Yamaha's new direction

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it just me that I'm feeling that Yamaha is beginning to scrimp on their amplifiers/power supplies in their new line of receivers? Its the general feeling I'm getting.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
It isn't just you. I think AH wrote an article about it recently. I wouldn't touch a Yamaha today as it doesn't offer the most bang-for-buck anymore. The new Pioneer, Sony, and even Onkyo receivers are following suit.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Is it just me that I'm feeling that Yamaha is beginning to scrimp on their amplifiers/power supplies in their new line of receivers? Its the general feeling I'm getting.
I think that manufactures are going back to the way it was in the late 90s. With all the new "features" that are implemented, the lower and mid avrs are having the the meat cut out(audioholics article eludes to this) In 1999 my rxv999 had a masisve amp section for a 1000 avr, but the lower lines didnt relative to their cost. To offer 7chs of beefy power, and include the new features, isnt going to be cost effective for a 599, 699, 799 avr. The 1000-2500 dollar avrs will provide both imo.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, the newer Yamaha receivers have skimped on amp sections on their mid level models as have other manufacturers such as Pioneer.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The new Denons look attractive at their price points like the 1610 and 1910. Their amp sections are still good and they offer some very good features. I think the 1910 now uses Anchor Bay for video which is nice. I always thought of Denon as Onkyo done right for a higher price, but no contest when the cost is the same. My only complaints regarding Denon is I find them ugly and their GUI sucks. Setup can be a real pain, but how often does one need to do it.

The HK x54 is a good series that was plagued with bugs up until the most recent firmware updates. The amp section is solid, GUI is awesome, and the unit looks good. The Marantz xx03 series is also very good.

The only receivers I'm considering going forward are Denon, Marantz, and HK. The rest no longer hold my interest.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The RX-V663/863 was the last good mid-level reciever from Yamaha. Glad I didn't wait for the current models before I bought one. I love my RX-V1800 and RX-V663.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Are they going towards the class D amps in there?

cjsiv

cjsiv

Junior Audioholic
I'm having serious flashbacks of kenwood in the mid to late 90's. My brother had kenwood separates and a receiver in the 80's/early 90's. Both built solid with plenty of oomph. I bought one in the late 90's and oh my was I dissappointed. I guess I should have known when they started becoming available at every corner discount store. Bought a yammy 663 last year. Just bought a denon 1910 and there is no comparison.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Last edited:
K

kriktsemaj99

Audioholic Intern
Yes, the newer Yamaha receivers have skimped on amp sections on their mid level models as have other manufacturers such as Pioneer.
At least Yamaha include pre-outs at a good price point (the 665 and up) so you can add a power amp if you need to. Denon, for example, reserve pre-outs for the much higher priced models.

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
I agree i think the only AVR that still holds true are the Marantz they seem to be built better than all the others. And if i had to get another AVR that would be my brand.
Kirk

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
However, they will make excellent preamps (RX-V 665 and 765), the new Yammy receivers that is, which is what I'm looking at to replace my VSX-1015TX. The RX-V765 looks quite good as a preamp.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Isn't this something that Yamaha has done in the past as well. It's like they expect people to use their AVR's as pre-pros and add external amps. I seem to remember them going through this phase a decade or so ago.
Their AVR's would make very nice pre-pros at a reasonable price though. Where else can you get all the latest tech for so little in a pre-pro?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
From my understanding and doing a product comparison at the Yamaha site the 765 is the older 663. It has some added features and same power output specs. It weighs a couple lbs less but it looks to be essentially the same receiver. I have also seen these online for about 550 to 600.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
The new Yamaha's have me a bit upset. But It's not unlike their move from the RX-V659 to the 661 which was a downgrade.
The 663 was a light of hope, only to be dashed by the cheapening (really cheap) of this year's models.

I certainly haven't given up on Yamaha. IMO, the litmus test will be when they release the replacement for the RX-V1900/3900.

But if they continue the path they're on my 1800 will be the last Yamaha receiver I buy.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
IMO whatever direction they change to it does not seem to apply to their higher end models. For the lower end models may be they figure for $600 they should just focus on features in order to get the biggest bang for the buck. Reality is, as long as they give you the preouts you can always add something like a cheap multichannel Emo amp and you will be well ahead of those who pay $1,500 for a RX-V3900 power wise.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Reality is, as long as they give you the preouts you can always add something like a cheap multichannel Emo amp and you will be well ahead of those who pay $1,500 for a RX-V3900 power wise.
I agree with you, but IMO Emo's stuff is inexpenisve, not necessarily cheap. The XPA-5 is a fine amplifier.:)

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
IMO whatever direction they change to it does not seem to apply to their higher end models. For the lower end models may be they figure for $600 they should just focus on features in order to get the biggest bang for the buck. Reality is, as long as they give you the preouts you can always add something like a cheap multichannel Emo amp and you will be well ahead of those who pay $1,500 for a RX-V3900 power wise.
I guess maybe that's the point though. Granted the Yamaha's offer pre-outs a full level down from Denon and Onkyo, but the people who buy those mid/lower level receivers aren't even considering, or of the understanding for, external amplification.

From an "it's all about me" perspective; I don't see fully utilizing a receiver's amp section ever again. But the thing that bothers me is the question of what else are they cutting corners on?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
faceplate material quality is down.

if the amp section is all they are hopefully scrimping on. i wish they would just go ahead and release a "pre-pro" version that's a lot cheaper with absolutely NO amp section.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with you, but IMO Emo's stuff is inexpenisve, not necessarily cheap. The XPA-5 is a fine amplifier.:)
I also agree with you. Cheap is not the right word. I did mean affordable, inexpensive etc.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis