Integra vs Onkyo - What's the difference?

M

math wizard

Audioholic Intern
I've been looking at Integra and Onkyo receivers. Are they the same with just a diff. look and name so that they can be sold through diff. sales channels (similar to what Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, etc... does)? The Integra 7.9 and the Onkyo 805/875 look strangley similar spec. wise. Could someone comment?

A

allargon

Audioholic General
In the US Integra is only sold through integrators AFAIK. Onkyo has mass market sales channels. I read that one can buy Integra in stores in Japan just like we purchase Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha here. Allegedly Integra uses higher end parts than Onkyo similar to GMC *cough* supposedly using higher end parts than Chevy.

Ironically, I've found grey market pricing on certain Integra pre-pro's to be cheaper than the equivalent Onkyo.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I doubt if anyone's really set two comparable models together and compared them with covers off, to see if one uses 10% or 1% tolerance components; and put them through their paces using test equipment.

So, I'd go to the Integra site and pose it to the FAQ's.

They are similar, though not the same.
The Integra's warrantee is longer than Onkyo. For some, that may be reason enough to get the Integra.

As for Integra dealers, I have six dealers, ranging from 10 to 25 miles from my house.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sometimes the features vary a little. For instance the DTR-7.9 has networking capability, the Onkyo TX-SR806 does not. The DTR-8.9 is the comparitive model the TX-SR876 and the DTR-9.9 is the sister to the TX-NR906.

Additional note: All Integra home theater receivers now offer networking capability, even the lowest model DTR-4.9 (similar to the Onkyo TX-SR576 which also does not offer network capability). The Integra DTR-4.9 also has a few more input/output connections but strangely only supports 5.1 (the TX-SR576 does 7.1 and also has a zone 2 powered output). Perhaps Onkyo decided that the Integra line should dedicate it's power supply to a max of 5 channels on a lower model. Other features include detachable power cords throughout the entire line.

Last edited:
M

mtrudy

Audiophyte
onkyo vs integra

imho integra is a step up. like toyota and lexus. i have the dtr-4.6 and replaced an onkyo receiver with it. the specs are better, the internal components are bigger and more importantly it sounds fuller through my klipsch reference series. also the flexibility allotted by the entry level model is much better then my onkyo, it has separate volume for room "b" which is my lanai speakers and more x-over and cut of points for fine tuning and an on screen set up. very satisfied.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I've been looking at Integra and Onkyo receivers. Are they the same with just a diff. look and name so that they can be sold through diff. sales channels (similar to what Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, etc... does)? The Integra 7.9 and the Onkyo 805/875 look strangley similar spec. wise. Could someone comment?
They are exactly the same, same parts, same everything. Only the looks differs a bit. Onkyo is a better deal, cost less and get much better discount.
The very small feature differences are absolutely nothing to fret about.
And according to my sources, they use the exact same parts from the same provenance, for what it's worth.

The Integras are sold only through bricks & mortars stores from authorized dealers only with a premium price for longer warranty, but that's it, the clock stops here.

Integra DTR-7.9 is exactly the same as Onkyo TX-SR806.
DTR-8.9 = TX-SR876.
DTR-9.9 = TX-NR906.
DTR-6.9 = TX-SR706.
DTR-5.9 = TX-SR606.
DTR-4.9 = TX-SR506.

The Onkyo 805 vs the 875 difference is mainly the HQV Reon video processor in the 875.
The 805 is the same as the Integra DTR-7.8.
And the 875 does not have an equivalent Integra model.
The next Integra, the DTR-8.8 is the equivalent of the Onkyo TX-NR905.

If you want to know about the small differences between the Onkyo and Integra models, just download their manuals.

If you want to see the difference in feature/spec between the Onkyo TX-NR906, TX-SR876 and TX-SR806, just click here --> http://www.faqware.com/Receivers/Onkyo_receiver_comparison_2008.html

LOTR

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
They are exactly the same, same parts, same everything. Only the looks differs a bit. Onkyo is a better deal, cost less and get much better discount.
The very small feature differences are absolutely nothing to fret about.
And according to my sources, they use the exact same parts from the same provenance, for what it's worth.

The Integras are sold only through bricks & mortars stores from authorized dealers only with a premium price for longer warranty, but that's it, the clock stops here.

Integra DTR-7.9 is exactly the same as Onkyo TX-SR806.
DTR-8.9 = TX-SR876.
DTR-9.9 = TX-NR906.
DTR-6.9 = TX-SR706.
DTR-5.9 = TX-SR606.
DTR-4.9 = TX-SR506.

The Onkyo 805 vs the 875 difference is mainly the HQV Reon video processor in the 875.
The 805 is the same as the Integra DTR-7.8.
And the 875 does not have an equivalent Integra model.
The next Integra, the DTR-8.8 is the equivalent of the Onkyo TX-NR905.

If you want to know about the small differences between the Onkyo and Integra models, just download their manuals.

If you want to see the difference in feature/spec between the Onkyo TX-NR906, TX-SR876 and TX-SR806, just click here --> http://www.faqware.com/Receivers/Onkyo_receiver_comparison_2008.html

LOTR
There are differences between the models, look two posts up. Definitely not "exactly the same".;)

Onkyo/Integra has also stated that they only use parts that test to a certain spec in their Integra line. If a diode, capacitor, resistor, etc.. doesn't test at what they view as being in spec they put it in the Onkyo line. This isn't to say that Onkyo uses poor quality parts. In fact I believe it's likely that they simply don't test parts other than for operation for the Onkyo line, certainly many parts that would have been approved for the Integra line get used in the Onkyos for the mere fact that they manufacture many more Onkyos than they do Integras.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Power supplies are also 20% larger across the board along with more CI features, different DAC's, and a longer warranty.

This comes from one of my dealers in San Francisco. He also stated that the Onkyo's are quite good and most people would not hear much of a difference between the two. Especially in HT. He feels the Integra line does music better than the Onkyo's.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
There are differences between the models, look two posts up. Definitely not "exactly the same".;)

Onkyo/Integra has also stated that they only use parts that test to a certain spec in their Integra line. If a diode, capacitor, resistor, etc.. doesn't test at what they view as being in spec they put it in the Onkyo line. This isn't to say that Onkyo uses poor quality parts. In fact I believe it's likely that they simply don't test parts other than for operation for the Onkyo line, certainly many parts that would have been approved for the Integra line get used in the Onkyos for the mere fact that they manufacture many more Onkyos than they do Integras.
For your information they use the exact same parts. What they say on the Integra site is pure pizzaz.

And the differences, I know them; more bands for the graphic EQ, more x-overs, gold plated jacks, etc., I know all about it.

What I'm putting the empasis on, is you'd be better off with the Onkyos for a much greater savings overall. And I personally like the looks better on the Onkyos. Example, I'll go with the Onkyo PR-SC886P over the Integra DHC-9.9.
Or the Onkyo TX-NR906 over the Integra DTR-9.9.
Not only I save a bunch of money, I'll get the same good freakin' performance and a better looking component too. And two years warranty, good enough for me. If I want more, I can purchase it for cheap anyway.

LOTR

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Some like it hot, some like it cold...

Power supplies are also 20% larger across the board along with more CI features, different DAC's, and a longer warranty.

This comes from one of my dealers in San Francisco. He also stated that the Onkyo's are quite good and most people would not hear much of a difference between the two. Especially in HT. He feels the Integra line does music better than the Onkyo's.
This is pure bull ****. They used the exact same transformers and power supplies, the exact same Dacs, and the extended warranty for one more year is the dealer profit. The CI thing is the dealer profit too, so you pay him extra to come over your place to install it. ;)

Integra does music better than Onkyo! Another total bull ****. "He feels"... Of course he feels, what do you expects... Does he knows for a fact, NO, he does not, because there is NO difference. ;)

Do I know, YES, I know.
How do I know? Because I open them and I talk to pros about them.
Would you like to find out more about all the bull **** from all the manufacturers and the flaws of their products and the false, twisted informations on their products? :eek:

Hmm... Better not start this here... ;)

The important thing, is you pick the receiver with the flaws that you can live with. :)

Better off with the positive aspects than the negative ones. :)

So, don't ask me more about the downside in our world, I'd rather not think too much about it. :(
But here, I felt obliged to correct some misinformation that were provided to you. ;)

Cheers, :):)

Bob

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Forum politics, learn them.;)

Do you have any proof that denies they use only parts tested to a certain caliber? It's pretty bold to say a company is plain flat out lying without any evidence to support your claim. I am not saying you are wrong, just that you need to prove you are right. Onkyo may very well be lying, but I don't now it for a fact.

I agree also that the Onkyo line looks better, and offers a better value.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Do you have any proof that denies they use only parts tested to a certain caliber? It's pretty bold to say a company is plain flat out lying without any evidence to support your claim. I am not saying you are wrong, just that you need to prove you are right. Onkyo may very well be lying, but I don't now it for a fact.

It's probably true. With what I know of this hobby and companies in it. It isn't surprising.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned

Not Onkyo, Integra. Integra is a kind of gimmick. Integra is a very nice product, but you pay for the dealer exclusivity, which is for people that don't know better.

I don't have concrete proof, no, but I believe 100% the people that told me so. They are very reliable sources.

And like I said before, I'm not really into talking any further about this, only to make a correction about people beliefs.

Now, just believe the ones that sounds best to you. ;)
It's all about the sound quality of the "speakers" after all, which one you believe sounds best.

You don't have to take my word for it, but it's coming from very reliable sources, lets just put it this way.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Not Onkyo, Integra. Integra is a kind of gimmick. Integra is a very nice product, but you pay for the dealer exclusivity, which is for people that don't know better.

I don't have concrete proof, no, but I believe 100% the people that told me so. They are very reliable sources.

And like I said before, I'm not really into talking any further about this, only to make a correction about people beliefs.

Now, just believe the ones that sounds best to you. ;)
It's all about the sound quality of the "speakers" after all, which one you believe sounds best.

You don't have to take my word for it, but it's coming from very reliable sources, lets just put it this way.
Your mom doesn't qualify as a reliable source still. :p:eek::D

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
^ Hey, that's OK.

My sources are from a guy that lives close to Onkyo headquarters.

I met him at AVS.

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Residential proximity doesn't imply knowledge. :)

Seth made a very good point about part screening, IMO.
I didn't say it does. But according to him and from what he learn, it does... ;)

I did not say that Seth didn't make a good point. I read all about Integra specs and features, and their part selection.
Do I have to believe or Seth or Integra?... ;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just to make sure that we're on the same page, part selection and part screening are different. You can use the same part number in two different products, but you might screen that part (e.g. for performance parameters or performance over temperature) to a higher level for one of the products.

You can't just look at a part to know if it's been screened to a higher level. So, taking two units apart and looking at them won't let you know if one uses parts that have been screened to a different level.

You can generally (if not always) tell in the part number if one product uses commercial-grade parts versus industrial-grade parts (typically related to temperature ranges), but not if a company has done additional screening after they get the parts in-house.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
^ I think that Onkyo will be better off putting their time into Customer Service. ;)
Integra as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis