How good are Pyle Pro and Technical Pro Amplifiers?

R

roberco

Audioholic Intern
Has anyone ever bought any Pyle Pro or Technical Pro amplifiers? If so, how good are they? I'm looking for an amp for home-used karaoke and I find that there are plenty of Pyle Pro and Technical Pro amplifiers that are less than $200. By home-used I mean the amplifier will be seldomly used at home for parties only. I'm on a tight budget so that I can't afford to pay more than $200 bucks for an amp.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Has anyone ever bought any Pyle Pro or Technical Pro amplifiers? If so, how good are they? I'm looking for an amp for home-used karaoke and I find that there are plenty of Pyle Pro and Technical Pro amplifiers that are less than $200. By home-used I mean the amplifier will be seldomly used at home for parties only. I'm on a tight budget so that I can't afford to pay more than $200 bucks for an amp.
A Behringer A500 may work.

It's a very nice amplifier.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHA500 200 for new.

http://www.audiolines.com/product.php?productid=12906

150 for b-stock.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
I would do a Behringer also (They're named pyle for a reason;) )

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Pyle is bottom of the barrel in the pro audio world. No respected engineer is likely to recommend them. Behringer is highly recommended for those on a tight budget such as yours. Technical pro has a very sketchy appearance to it, they are much less reputable even next to Pyle (at least Pyle is a name with some years behind it). If a company had enough money to pay for the Pyle name (certainly they've switched hands over the years) then they have must have something to answer to, Technical Pro sounds like a gimmicky name and I have seen their listings of crap on Ebay and to be perfectly honest it looks like the white van product of the DJ/Pro audio world. IMO, Technical Pro is something you could just avoid all together and never have to find out the hard way how bad it may be.;)

Go with Behringer.:D

R

roberco

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys for helping me out. I have a pair of no-brandname PA speakers and am planning to use the for karaoke. Each speaker is rated at 250W and max @ 500W. The speakers require an amp that can pump out at least 200W of power. So the Behringer A500 won't be enough. I'm choosing between the Behringer EP1500 and the Cerwin Vega CV900. Which one of these would you recommend? How good are Cerwin Vega amps?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks guys for helping me out. I have a pair of no-brandname PA speakers and am planning to use the for karaoke. Each speaker is rated at 250W and max @ 500W. The speakers require an amp that can pump out at least 200W of power. So the Behringer A500 won't be enough. I'm choosing between the Behringer EP1500 and the Cerwin Vega CV900. Which one of these would you recommend? How good are Cerwin Vega amps?
Cerwin Vega won't offer the same bang for buck the Behringer amps do. Do you ever plan on turning the PA speakers up so loud it will hurt party goers ears? Even if you put them outside the A500 will be enough to drive them to unreasonable levels of output unless there is something seriously askew with the PA speakers you will be using. The speakers aren't likely to take more than 100 watts a piece to run to more than reasonable output, and at 100 watts you would be insanely/unnecessarily loud.

R

roberco

Audioholic Intern
Thank you all for your valuable comments. Now I'm down to searching for a set of microphones mixer. Do you know where I can get a good set of mic and mixer?

D

DaveHo

Audioholic
I have some experience with the A500. IMHO if you're not buying a pair & bridging them look elsewhere. If those meters are anywhere close to accurate, I was easily able to clip a single running in stereo mode long before I thought it was too loud. But worse was that it really started to sound harsh & grainy when pushed, but not clipping. However, a bridged pair was a whole different animal. What's the sensitivity of the speakers you're using?

-Dave

R

roberco

Audioholic Intern
The speakers' sensitivity is 92db with 32-30,00 Hz Frequency Response

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have some experience with the A500. IMHO if you're not buying a pair & bridging them look elsewhere. If those meters are anywhere close to accurate, I was easily able to clip a single running in stereo mode long before I thought it was too loud. But worse was that it really started to sound harsh & grainy when pushed, but not clipping. However, a bridged pair was a whole different animal. What's the sensitivity of the speakers you're using?

-Dave
It really is a matter of how hard you want to drive the speakers and what they are.

And one of our most knowledgeable members posted a review of the A500. If you search the forum you will find it.

If an ep1500 is in your budget by all means go with that. It has enough power to drive subs.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

-Dave
You get what you pay for. 150 for an amp won't get you a lot.

R

roberco

Audioholic Intern
I'm about to place an order on the A500, but still want to make sure that it gives enough juice to power the 2 8ohms PA speakers. The reason behind this is that when I hook up the speakers to a Pioneer AV reciever that has 80W output, the sound begins to distort (unclean) and looses bass after I turned the volume upto 20%. I don't plan to break party goers ears and besides, my house isn't big enough to hold more than 30 people. I just want to make sure that the Behringer A500 can provide enough power to provide a clean sound at the level that doesn't pop people's ears. Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm about to place an order on the A500, but still want to make sure that it gives enough juice to power the 2 8ohms PA speakers. The reason behind this is that when I hook up the speakers to a Pioneer AV reciever that has 80W output, the sound begins to distort (unclean) and looses bass after I turned the volume upto 20%. I don't plan to break party goers ears and besides, my house isn't big enough to hold more than 30 people. I just want to make sure that the Behringer A500 can provide enough power to provide a clean sound at the level that doesn't pop people's ears. Any suggestion will be much appreciated.
It can provide 2 8 ohm channels 138W each with THD of 1% I imagine your Pioneer can't even come close in that output.

If you need more power than that you can always get a second and bridge the amps or upgrade to an ep1500. Which is used for small concerts.

If you find it isn't enough. I'm quite sure you can find an interested buyer here by posting in the classifieds area. I plan to get one of those to drive my subs at some point. May not have the head room of the ep1500, but the price is nice and when I do get the funds I can always make it a stereo amp for my speakers.

M

mannydingo

Audiophyte
I would do a Behringer also (They're named pyle for a reason;) )
Hi, guys. First post and probably won't be back often, if ever. I was just googling Pyle amps since there's one on Craigslist. Thanks for letting me know it's junk. I found that post so funny I had to register just to let you know how funny I found it. For those of you for whom it flew over your heads, Pyle is the same as a Pyle of ____. Get it? Pyle/Pile? Please tell me no one really needed that. Ha ha:D

A

aarowsmith

Audiophyte
PA Speakers matter for sound quality too.

Your no name brand PA speakers might be a problem, there is so many " No Name Brand Speakers " out there made in China by the lowest Contractor Bid, just like here in America, doesn't that make you feel all warm and cozy inside ?!

It can spell Doom for your Good Sound you obviously want !

Most No Name stuff has power ratings that are outrageous like 1,000 watts power handling and 120 db signal to noise ratio, do not believe it for Once in your life', unless of course it is a reputable brand name, but even then be careful' why ?.........

Ok so here is why:

The 1st weak link in your chain of good audio quality is really your equipment you use plain and simple: meaning bad A/C Line Power and or Line Noise and Grounding Problems like Hum Noise, your Mixer, the Mixer Source, Audio and Speaker cables, CD player, Record Player, Tape deck, MP3's and Loss of Quality Compressed Audio, E.Q unit etc.

Well your speakers are really the 2nd weak link here, and not really your amplifier.

Because if they, your PA speakers sound bad, then no good amplifier or audio source is going to make them sound any better !!!

And so your 3rd weak link naturally in your audio chain is your Power Amplifier.

Don't get me wrong here, their All Important Together here in making good audio sound quality, but what Sound Quality are You looking for, also in your Budget range/cost, so that is really the question here ?

Power amps have to be beefy enough to not clip when the music volume level demands it, a high dynamic power amp will make even cheapo' low wattage speakers last longer because they do not clip as easily. When you do clip an amplifier it is not pretty, and can ruin your speakers' voice coils, burn and scorch them to Toast !!!

Most PA name brand Power Amps are good enough to power large PA Speakers with large Sub Woofers in them, so I think the amplifier will not be a problem as long as you have a true 200 watt rating with a good dynamic headroom response of at least 20 db. And a distortion level of at least .07 at 1 khz. And look for PA Amplifiers that weigh allot more, because of their huge transformer(s) and Huge Power Capacitors inside that translates the 115 volt or 220 volts into a massive power output when the music demands it. Also look for at least a clean Dynamic Power output up to 500 watts Dynamic Level, that should be good for anyone with a stereo PA and Sub set up, and for up to 4 or 5 PA speakers total.

This a ball park and not exact, it really depends on the load of the speakers and that determines the power output and in the speaker Ohms load power handling rating you need in the amplifier.

If you have more PA speakers than say 5 total including your Sub, then you may need multiple amps or a PA amp that can handle multiple speaker channels and more than one Sub.

As the comments already suggested go with more reputable brand names, although I am not familiar with Technical Pro or Pyle Amps, Pyle did make some descent raw speaker drivers like Sub Woofers for car and home speakers at one time.

And I thought they sounded pretty good, but the Name Brand stuff coming out of China now is made better and sounds better than most of the Pyle stuff. ;)

Last edited:
J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
This is a pretty old thread......not sure it needs a revival.

N

nyg052003

Audiophyte
Hello guys,
I am going to paste what I said in another forum then add a few changes down below:

I have been seriously thinking that I want to eventually add a few more speakers to this system. Those 2 spkrs I want to be at least 12 inch subs with tweets and or horns, midrange, midbass. Maybe a set of Cerwin vegas. I also will need an amplifier to push them.

I was wondering if with my current reciever, the Onkyo ht s5100 7.1 surround system, if I can run the amplifier through one of the outs like the MD tape, or dvd, ect and be able to play the 12's at the same time with the rest of stereo. Or even maybe play the 12's alone by themselves. Can you give me some more insight on being able to do what I'm looking to do along these lines? \

I can upgrade to the Onkyo TxNr515 for 175 bucks and it has 100w per channel. Would that be 100w for the B speakers as well and if so would that 100w be sufficient to drive some 12 inch maybe cerwin vegas or something. I know the 5100 said if I had the B speakers playing with the A speakers, something it said about only 5.1 would be outputted or something to that nature

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Hello guys,
I am going to paste what I said in another forum then add a few changes down below
Actually, you should have started your own, new thread instead of resurrecting one thats been dead for three years.

I have been seriously thinking that I want to eventually add a few more speakers to this system. Those 2 spkrs I want to be at least 12 inch subs with tweets and or horns, midrange, midbass. Maybe a set of Cerwin vegas. I also will need an amplifier to push them.

I was wondering if with my current reciever, the Onkyo ht s5100 7.1 surround system, if I can run the amplifier through one of the outs like the MD tape, or dvd, ect and be able to play the 12's at the same time with the rest of stereo.
Yes, but you will only be able to play analog sources and you won't have any of the normal preamp control functions we all take for granted, such as volume and the like

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis