Obama bows to Saudi king?!?!?!?

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Thought I'd beat Buckeye Nut to it on this one. :rolleyes:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=93696

Gimme a break. Some people have nothing better to do than ***** about stupid ****.

Actually, what Obama did was bend down to kiss the King's hand, as is custom in the Arab world. Personally, I don't see a problem with it. Why shouldn't the President greet world leaders in the manner that are accustomed to? Who decreed that the President bows to no one? Perhaps it is this kind of arrogant, self-centered thinking, (i.e. Bush), that brought the world to the sorry state that it is in now. From what I've read, Obama's action was very well received in the Arab world. I think the President should greet dignitaries however is considered respectful in their world. Just as I think the President should be greeted in the manner that we think is respectful.

I bow every time I enter or leave the dojo and every time I enter or leave the mat when I go to Kenjutsu class. That's just the way it's done. I know in Eskrima, they salute instead of bowing, because they believe that you only bow to God. That's fine, that's their preogerative.

annunaki

annunaki

Thought I'd beat Buckeye Nut to it on this one. :rolleyes:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=93696

Gimme a break. Some people have nothing better to do than ***** about stupid ****.

Actually, what Obama did was bend down to kiss the King's hand, as is custom in the Arab world. Personally, I don't see a problem with it. Why shouldn't the President greet world leaders in the manner that are accustomed to? Who decreed that the President bows to no one? Perhaps it is this kind of arrogant, self-centered thinking, (i.e. Bush), that brought the world to the sorry state that it is in now. From what I've read, Obama's action was very well received in the Arab world. I think the President should greet dignitaries however is considered respectful in their world. Just as I think the President should be greeted in the manner that we think is respectful.

I bow every time I enter or leave the dojo and every time I enter or leave the mat when I go to Kenjutsu class. That's just the way it's done. I know in Eskrima, they salute instead of bowing, because they believe that you only bow to God. That's fine, that's their preogerative.
Enough with the Bush bashing already. It is fact that all of the world's/country's problems are not his fault.

What is the Bush bashing crowd going to do in a few years when our currency begins to slowly tumble and inflation rises due to all the spending & lack of fiscal responsibility? They surely cannot blame republicans any longer??

No, I am not a Bush supporter.

I see no issue in following/respecting local customs, but showing an act of submissiveness by a leader regardless of who they are is frowned upon.

Kissing another leader's hand without them doing the same is an act of submission, not respect.

Mutual respect is important in foriegn relations and I agree with you for the most part on that. Bowing to a sensei is an act of respect, and he in turn respects you by bowing.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
It's my custom that anyone who takes over our country should send me $50,000. :D So far, no check.:mad:

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Barack Obama's White House says the president Did Not bow to the Saudi King when they met.
The boot licking media dismissing this as simply “he dropped something”, and refusing to report on it.

Wall Street Journal link: http://obama.wsj.com/article/08zp7Rf2le86I?q=Bill+Clinton
Whom ever Obama's protocol advisor is, they should be fired.

Arab News Reports:
Nothing but recycled Bush speak
Aijaz Zaka Syed |

"Let’s face it: The so-called new plan is nothing but Bush’s old wine in Obama’s new bottle. So much for the “Change We Can”! Looks like the pundits who mocked our boundless adulation for Obama and celebration of “change in Washington” were right after all. They were right when they insisted that whoever is in charge in Washington, the US foreign policy seldom changes. This is unfortunate considering the great expectations and hopes the new president’s talk of exploring a “new way forward” had spawned across the Muslim world. I hate to spoil the party so early in the day but it seems this administration has become a prisoner of the overarching, disastrous legacy of its predecessor."

itschris

itschris

There's actually protocal that's in place that discourages acts of submissiveness. But like most things, he shows his inexperience. And I swear to God, if he apologizes for American one more time on foreign soil, I don't know what I'm going to do.

The United States is the greatest, most giving nation on earth and I'm sick and tired of people in our own country and abroad flippantly and dismissively speaking out how evil we are. I don't ever remember any other country fighting for airspace to drop food and medical supplies around the world when disaster strikes.

You have sandbox of animals who stone women, let young girls burn to death for going to school, mutilate and drag bodies through the streets while cheering, and cut innocent peoples' heads off while hiding their identity in cowardice... but yeah... the US and Bush are the most evil things in this world.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
There's actually protocal that's in place that discourages acts of submissiveness.
So who's job is it to go around to all of the world's leaders and explain to them that, "the reason I'm not bowing to you, or kissing your hand, or whatever, is because it's an act of submissiveness. I hope you understand."?? Who decides which leader is dominant in any given situation?

I agree that the U.S. is the best country in the world, and our President should feel like he's "King ****" wherever he goes, but right now, we need all the help we can get. The President needs to be cultivating relationships, not alienating leaders by asserting his dominance in negotiations.

itschris

itschris

So who's job is it to go around to all of the world's leaders and explain to them that, "the reason I'm not bowing to you, or kissing your hand, or whatever, is because it's an act of submissiveness. I hope you understand."?? Who decides which leader is dominant in any given situation?

I agree that the U.S. is the best country in the world, and our President should feel like he's "King ****" wherever he goes, but right now, we need all the help we can get. The President needs to be cultivating relationships, not alienating leaders by asserting his dominance in negotiations.

I thought it was put pretty well here:
The Washington Times called the bow a "shocking display of fealty to a foreign potentate", which runs contrary to a long-held American tradition of not deferring to royalty.

The Times continued:

"By bending over to show greater respect to Islam, the US president belittled the power and independence of the United States. Such an act is a traditional obeisance befitting a king's subjects, not his peer. There is no precedent for U.S. presidents bowing to Saudi or any other royals."

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
There's actually protocal that's in place that discourages acts of submissiveness. But like most things, he shows his inexperience. And I swear to God, if he apologizes for American one more time on foreign soil, I don't know what I'm going to do.

The United States is the greatest, most giving nation on earth and I'm sick and tired of people in our own country and abroad flippantly and dismissively speaking out how evil we are. I don't ever remember any other country fighting for airspace to drop food and medical supplies around the world when disaster strikes.

You have sandbox of animals who stone women, let young girls burn to death for going to school, mutilate and drag bodies through the streets while cheering, and cut innocent peoples' heads off while hiding their identity in cowardice... but yeah... the US and Bush are the most evil things in this world.
Tell that to Pelosi and the rest of the Democrats. Especially Keith Olbermann

highfigh

highfigh

I thought it was put pretty well here:
The Washington Times called the bow a "shocking display of fealty to a foreign potentate", which runs contrary to a long-held American tradition of not deferring to royalty.

The Times continued:

"By bending over to show greater respect to Islam, the US president belittled the power and independence of the United States. Such an act is a traditional obeisance befitting a king's subjects, not his peer. There is no precedent for U.S. presidents bowing to Saudi or any other royals."
That's apparently part of the "Change we can believe in" that he's bringing. We acted so superior, for so long, that we need to be humble for a while and he's going to be the first to change the US into the World Doormat. If he has his way, I bet they'll be selling them at WalMart. 24"x36" with a map of the US. Wipe your feet all over it.

And everyone from "The Other Side" says Bush was clueless. At least he knew how to act in social settings and not bow & scrape to royalty.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
And everyone from "The Other Side" says Bush was clueless. At least he knew how to act in social settings and not bow & scrape to royalty.
Yeah, bush's arrogance went over real well with the rest of the world didn't it? Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You guys are sometimes so lost.:D

This stuff doesn't matter. Policies matter not kisses and stupid stuff like that.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
This is just what happens when you send a boy to do a mans job.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The day that Buckeye Nut stops with the idiotic Obama-bashing, I'll stop Bush-bashing. Let's see if that happens.
It's not very logical or productive to respond in such a way to another person's views.

highfigh

highfigh

Leaders of countries do not bow to people unless they're higher up the food chain. That said, I think everyone in government should bow to the citizens of that country because they work for those citizens.

The protocol has been set for a couple of hundred years and just because he wants to change everything, there's no reason he should be able to just because he thinks we need to suck up to anyone. While it's true that relationships need to be mended, heads of state represent their country and by bowing, it signals subservience, which was a mistake. If anything, heads of state might want to think of each other as equals, based on that stature but not necessarily in World standing but when was the last time you saw this happen?

It's politics- someone is ALWAYS going to make it clear that they're superior.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis