofers and the amp. My budget is arround 1500-2000$ tax in CND. I'm gonna use this setup mostly for blurays and XBOX 360/PS3. Would be nice if the setup sound great with music also.

Thanks guys for you time I appreciate!

Phil

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
you score 1000 points for asking before you bought !! :D

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Albon, I agree Bose makes shytty speakers (but are great at advertising and convincing hoity toity uber snobs that they are the best) Seriosuly there "bass module" can only get down to 55Hz (which any decent bookshelf speaker can accomplish without a sub) the frequency response range of the sats and the bass module lack a lot of the frequency range.

I have an old copy of "Sound and Vision" April 1999 (page 52-53 where they review the Bose Acoustimass 15 system the bass module only could muster 46Hz - 202 Hz and the speakers 280Hz - 13.3kHz (most speakers can easily acheive 100hz - 20kHz, but what this article does show is that on a typical 20Hz-20Khz scale you are missing 20Hz-45Hz then 203-279hz and 13.4-20kHz. I don't know about you but if I'm spending 2,000 on speakers they better achieve the full frequency response.

Here's a great qoute from the article. The figure given in the table is for the worst case result, which was for the front left/right satallites. Their response fell off rapidly below 300Hz and a 3-db peak appeared between 2 and 4 kHz, plus a 13-kHz treble peak and a related notch.

Which is saying that this speaker failed miserably in the frequency range that most people are prone to hear. Hence the term, no highs no lows must be Bose.

For 2,000 I would seriously look at the 7.1 SVS system which has an incredible sub and speakers that would easily beat out the Bose and fit within your space constraints.

majorloser

majorloser

It might just be me, but I smell something....

Last edited by a moderator:
R

romantic

Junior Audioholic
If you haven't bought it yet, you are lucky and it's time for you to start looking for a real system. If you did, dont panic. It's not the end of the world; however, you have to consider whether you want to keep it or not. You can keep using it for a while until you can get a new system. Any entry level receiver will be fine. Or you can cut lost now and get the better sound system.

PS. I used Acoustimass before I went to the audio store and listen to the real sound system. You can try this as well before making any decision.

Hope this help

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
So if I understand, you've got your sources (PS3 etc) and your display already.

Simple enough: find out what speakers interest you in about 80% of your budget. Make note of the required wattage (likely in the 100W range). Go find the least expensive receiver with every feature you need (HDMI 1.3a switching? HD-Radio? Whatever your requirements are) and enough wattage to drive y our speakers... but make sure it's a reputable receiver (Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, etc). Just search Audioholics for a review of the unit or a related unit.

Once you've picked the receiver to power the range of speakers you are likely to use: start auditioning ones in your remaining budget.

If you end up finding something you love with an unusual wattage requirement (most planar speakers come to mind) remember that it will drive up your amp costs.

Have fun. Audioholics is full of threads and articles on "best speakers" in a given price; and there are a lot in that $1k-$1.7k range you are spending.

PS. There's an entire sticky on Bose on this forum. You might want to read the first page.

A

Albon

Audiophyte
Thanks a lot for ur anwser guys. Very helpful. Now that my choice stopped on the AVR-790 or the VX-1019, I have to find some decent speaker/sub. If you guys have any suggestion or link on this forum I would appreciate!

And yes I have my sources (Display, 360, PS3...). I just need the sound! ;)

Thanks again!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis