What is the best sound bar on the market today?

H

hodge913

Enthusiast
What is the best sound bar or similar technology on the market. Do any of them even come close to surround sound?

I have a room in the basement that will be nearly impossible to wire rear speakers?

Thanks for the reply!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
There are also wireless options.

As for sound bars, I have no personal experience - but I'd look into the Yamaha models. They seem to get pretty good reviews. They (or any system trying to generate sound reflections) won't work in every room set-up, but you could always give one a try.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
It's never impossible. IMO, a mediocre 5.1 system will still sound better than any sound bar.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Def Tech CLR3000

What is the best sound bar or similar technology on the market. Do any of them even come close to surround sound?

I have a room in the basement that will be nearly impossible to wire rear speakers?

Thanks for the reply!
Okay, this is not exactly a sound bar, but it is an awesome center channel and I think it would sound great all by itself, a Defintive Technology CLR3000 I have one of these installed in my systemand do have experience with it!

C/L/R 3000 Specifications:

Dimensions: 25" W x 8-5/16" H x 16" D.
Response: 19 – 30 kHz.
Nominal Imp.: 4 – 8 ohms.
Rec. amp: 20 – 400 watts.
Built-in sub amp: 150 watts RMS.
Efficiency: 91 dB
Drivers:
– One cast basket 10" sub with one 150-Watt RMS amplifier
– Two cast basket 6-1/2" upper-bass/midrange drivers
– One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter
Auto On/Off: Signal sensing.
Finish: Piano-Gloss Black. Tri-wireable.
Retail: $1099 ea.

weight 55lbs.

Polk Audio's soundbar , SurroundBar 360 DVD Theater ,they claim simultate surround sound. I have no experience with this product though.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/surroundbar/buynow.php

The SurroundBar 360º DVD Theater is the best performing single-speaker surround sound theater system on the market.

Based on our highly acclaimed original SurroundBar, the SurroundBar 360° DVD Theater adds all the electronics needed along with patented* SDA® Surround Digital Technology, to deliver sensational surround sound.

Best of CES 2008 - Home Audio finalist.
We were honored when The SurroundBar 360 DVD Theater was one of only 3 home audio products selected for this year's prestigious Best of CES Home Audio award. Based upon our SDA Surround Sound Technology, this groundbreaking home theater system produces truly sensational surround sound from a single speaker, without the need for a subwoofer. The addition of Polk SDA Digital Surround guarantees the highest level of performance with no complicated setup or calibration necessary.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
While I have no experience with any other brand, the Yamaha units create an amazing sound stage and surround effect as long as the room is not too oddly shaped. They even sound great in stereo. It actually sounds like there are three speakers up front and several in back. You can walk around the room and hear sound coming from different spots on the wall. If a true surround system is not a possibility then the Yamaha unit is a great option.

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
Mirage

Mirage has a good soundbar that you can find on special

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Make sure you buy the right bar. Some are actually just the front 3 channels, and don't simulate surround! :):eek:

SheepStar

itschris

itschris

Disclosure: I own Def Techs

... I have read in several of the mags that the Def Tech sound bar was outstanding as well as the Yammy. Sheep brings up a solid point about them though. The cheaper ones are just speakers in large horizontal cabinet. The higher end ones like the Def Tech have some pretty interesting technology in them.

I'd still go wireless first though. For the same amount of cash as a good soundbar, you could get a competent wireless system.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker options

They Yamaha sound bars are supposed to work pretty well in a small square room.

I would recommend a 3.1 system with bookshelf of on-wall speakers before I resorted to the sound bar. Some of these EMP speakers flank the sides and bottom of the display like the sound bar:
http://store.audioholics.com/section/66209/1/on-wall-speakers

It is pretty easy to run speaker wire under the carpet or base boards if you want to add the surround channels. If you have wood floors, you can hide the wires behind some crown molding.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Go 2.1 instead if you can't/don't want to run rears and put more money into the L and R and subwoofer. I think the benefit you'd get from that, and even the immersion, would be better than a soundbar can provide.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis