Do I need a pre-amp for my turntable?

V

Vart

Audioholic
I just hooked my turntable (onkyo cp-1114A) up to the phono inputs on my 805 and I have to crank the volume all the way up to get any sound at all out of the speakers. Do I need a pre-amp or is there a setting that i missed on the receiver? The turntable worked fine on my old Yamaha without using a preamp.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just hooked my turntable (onkyo cp-1114A) up to the phono inputs on my 805 and I have to crank the volume all the way up to get any sound at all out of the speakers. Do I need a pre-amp or is there a setting that i missed on the receiver? The turntable worked fine on my old Yamaha without using a preamp.
Corporate trickery again. That input needs a phone preamp, sorry. I think they should only label a phono inputs as such, if it is an RIAA equalized high gain input. This is just playing fast with the truth.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Assuming you ar referring to the Onkyo TX-SR805, this blurb says it has a phono input. I can't find more on the 805 but the 806 lists a sensitivity/impedance of 2.5 mV/47 k-ohms, suitible for a mm cartridge.

to wit : http://www.theosfiles.com/zzz/receiver_compare_onkyo.html

Unless they lied, it should work. Check your connections, your manual, and finally, customer service.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Assuming you ar referring to the Onkyo TX-SR805, this blurb says it has a phono input. I can't find more on the 805 but the 806 lists a sensitivity/impedance of 2.5 mV/47 k-ohms, suitible for a mm cartridge.

to wit : http://www.theosfiles.com/zzz/receiver_compare_onkyo.html

Unless they lied, it should work. Check your connections, your manual, and finally, customer service.
We have had this before. Those phono inputs are line level. Yes, they lied and this is becoming prevalent. Their excuse is that a number of turntables now have built in preamps!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think thats disgusting that companies resort to that kinda BS. :mad: Even my cheap old Technics as a real phono stage and it works quite well.

I'm buying a new YamahaRXV1800 and I sure hope its phono input is a real phono input and is as good as the one on my Technic's receiver.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I think thats disgusting that companies resort to that kinda BS. :mad: Even my cheap old Technics as a real phono stage and it works quite well.

I'm buying a new YamahaRXV1800 and I sure hope its phono input is a real phono input and is as good as the one on my Technic's receiver.
Oh, no.:eek:
You may have to keep and continue to operate that old Technics for the TT:D

V

Vart

Audioholic
It's pretty disappointing that it isn't a "real" phono input on my receiver. It wasn't one of the major factors that made me go with the 805, but when I was researching it I remember seeing that it had a phono input and thinking "good, now I won't have to spend more to buy a preamp".

No he doesn't! There are preamps for every budget here.
It's crazy how expensive some of those are. Are they really worth that much?

Anybody have any other suggestions for an affordable preamp?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
A question.

It's pretty disappointing that it isn't a "real" phono input on my receiver. It wasn't one of the major factors that made me go with the 805, but when I was researching it I remember seeing that it had a phono input and thinking "good, now I won't have to spend more to buy a preamp".
That sucks.

One question, though. I know what the blurbs on the net say about it having a built-in phono stage, but what does your manual say? I'm still shaking my head that they can get away with a bald-faced lie like that.

Affordable is relative term but NAD makes some for around $125 or so (a bit more for mc) and that seems to be a fairly good compromise.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No you don't have to spend a ton of money on a tube phono preamp. However the link I sent you has preamps starting at around $30! How cheap do you want?

The cheapest one is a bit bass shy, but if you buy this Audio Technica for just under $70 you will be set.

I highly recommend Needle Doctor as a place to do business with, by the way.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai

The RX-V2600 that I have, supposedly has the same or very similar pre-amp stage. Mine has real phono inputs and it's a superb phono pre. Though, I still ended up getting a stand alone.....

-Chris

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Is it possible you are using a MC cartridge?
I doubt it. It worked with his Technics. We had this crop up before, and I downloaded the Onkyo manual, and found those inputs were line level for turntables with preamps.

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
I doubt it. It worked with his Technics. We had this crop up before, and I downloaded the Onkyo manual, and found those inputs were line level for turntables with preamps.
Gotcha. That's just plain crazy that they would do such a thing...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you meant Yamaha for the OP. I'm the one with the Technics.

As far as phono pre-amps go, ProJect offers a decent performer for $125. Cdn

V

Vart

Audioholic
The specs section of the manula has phono overload listed as 70mV (MM 1kHz, 0.5%)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The specs section of the manula has phono overload listed as 70mV (MM 1kHz, 0.5%)
I have to make a correction. We had an Onkyo with this problem a few months ago, and that receiver clearly stated that the phono input was line level and for use with turntables with a phono preamp stage. I assumed by the nature of your complaint it was the same problem.

I have downloaded the manual for your particular receiver, and it would appear that your phono input is a RIAA input for MM cartridges. It appears that this input has inadequate gain for your cartridge. What cartridge are you using? It seems you have two options. To replace your cartridge for one with higher output. There is quite a range in the output of MM cartridges. Your other option is to use a phono preamp and use one of the line level inputs.
Sorry for the confusion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis