purchased yamaha rx-z7

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
After much extensive research for a new pre-pro, I decided to go with a Yamaha RX-Z7.

I wanted the new Rotel RSP-1570, but my local Rotel/B&W dealer doesn't ever seem to want to make a sell. The Rotel was also lacking many features, but it was cool.

I also wanted the new Marantz AV-8003, but I liked what the Yamaha had to offer. I also got the Yamaha for $549.96 less than my best deal on the Marantz.

It offers some pretty cool features, but the selling point is what I read on the Audioholics site.

This is taken from the article:
The RX-Z7 shares many of the same virtues as their RX-Z11 flagship but with an improved implementation of Anchor Bays top end video processor which does mosquito noise reduction, block noise reduction and fine detail and edge enhancement. The RX-Z7 incorporates Anchor Bay's PReP (Progressive ReProcessing) for improving progressive video signals and artifact removal. Their video processing also provides seven different video adjustment parameters with six independent storage settings to ensure all of your video sources can be properly calibrated through this receiver.

On the audio side, all of the latest hidef formats are supported for decoding and the RX-Z7 features a digital system clock generator which is said to isolate the DSP devices and DAC's from digital inputs to prevent jitter. The RX-Z7 is the only receiver of the three mentioned herein that offer this level of video and audio processing as well as a preamp mode which redirects all seven internal channels to other zones or turns them off entirely so you can use a more powerful separate multi channel amplifier when needed.

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Nice, if you get a chance to play with the video paramters will you post some thoughts.
Thanks

Scott

J

jamie2112

Banned
Sweet Buy there Zummy. The video section sounds killer...:D

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
SWEEEEEET.:D

After you get it in please post some pics. I'd really like to see your whole setup with the Marantz BR and your MB Quart's.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
You bet. Gonna take me a while to get it set-up.
Now Zumbo, you are beginning to sound like me! :D:D No really, congrats on your purchase. Now get the lead out and get it set-up. Post some pics if you don't mind. You are one lucky guy! ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Now Zumbo, you are beginning to sound like me! :D:D No really, congrats on your purchase. Now get the lead out and get it set-up. Post some pics if you don't mind. You are one lucky guy! ;);)

Cheers,

Phil
I just ordered today 11/20.;)

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Very Nice Zumbo! That new Yamaha and your Blu ray should make movie watching fun!

gixxerific

gixxerific

Audioholic
I hear nothing but good things about that Yammy so have fun and don't forget to invite us over for the unavailing.!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Dont you just hate ordering gear on a thursday?? having to wait sat and sun:mad: errrrrrr:p

gixxerific

gixxerific

Audioholic
Dont you just hate ordering gear on a thursday?? having to wait sat and sun:mad: errrrrrr:p
LOL I hear ya on that. I ordered stuff twice last year. Both times was right before a holiday, Thanksgiving and than agian before New years or Christmans one of those. But anyway's there was an extra 2 or 3 day's plus the weekend to wait before the order was even processed. When will I learn?

Dono

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Well, that will be nice.

An awesome machine for sure!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
It's here.

Got my Z7 today.:D:D:D:D

Made in Malaysia, just as my previous Yamaha.;)

It will take a while to get some pictures up, but I will be posting updates as I find something exciting.:cool:

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Got unit connected.

Running through some quick start-up features to get the most important stuff done first.

Z7 has separate x-over points for f/fp/c/s/sb.:D

I was going to accept the fact that Yamaha doesn't let you set separate points, and am excited to find-out this one does.:D:D:D

And, the sub x-over point is separate from that.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Pretty much done for tonight. Went to work at 1:00 AM.:(

My wife, mil, and daughter are going shopping tomorrow. I will run YPAO then.:)

There is a difference in the LFE output settings with this unit compared to my 1400.

The 1400 had LFE settings of FRNT, SWFR, or BOTH. I used SWFR, set all speakers to SMALL, and set x-over to 60Hz. A non LFE source would send LFE to sub. FRNT would send LFE to the mains. BOTH would send LFE to sub and mains, and not allow you to set the mains to SMALL.

The Z7 has LFE settings of Front + SWFR, SWFR, and Front. Front + SWFR sends LFE to the sub during non LFE playback with all speakers set to SMALL. SWFR only sends LFE to sub if there is a LFE track. A Front option will not allow you to select the SMALL size in the GUI for the mains, and no LFE will be sent to the sub.

It's different, and better thought-out. I see why there has been so much confusion with this in the past.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was going to accept the fact that Yamaha doesn't let you set separate points, and am excited to find-out this one does.:D:D:D

And, the sub x-over point is separate from that.
You have no faith!:D Don't you know you are playing with a high end receiver now?:)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I almost didn't buy another Yamaha due to BM. Boy, am I stoked!:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis