SVS PB13-Ultra Vs. Martin & Logan Decent i

D

derek44

Enthusiast
Please help me decide.

If price was not a deciding factor between these two and the decision was based purely on performance. Which one of these would you purchase. Which one brings the cleanest thunder to a movie or cd?

thanks for your input!

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
The PB13 will wipe the floor with the Logan Descent and for the retail price of the Descent i you can get two Ultra's which will make the Descent seem like a 100 watt 10" Sony subwofer.... :eek:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The PB13 will wipe the floor with the Logan Descent and for the retail price of the Descent i you can get two Ultra's which will make the Descent seem like a 100 watt 10" Sony subwofer.... :eek:
The Descent-i is a very good sub. Like a 10" Sony sub? WTF fanboi?

WTheF___ pays retail anyways? Yeah, I know, ID's retail = real cost.

You can crank a Descent-i so that the walls are shaking, and put a nickel on its side on top, and it won't even move.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
As a matter of fact, yes, those specs indicate the Ultra would wipe the floor output wise in 20 Hz mode for sure.....
Please note that is not the descent i linked its the depth. And while some think the ultra is better to say that an ultra would wipe the floor with the descént is not at all True.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Sorry to spark so much nonsense here....

And forgive me that you cannot tell I was be facetious Josten, but I am fully aware that the Descent i is a very good sub....but I would not consider the performance given the price justified especially when compared to the price/performance of ID products like the SVS....and I do understand that the OP said price was not an object but nonetheless, as I pointed out, the retail of the Descent buys you two Ultras or if you
want to put even more in your pocket get some room correction/eq (Berinhger, Velo SMS, .....) with one Ultra and you will have very well tailored sub in your room and a unit that will likely outperform the Descent i....

You can crank a Descent-i so that the walls are shaking, and put a nickel on its side on top, and it won't even move.
And if we are going to be making b*tchy comments on here instead of really trying to help Josten.....WTheF cares what a nickel does on a sub when its cranked up....what does the have to do with performance or sound quality aside from NOTHING....

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Please note that is not the descent i linked its the depth. And while some think the ultra is better to say that an ultra would wipe the floor with the descént is not at all True.
So why did you post the specs for the depth??

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Okay, after a little more reading, it does appear that these two subs may be roughly equivalent, with the decent being twice as expensive as the Ultra. Based on that, I would get dual Ultras and be done with it (Oh I did :)).

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
So why did you post the specs for the depth??
Was trying to get across that the design for both is good
Okay, after a little more reading, it does appear that these two subs may be roughly equivalent, with the decent being twice as expensive as the Ultra. Based on that, I would get dual Ultras and be done with it (Oh I did :)).
i agree with the dollar to performance ratio:)

P

ppomerantz

Audiophyte
Was trying to get across that the design for both is good

i agree with the dollar to performance ratio:)
New user here. I have been upgrading Home Theater recently and Sub is next in line. Recently got used ML Mosaics and Fresco for Fronts and Center and really enjoying them. Looking at a ML Grotto, Hsu VTF2-MK3, or ED A2-300. Would buy the Grotto used for around $600, Hsu running around $550 and ED would be much less. My room is not that large. I see you have an Abyss along with other ML's and wonder how you like the Abyss and did you ever audition a Grotto or Grottoi. I would have PM'd you but don't have 5 posts.

Thanx

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
Can't say anyting about the martin logan sub since I have never heard it. But I have never heard my Ultra distort one bit even at some ridiculous high dB level and I have a pretty large and open room. I can only imagine how insanely awesome 2 would sound...

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
New user here. I have been upgrading Home Theater recently and Sub is next in line. Recently got used ML Mosaics and Fresco for Fronts and Center and really enjoying them. Looking at a ML Grotto, Hsu VTF2-MK3, or ED A2-300. Would buy the Grotto used for around $600, Hsu running around $550 and ED would be much less. My room is not that large. I see you have an Abyss along with other ML's and wonder how you like the Abyss and did you ever audition a Grotto or Grottoi. I would have PM'd you but don't have 5 posts.

Thanx
Pm sent for u

T

Tod

Audioholic
Please help me decide.

If price was not a deciding factor between these two and the decision was based purely on performance. Which one of these would you purchase. Which one brings the cleanest thunder to a movie or cd?

thanks for your input!
One problem you'll likely run into here (if you can't tell) is that most people have probably not actually heard both of the subs, let alone spent enough quality time to make their own judgments. That leaves basically specs and $$$, and it is true that the idea of 2 Ultras vs. 1 Descent for the price could tip the scales.

I don't have the Descent i, just the original, but I got it for $1700 used (the price shipped of the oak Ultra I was considering at the time), and have suffered not the slightest, tiniest bit of buyer's remorse or upgraditis. I have not heard an Ultra personally either, so maybe that doesn't mean much, but there's never a moment when I wish I had more or paid less. The only upgrade I'm even considering is when I get around to it, perhaps getting a Descent i and moving my original one to my 2-channel set up. I have some other speaker upgrades on the list first though...

Anyway, if you don't mind the idea of used things check out Audiogon. You can save considerably if you go with the Descent.

D

derek44

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the feedback here. Sounds like either way, it will rock, but if i want to destroy my house sounds like 2 SVS subs would be the way to go :) not sure if the wife would go for two of those bad boys. sounds like on a one to one comparison they both rock, but the ML will be twice the costs. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis