Best Subwoofer Under/at $1000.00 (delivered)

R

ryounglaw

Junior Audioholic
Ok guys, I need some help. I am new to high end HT and want some advice. I have $1000.00 for buy a new sub, no more including delivery. My room HT is set up an old refurbished townhouse and is basically the entire first floor, I know not the best. The room is 35 long x 8 high x 13 feet wide (3,640 cubic feet). Though we may not be here for long that’s the situation now. I have heard so much about svs and hsu and outlaw. What would be the best sub in that price range given my room specs?

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Two SVSs - PB10-NSD one at each end of the room

Ok guys, I need some help. I am new to high end HT and want some advice. I have $1000.00 for buy a new sub, no more including delivery. My room HT is set up an old refurbished townhouse and is basically the entire first floor, I know not the best. The room is 35 long x 8 high x 13 feet wide (3,640 cubic feet). Though we may not be here for long that’s the situation now. I have heard so much about svs and hsu and outlaw. What would be the best sub in that price range given my room specs?
Looooooooooooooooooooong Big room need two subs, one at each end.

Two SVSs - PB10-NSD $429 each plus shipping

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

annunaki

annunaki

If DIY is an option, two of avaserifi's DIY Infinity sub's and the Behringer EP2500 will demolish anything commercially available at that price point. You may be able to even get a DCX2496 for balancing response to boot.

Matt34

Matt34

I highly suggest looking into DIY as suggested by Annunaki with that size room and budget. However, if it's not possible look at either the SVS PB-12 or HSU VTF 3.3. A nearfield placement might help a bit in such a huge room.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Shipping costs will depend upon where you live. The SVS PC12-Plus is on sale now for $949 plus shipping:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_plus.cfm

You can also try to buy used. Some time ago, I purchased a pair of SVS CS-Ultras, a power amp, and a new EQ for just under a grand. Great bass at a great price (for what it is), though, of course, the subwoofers and power amp were used (though in great condition, and they still are working perfectly). But if I were buying new, I would buy the SVS PC12-Plus, assuming that you can get it delivered on budget.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
At that price range, you don't even have to 'really' build anything in order to DIY. You can simply buy a very specific driver, amp and pre-built/pre-finished sealed cabinet and cut a hole in the cabinet and install the driver. THAT simple. And it will be far superior to any commercial name brand product for the same price.

-Chris

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I believe Speakerman39 is selling his dual Outlaw LFM subs and you might be able to squeek those in for about a grand.

Otherwise, does AV123 still have the dual MFW 15 for $999? If so, I highly suggest them. I have a room that is almost identical to yours...just slightly bigger and the two MFWs pound in this room AND sound terrific too!

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
a used SVS or 2 if you can find someone willing to part with them.
Honestly you won't hear many people say they made a mistake buying a SVS.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
a used SVS or 2 if you can find someone willing to part with them.
Honestly you won't hear many people say they made a mistake buying a SVS.
You have a type in your Signature.

"SVS BP 12-Ultra" Should be PB no?

Oh, I made a mistake buying SVS.

:D

SheepStar

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Retail products are substantially over-rated. A fair amount of the cost you pay is marketing and other overhead related articles.

Assembling your own based on knowledgeable advice of those with advanced knowledge is the best solution to obtain maximum value and performance for any given price range.

Or, ignore this advice and buy brand name pre-assembled prodcuts, throwing away money in the process.

-Chris

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Retail products are substantially over-rated. A fair amount of the cost you pay is marketing and other overhead related articles.

Assembling your own based on knowledgeable advice of those with advanced knowledge is the best solution to obtain maximum value and performance for any given price range.

Or, ignore this advice and buy brand name pre-assembled prodcuts, throwing away money in the process.

-Chris
Not everyone wants to build things. Not everyone is well-advised to try, as there are plenty of people who are not "handy". So for such people, they will not be throwing away money by buying an already made subwoofer, as they are not going to be able to do a good job making something themselves. Also, not everyone has the necessary tools, either, and buying them for one project is going to eat into the cost savings you mention.

Also, there are plenty of places to get bad advice for a subwoofer, so if one follows the wrong plan, the results will not be good. So I think you should give more specific advice -- which actual woofer, amp, and cabinet combination would you recommend for the price of $1k?

As an additional point, the cost of overhead varies considerably. Often, companies that sell factory direct can offer better values than what one normally finds at retail stores. This is not to say that it will not be more than what one would pay if one built it oneself, but there is certainly a good deal of variability in how much money one is "throwing away" for the convenience of not having to figure out what to build and then actually to build it.

And, of course, there is also the possibility of buying something used. This can be the very best value, as sometimes one can get subwoofers below the cost of just the woofers. I did that with a pair of used SVS subwoofers (so if I were to ever destroy one of the woofers, it would cost me more to fix it than I paid for the complete subwoofer in its cabinet). However, what is available used varies from time to time and place to place, and one must be careful to make sure one is getting something that works properly, so this isn't always going to be the best advice to give someone, either. But it is something that one should keep in mind, if one is inclined in that direction.

I

iresq

Audiophyte
Otherwise, does AV123 still have the dual MFW 15 for $999? If so, I highly suggest them. I have a room that is almost identical to yours...just slightly bigger and the two MFWs pound in this room AND sound terrific too!
The current deal is 4/$2000.

R

ryounglaw

Junior Audioholic
I am leaning toward the PC-12 Plus. Can I go wrong with that?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Excellent choice, I have the cylinder version of it, and it will rock your world.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Not everyone wants to build things. Not everyone is well-advised to try, as there are plenty of people who are not "handy". So for such people, they will not be throwing away money by buying an already made subwoofer, as they are not going to be able to do a good job making something themselves. Also, not everyone has the necessary tools, either, and buying them for one project is going to eat into the cost savings you mention.

Also, there are plenty of places to get bad advice for a subwoofer, so if one follows the wrong plan, the results will not be good. So I think you should give more specific advice -- which actual woofer, amp, and cabinet combination would you recommend for the price of $1k?
I offer very specific advice, and a multitude of options based on the capability of the person. I can suggest very high quality solutions that involve only buying pre-made/pre-finished sealed cabinets and the user only has to cut a hole for the driver and/or amplifier and connect the wires. No skill at all is required for this. I do not point people to other websites for advice, and I personally make sure that the user knows all of the variables involved if they actually want to do the project. But so far, no one in this thread has actually asked about anything even remotely specific. But since you asked..... here is a no skill required 'DIY' project that will give you higher SPL and lower distortion, than any of the product recommended from commercial vendors so far except maybe the 15" slot ported AV123 option, but I would wager the distortion will be much higher on the AV123 as compared to the following solution:

For $650-$700, one can build a superb sealed 12" subwoofer that will radically outperform most commercial products costing several times as much. For the non-skilled person, I recommend at this price, the Eclipse SW8200 12" driver(it has more linear displacement than most 15" drivers), which is an extraordinary quality device designed by TC Sounds. It has 3x the linear excursion(as verified in 3rd party Klippel analysis) of a normal very high quality 12" driver. Use the 3 cubic foot Dayton Audio sealed pre-fab cabinet, it comes finished in textured black paint. Use the O Audio 500 watt BASH amplifier. It has just enough power and the needed parametric EQ band to get the desired smooth response in this cabinet with this woofer. The amplifier is very high quality, and even made in North America(Canada), and has been measured/verified by 3rd party to be a quality amplification device. Actual output power into 4 Ohm load, continuous, is 430 watts.

If the person won't even cut a hole, then they can take the cabinet, driver and amp down to any car audio shop and they will cut the holes and install the parts for less then 50 dollars.

Driver: $190+shipping
Cabinet: $190+shipping
Amp: $230+shipping

-Chris

Last edited:
R

ryounglaw

Junior Audioholic
I would love to build one but time and my job really prohibit that. I would like to but it and plug it in. I know that is sad but i simply do not have the time. these are all great suggestions. I wish i could do it.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I would love to build one but time and my job really prohibit that. I would like to but it and plug it in. I know that is sad but i simply do not have the time. these are all great suggestions. I wish i could do it.
Order amp, driver and cabinet. Buy a 6' $2 extension cord at local store to use as the speaker wire(amp may already have suitable length of wire included). Cut 2 holes. Use some common closed cell gray vinyl weatherstripping as a gasket to get air tight seal for driver. Screw driver and amp in. Set controls on back of amp. Plug into sound system. No building involved.

-Chris

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Dayton Audio makes the Titanic 15" 1000 w/rms kit at $750. Everything is ready to go. All you have to do is mount the driver and connect the wires. Took me 20 minutes, and I am far from a Mr. Fixit kind of guy.
If that's still too much work, you can get one pre-assembled for another $200.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
PC-12 Plus = Powered Cylinder
How exactly does that work, cylinder version of a cylinder?? :confused::p LOL
lol, for some reason I read PB, not PC.

In that case, get the PC+

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers