Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I should have asked this sooner because I'm suppose to meet this guy in an hour that wants $50 for one. My question is whether or not this is worth owning at all. I guess to me if it's 75% as good as an SL-1200MKII then I'm in.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I should have asked this sooner because I'm suppose to meet this guy in an hour that wants $50 for one. My question is whether or not this is worth owning at all. I guess to me if it's 75% as good as an SL-1200MKII then I'm in.
A record player? Are we going vintage Alex?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
A record player? Are we going vintage Alex?
Just a back up for my 8 track. Do a search on that 1200 and WmAx. You'll see. I'm running out of time and I may have to go into these high dollar negotiations dumb as a sack of hammers.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I got it for $20. It has a weird auto arm built into the lid. :confused:
I could use some help finding a manual and either a stereo rec'r or a phono pre-amp.

Here's the deal. I want to set up a second system for stereo. So far I have:

* Technics SL-QL15
* Denon DVD 910
* JBL MPC 200 (re-tagged QSC CX4 supposedly)
* the use of Zone 2 from an H/K Avr 430
* Dayton BR-1 speakers
* An old Sharp 27" w/ curved screen (call me Adam Jr. :D)
* two JBL GTx 10 drivers that probably work alright but need DIY boxes
(I have all kinds of plans, pun intended)

I'm almost there and this is kind of a general a/v situation so bright ideas are welcome and if there's anybody out there wanting to sell off some of their old stuff to help me get this thing cooking, now's the time to step forward. :)

Oh yeah, I don't have any records either. :eek:
Walter D___(?) is selling some album for 1 million dollars but that kind of steep. :D

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
It has a weird auto arm built into the lid. :confused:
:D

When I was a kid those were called "Close and Play" (I think it was Fisher Price that sold them) :D

If I recall correctly, that is a Linear tracking turntable:confused:. Not sure on that. The best I had was a Kenwood belt drive, I still have, but it's been in mothballs for several yaers now.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It's a 'Direct Drive Automatic Turntable System'.

A friend of mine has like 1200 albums and they aren't pristine by any stretch. I figure that if I can tap that resource for $20, why not. I'd like to set up this system in the room I am in now and listen to a different album every day for the next 3 years or so even if it kills me. No matter how hard I try I can not bump Oprah or General Hospital with music.

With movies, yes ... but with music, no.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
http://www.vintagetechnics.stereomanuals.com/turntables/slql15.htm

Direct drive refers to how the turntable is connected to the motor. In your case there is no belt to wear out or slip, making it, as memory serves, superior to the belt drive POS I had.

I always had reservations about the wear and tear a linear tracking unit had on albums. But that does look to be a pretty good find for $20. Enjoy.

I do sometimes miss some of my old albums, but those are dead and gone.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats on the turntable, Alex.

My turntable (Realistic LAB-1500) is a Linear tracking type. I use it very rarely but keep it connected to the main system because I can and because it is the first piece of audio equipment I ever bought with my own money some 24 years ago. (I hooked it up to a boom box.:D)

I just felt like being part of the conversation.:)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nomo,

Am I suppose to be able to download a manual from there? I admit that I didn't look very hard but the manual sure didn't jump out at me. We need Adam. He would find it, read it and spoon feed it to me.

Doug,

Why is your turntable in the yard? :D
Mine looks like it's on the same idea. I think I need an album to make it spin though. When I close the lid and hit play the needle moves over like it's looking for the record. Don't worry, I had a piece of paper slid in there to catch the needle in case it dropped toward a spinning table. I really don't know how this works.

Maybe it's broke! :eek:

ADAM !!!:):D

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry,
I came up empty on the manual search.
If I recall correctly those linear TTs had a laser or LED to find the edge of the record.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Doug,

Why is your turntable in the yard? :D
Don't you know anything about photography, Man!;):D (Internet photo)

Mine looks like it's on the same idea. I think I need an album to make it spin though. When I close the lid and hit play the needle moves over like it's looking for the record. Don't worry, I had a piece of paper slid in there to catch the needle in case it dropped toward a spinning table. I really don't know how this works.

Maybe it's broke! :eek:
Mine has sensors that tell it if there is a 33-1/3 or 45 on the table and if there isn't it won't work. It also doesn't work it the lid is up. (sound like a woman)

Is there any indicator lights to show it's powered up?

Get off your butt and spend a dollar at the thrift store and you could be jammin' some Engelbert Humperdinck by now baby!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is there any indicator lights to show it's powered up?
[/IMG]
Yep, she lights up and the arm moves around. :)

I want Santa Esmeralda, Roger Whittaker(sp?) and Curved Air with the Metamorphosis track.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Yep, she lights up and the arm moves around. :)

I want Santa Esmeralda, Roger Whittaker(sp?) and Curved Air with the Metamorphosis track.
Good sound like you need an album and your off to the old folks home...I mean races. Yea that's it...:)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... sounds like you need an album and your off ...
Not quite, I need a phono pre-amp or a rec'r with a phono stage. Post #4 talks about where this system is at. All relationships take work Doug. Even on-line bromances. :)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Not quite, I need a phono pre-amp or a rec'r with a phono stage. Post #4 talks about where this system is at. All relationships take work Doug. Even on-line bromances. :)
It's never gonna work between us then Alex...I'm too lazy. Just ask my wife.;):)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not familar with the SL-QL15. However, Technics made only a few tables built anything like the SL-1200MKII and above. The majority of units were very cheaply built plastic chassis, cheap arm, budget units.

-Chris

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I would PM one of the turntable guys...The amount of snake oil that comes along with turntables can be pretty substantial. I'm not saying anything you listed is snake oil. I'm just saying I don't know and beware.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis