Technical Pro Da-b3000 3,000 Watt Class "d"

H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
TECHNICAL PRO DA-B3000 3,000 WATT CLASS "D"

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to find technical information or reviews on this amplifier.
I can't find a single review, tech manual or anything.
Have you guys had any experience with it?

And if you have experience with either, how does it compare with the Beringer EP2500?

I'm looking to purchase 1 for the mids/highs and 2 for the bass.

If the bass sound quality of the B3000 is good, I could even put two of them on the bass and let the Berhinger take care of the highpass @~125HZ. I do like the higher efficiency of class D if it doesn't compromise the bass sound quality in any significant way.

Any combination of amps will do.

Thank you.
Tony

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I haven't been able to find anything much, either. I've probably come across the same info that you have, but here's a link to an eBay sale that has more info than others that I've seen. I'm suprised that the item in not on the manufacturer's website, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
If you need high efficiency, and guaranteed perfect sound quality, the Yamaha pro amps have the same efficiency as class D, but actually use class AB output stages with a very advanced power supply that infinitely varies the rail voltage to what is needed at any given moment to prevent excess heat generation. The P2500s, P3500s, P5000s and P7000s are the units using this technology. In addition, they don't have any fan noise to deal with in home use.

-Chris

H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
Some more info.

Here's ..another site[/URL] with some technical info on that amp, and it links to this .
Thank you! That was help full. I will probably call them directly on Monday.

H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
If you need high efficiency, and guaranteed perfect sound quality, the Yamaha pro amps have the same efficiency as class D, but actually use class AB output stages with a very advanced power supply that infinitely varies the rail voltage to what is needed at any given moment to prevent excess heat generation. The P2500s, P3500s, P5000s and P7000s are the units using this technology. In addition, they don't have any fan noise to deal with in home use.

-Chris
Interesting. The amp designers just keep coming up with new ways of doing electronics.

Thoes look like serious amps. I like how all the tech specs are given in detail on the Yamaha website.

I wish I could but unfortunately I won't be able to go with those due to budget constraints. I have to build a whole new audio system from scratch. ... This stuff can get expensive real fast.

BTW, do any of you have experience with the Beringer EP2500? Good, bad, outdated?

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I have emailed Tech pro a few times for hard specs on their amps and they never answer.:confused: I wouldn't buy from them without them being willing to give out that info. If you don't care to much about quality then go ahead and buy from them but remmember you get what you pay for, and sometimes less.:(

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting. The amp designers just keep coming up with new ways of doing electronics.

Thoes look like serious amps. I like how all the tech specs are given in detail on the Yamaha website.

I wish I could but unfortunately I won't be able to go with those due to budget constraints. I have to build a whole new audio system from scratch. ... This stuff can get expensive real fast.

BTW, do any of you have experience with the Beringer EP2500? Good, bad, outdated?
I have an Ep2500. It is a superb amplifier, IMO. Just change out the stock fan with the recommended Matsushita one in order to have silent operation in a regular room.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
They are not expensive when compared to home audio amps - and they are better than most home audio amps. I use several of the Yamahas in my main 2 channel system.

As an alternative, the Crown XLS amps are good, but like most pro amps, the fan is a bit noisy. You can get the Crown amps for a low price often during sales or special rebate promotions. I use some of the Crown XLS amps along with an EP2500 in my ultra linear monitor audio system.

-Chris

H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
I have emailed Tech pro a few times for hard specs on their amps and they never answer.:confused: I wouldn't buy from them without them being willing to give out that info. If you don't care to much about quality then go ahead and buy from them but remmember you get what you pay for, and sometimes less.:(
And there is no way I'm buying anything from them if they won't communicate with customers.
I'll know if they are out of the qualification Monday.
Thanks.:)

H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
They are not expensive when compared to home audio amps - and they are better than most home audio amps. I use several of the Yamahas in my main 2 channel system.

As an alternative, the Crown XLS amps are good, but like most pro amps, the fan is a bit noisy. You can get the Crown amps for a low price often during sales or special rebate promotions. I use some of the Crown XLS amps along with an EP2500 in my ultra linear monitor audio system.

-Chris
Of Yamaha, Crown XLS and Beringer what are their relative strengths and weaknesses.

Beringer EP2500 gets points for having responsive customer tech service, a low price @ $270 each and having tons of positive reviews all over the internet.

Crown gets points for being so well known and being widely accepted in the pro audio industry. (unlike the technical pro amplifiers:confused:)

Yamaha... I know them for sure but not quite as much in the pro audio context. OTOH I certainly take your word on their quality and technology. If it has high efficiency like a class D amp that's really good too. Efficiency is an issue for me because I am limited to two 120V 15 amp recepticals. Each on a separate phase. They can be combined to make 240 V if its of any advantage.

Many years ago in my college days, I experienced the drawbacks of weak 15A recepticals connected to multiple high power QSC amplifiers.

When the music was cranked up high the house lights would dim every time the bass kicked... and the bass would get sloppy.

In that particular situation I had an electrician run a second phase 15A line to split the power load and it helped clean up the sound quality tremendously. This is where I experienced the relationship between supply power, amplifier efficiency and sound quality. Hence my interest in high efficiency. At very high power levels, higher efficiency can result in higher fidelity. High Fidelity at high SPL is the goal.

I don't just like to hear the HiFi music, I like to bathe in it.:p

15 years later... now that I am building a completely new system, the fun of researching, designing and building a high power stereo system is back on.:)

I don't have any first hand experience with any of the Yamaha, Beringer or Crown amps for their SQ in High pass or low pass applications so I have to go by advice and reviews.

Does one excel more than another in any particular frequency range? I can mix and match or go with all the same.

This system will be used in the backyard as part of a HT system by the pool. Its gonna be a good Summer.:D

Thank you!
Tony

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Does one excel more than another in any particular frequency range? I can mix and match or go with all the same.
Not really, except for price bracket. The EP2500 wins for LF due to it's high output power vs. it's very low price. But any of the amps I recommend will produce transparent amplification. The Ep2500 also is the most capable amp for driving the widest ranges of loads. It can drive down to 2 Ohms comfortably, where as the Crown and Yamaha are only intended for 4 Ohm loads. However, the Yamahas will be the most efficient amplifiers in the group due to their sophisticated power supply design. The Crown XLS is standard Class AB and the Behringer is a hybrid Class H design(somewhat more efficient than Class AB; it uses Class AB output stage and dual voltage power supply rail that switches from low to high based on the needed output power, where as the Yamaha uses a sophisticated PS that infinitely varies the rail voltage for the load in real time to minimize heat dissipation/maximize efficiency).

This system will be used in the backyard as part of a HT system by the pool. Its gonna be a good Summer.:D
If this is the case, I would just get multiple EP2500 amplifiers since fan noise is not an issue - you don't even have to change out the fans to silent units. Of course, I am assuming you have sufficient supply lines to power multiple EP2500 ampliiers.

-Chris

Last edited:
H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
Thank you for the feedback. It makes the amplifier decision easy.
3 Beringer EP2500's it is.:D

BTW should I be using any power conditioners or line voltage stabilizers on this setup? (I don't know if they would be of any benefit and they seem to have mixed reviews.)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for the feedback. It makes the amplifier decision easy.
3 Beringer EP2500's it is.:D

BTW should I be using any power conditioners or line voltage stabilizers on this setup? (I don't know if they would be of any benefit and they seem to have mixed reviews.)
The only one I would be willing to personally try is the Furman PST-8 and other Furman units with similar protection technology. I base this on the fact that a local security installation company reports to me that these are the only units they have used that have actually protected their systems in cases of lightening strike. All other conditioners/surge protectors they have tried failed to protect client security systems after lightening strike surges.

-Chris

S

scooterp7

Audioholic Intern
You don't need an Art Cleanbox that another poster mentioned, as the DCX has a clean input pre that will boost the signal accordingly. You may need an ART DTI box if you end up with a ground loop between the DCX and receiver, however. The DTI is a passive interface box that has ground isolation by way of a transformer. It also converts the unbalanced receiver signal to a true balanced line. So ideally, you would use a really short(like 12" or shorter) RCA patch cable from the receiver to the DTI input side, then a standard XLR patch cable from the DTI output to DCX input. Each DTI has two channels, so you would need two DTI boxes if you also route the center channel to the DCX.

-Chris
This is from another thread, (http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50079&highlight=xlr+rca+dcx2496&page=5) sorry. But could you elaborate on the condition of the ground loop and how it occurs? Is this something I will know is occurring? Could this condition be realized in this setup: Pio AVR into DCX2496 into EP2500?

Last edited:
T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
If you go to www.live.com and sign up and search the amplifier you can get an extra 10% off on ebay. There is one vendor selling them for $298 with free shipping so you get $90 back into your paypal account. If you buy 3.

H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
If you go to www.live.com and sign up and search the amplifier you can get an extra 10% off on ebay. There is one vendor selling them for $298 with free shipping so you get $90 back into your paypal account. If you buy 3.
Thanks for the lead. I'll probably do just that.;)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I recommend using zzounds.com, as they have incredible customer service. They have provided me with the best service of any mail order retailer when problems like defective items have occurred. Use zzounds.com's spywatch pricematch link on their EP2500 page and use this SOURCE as your place to get the price match. Zzounds will usually beat it by like 10 dollars, including shipping. So, expect about $280 shipped each from zzounds.com using the above link to price match.

-Chris

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
I have a question on these pro amps.

What is the essential difference between these amps from Beh, Crown, Yamaha and all when compared to an XPA-2 or a Rotel or other Home audio amps?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis